Sudden Gimbal Movement during flight.

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the gimbal suddenly moving to a 45 degree angle and then back again during flight.

This seems to be recurring from time to time.

It frustrating having to edit the footage of an otherwise smooth run.

It sounds like an intermittent short or open circuit to me. 45 degrees represents 1/2 of the total range of the gimbal as far as I know and if it is controlled by a 4 bit or 8 bit parallel signal (not uncharacteristic of ribbon cable), the first wire will represent 50% of the control signal (e.g., 0000=0%, 1000=50%, 1111=100%). In other words it takes only one wire to fail to cause the 45% change. Having said this, I have no idea what the electrical schematic looks like so this is a very speculative guess.

--- edit ---

As an afterthought, what I described above could be just a cocked connector. One end of the connector is going to come "open" first if the connector is cocked at its mating half. That's only one possibility, but it's a fairly easy condition to check for.

Good luck,

Yes i had it on latest runs.
Do you have a TK102 ? or similar ?

Hi Guys - srry for late response myself.

Been flying quite a bit.

The issue of which I speak pretty much happens at least once every flight now, if not two or three times.

I'm not sure what you mean by a TK102 - Its just the stock Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

Nice run down on the technical side of things there slothead - although I don't fully grasp it, I'll look for any-wires that look out of place.

It happens mostly in high winds or when I am moving very fast, however having said that, its also happens on slow runs as well.

i'll learn to live with it although frustrating.

I am not happy with the DJI camera - it's turned out to be rather limited imo. You really have to pick your times when you go out and have it facing just the right way - screen flickr is pretty common when flying into the sun and the pixalization that occurs has me wanting to change the whole setup at any rate. Learning various editing techniques may help, but the initial limitations with the camera are imo best overcome with obtaining one of the latest go/pros - in the mean time - I fly at different times of the day over two days to get decent footage.

I'll live and work with the dicky gimbal issue - the **** screen blacks out a lot of times when taking photos as well - yet another frustration that seems many people have with this camera as well.

They said it was entry levle - now I know why. All good - I've enjoyed the process thus far, minus a few issues. - I'm now getting up to 1.4km distance (without mods, using the Vision + Utility Pro app on Android Os) wise and thinking about learning to fly in ATTI mode and seeing if course lock is worth it. I actually seem to be flying really well in GPS mode regardless with the Phantom 2 vision plus. Time to move on with the controls all the same.

yep... it happened to me specially on strong gusts of wind...

it was brand new so i had it return to my dealer and they changed the entire gimbal mount under warranty

perfectly smooth now ;)

I think that happened to me on my last flight. I was testing out this GoPro hood I bought from eBay and I was just going straight forwards, but I guess I was going against the wind which made a parachute effect and when I saw the camera flip out on my FPV, I almost died because I thought my Phantom died. Seriously. I was like W-T-F. Took the hood off immediately after that. :lol:

Proof.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vinEQfsVqUM[/youtube]

Pretty much just raw video and you'll see this happen like twice.

Actually.. so is it a gimbal problem or the hood?

Yes, that is what I am talking about. I've had mine go twice like that in as short a time.

My unit is still new - I'll give it a few more goes, before having to send it international to get the help I need. Huge hassle if it comes to that for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan