Sudden vibration during flight

All four were mounted upon purchase, you mean that I should remove two of them? There were also spare dampers included in addition to the mounted ones.
At this point, I would suggest you talk to an official DJI rep. All 4 mounted on purchase sounds wrong, like you either got a counterfeit model or one that was used.

A DJI rep can say so for sure and be a lot more authoritative on the matter than me (or anyone else on these discussion/opinion forums), but I've unpackaged three brand new P3Ps now and they all came with only 2 mounted dampers.

Plus, I've seen threads on these forums supporting the assertion that there should only be 2 mounted. In fact, I recall at least one thread where 4 mounted dampers was the actual cause of vibrations in video.

Chris

Reactions: aenbacka
At this point, I would suggest you talk to an official DJI rep. All 4 mounted on purchase sounds wrong, like you either got a counterfeit model or one that was used.

A DJI rep can say so for sure and be a lot more authoritative on the matter than me (or anyone else on these discussion/opinion forums), but I've unpackaged three brand new P3Ps now and they all came with only 2 mounted dampers.

Plus, I've seen threads on these forums supporting the assertion that there should only be 2 mounted. In fact, I recall at least one thread where 4 mounted dampers was the actual cause of vibrations in video.

Chris
Any official pics available what it should look like?

Chris

My P3A had all four dampers installed, but only two of them had the clear pins in them, diagonally across from each other, just like in aenbacka's pictures. Every one I've seen is this way.

All four were mounted upon purchase, you mean that I should remove two of them? There were also spare dampers included in addition to the mounted ones.
[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102] normally you should have 4 dampers installed with 4 clear spins And 2 others as spare parts ...

Best are yours

I was in contact with DJI concerning the vibrations, and after seeing the video they suggested trying with a different set of props. Sounds reasonable? Also, if it does not help they would open up service ticket.

I was flying today again in sunny weather, and also noticed similar vibrations in the video footage, for longer periods. However, when changing flight directions they seemed to disappear. Could these types sympthoms be jello, caused by high shutter speed? I used auto settings and no ND filter, and it was very bright weather.

Its 100% NOT the dampers. I'd be surprised if it were the props? Seems like a blatant guess on DJI's part. Its the gimbal motor IMO. My P3A did it for the first time tonight. I flew a Litchi mission over a nearby lake. It was about to rain and the humidity was about 70%. The moisture made the gimbal motor bug out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: aenbacka
[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102] normally you should have 4 dampers installed with 4 clear spins And 2 others as spare parts ...

Best are yours

Not correct, the normal is 4 dampers, 2 clear locks and 2 spares.

Its 100% NOT the dampers. I'd be surprised if it were the props? Seems like a blatant guess on DJI's part. Its the gimbal motor IMO. My P3A did it for the first time tonight. I flew a Litchi mission over a nearby lake. It was about to rain and the humidity was about 70%. The moisture made the gimbal motor bug out.

Thanks for feedback. Is there some logs or anything that could indicate issues with the
gimbal motor?

Edit: New video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here you can see vibrations in the beginning, however after direction change they seen to disappear.

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback. Is there some logs or anything that could indicate issues with the
gimbal motor?

Edit: New video

Here you can see vibrations in the beginning, however after direction change they seen to disappear.

My problem seems a bit more severe. Like the gimbal switches between Follow to FPV mode when banking right (seems fine when banking left.). As far as I know there isn't any data or logs we can pull from the P3 that tell us gimbal info?

Watch my video from 4:05-4:13. It happens again at 4:39-4:47

My problem seems a bit more severe. Like the gimbal switches between Follow to FPV mode when banking right (seems fine when banking left.).
Your video has "stormy" in the title. How windy was it?

Because the gimbal can only compensate so much for yaw. If when turning, you were turning into the wind and it was a heavy wind, the craft might have had to lean heavily to the right, past the tolerance for gimbal. See what I'm getting at?

Try at at home. Looking at the Go screen on your device, tilt the powered-up bird to one side, keep going, until the gimbal maxes out; then the image on your screen will tilt.

Eh?

Because the gimbal can only compensate so much for yaw. If when turning, you were turning into the wind and it was a heavy wind, the craft might have had to lean heavily to the right, past the tolerance for gimbal. See what I'm getting at?

Try at at home. Looking at the Go screen on your device, tilt the powered-up bird to one side, keep going, until the gimbal maxes out; then the image on your screen will tilt. Eh?
Yeah man, I see what you're getting at. Wind was a whopping 4mph at 250ft. I was flying at 140ft. So wind for sure isn't the cause. It was literally dead calm as you can see by the lake surface.

I just did the test at home without props. Prior to the test I did a gimbal calibration. Same thing happened in my test when banking right. The gimbal growled a little too. Even more strange, I cycled the power off and on for a second test and it disappeared. Seems to be intermittent...

My problem seems a bit more severe. Like the gimbal switches between Follow to FPV mode when banking right (seems fine when banking left.). As far as I know there isn't any data or logs we can pull from the P3 that tell us gimbal info?

Watch my video from 4:05-4:13. It happens again at 4:39-4:47
Most of what I see is a problem with your settings.

Go here and watch this video to help with that. To me, his data is spot on the money and I think his stuff is a value to the Phantom community.

Go to this link:

Complaints About Bad Video

Try flying with the Go app and see if it's the same. How many retainer pins are installed in your gimbal mount? You should only have two - diagonal from each other.

Yeah there are 2 there. Props are balanced as well. Bench test replicated it today, but disappeared after power cycling the bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic