Suddenly loose control with my Phantom

Reaction score
Hello!

Ive had my Phantom for 2months now and it has been superb, flying like a champ even in wind and it has always had very good flying distance. I was very satisifed.

Today though, I tested with gopro, yes Gopro had wifi on.
Everytime I flew away or up to 50 feet it lost connection with my controller, and controls were impossible to regain. Failsafe activates, it lands and after landing it regain controls with my controller.
Tested again, flew up to 50feet, same thing happend two times before the last time i tried - after replacing battery in the controller, a wind gust kicked the damned phantom straight into the housewall when it was self-landing. So now the props are screwed.

Batteries in controller is brand new and GPS is working perfect.

What can be wrong? Im charging the battery again now to test tomorrow, but this is dangerous and kinda scary.
What really pisses me off is that I cant regain control before AFTER it has landed.. even after tourning tx on and off again or whatever I push on the tx

Yeah I read that you should leave wifi OFF, after this issue occured.
But I also noticed that the only problem the wifi on gopro could give you were to screw up the gps, not the rx unit?

It has worked perfectly with gopro and wifi on for 6-7 times before this suddenly happened.

Going to try tomorrow with no gopro onboard and also check the distance between tx/rx before take off

sindrejl said:
But I also noticed that the only problem the wifi on gopro could give you were to screw up the gps, not the rx unit?

It has worked perfectly with gopro and wifi on for 6-7 times before this suddenly happened.

You're playing with fire there - running WiFi/GoPro- The wifi won't bother GPS it has issues with 2,4 freq that TX uses (same when flying around wireless internet towers, etc...)

Plan on putting a reward sticker on it if you continue running GoPro wifi - because she's going to be gone with the wind...

sindrejl, flying (or trying to) with the gopro wifi turned on will definitely cause the exact type of problem you described. As soon as the Phantom gets 30-50 feet away from you in any direction (or above you), the controller's signal is no longer strong enough to break through the interference caused by the wifi being broadcast from the gopro, 6 inches or less away from your receiver's antenna.

This is why DJI went with 5.8GHz for the controller on the P2V, to avoid interference from the wifi video signal.

EMCSQUAR said:
sindrejl said:

You're playing with fire there - running WiFi/GoPro- The wifi won't bother GPS it has issues with 2,4 freq that TX uses (same when flying around wireless internet towers, etc...)

Plan on putting a reward sticker on it if you continue running GoPro wifi - because she's going to be gone with the wind...

No no never putting my beloved Phantom in danger, I read about the wifi issue with gopro AFTER I got connection problems :) Tomorrow Ill try without the camera and see if the gopro wifi was the problem. I will report back here ;)

Do a ground test, Turn on your Tx and unit but don't start the motors, Walk away fifty or sixty feet and see if you get the flashing yellow. Make sure you don't have the Go Pro on at all to be sure. If you do get the transmitter lost signal then go into your assistant software and make sure your range is set properly if so and your still getting the loss at that range then I would say it's your Rx, I've had mine work fine at five feet and then loss signal, Replaced the Rx and it works fine now!

Okay, did a ground test withouth Gopro mounted today, no problems. Test-flew a couple of meeters up and down to see if everything were ok/not damaged after the crash yesterday. Everything seemed perfect.

So when the wind calmed this evening I did a night-fly (I love flying in the night) and everything worked perfectly.

So it must be the GoPro Wifi that screwed up the rx unit the other day.
Im still pretty amazed how much beating this multikopter can take, and still got no gelly on the gopro video :)

Ill post a video, of my flyby over my House here in Norway, later ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj