SuburbDweller: Where to fly?

Reaction score
New(bie) Phantom pilot here...

Absolutely enthralled with the sport! This is my first RC since playing with *super* cheap crap that would usually break within a few days of crashing into the walls...

I literally have been in front of my house daily playing with the copter and as often as my battery charges will allow! I've taken some great aerial video of our beautiful North Carolina subdivision (boring to everyone here, but video lovely to ME) :)

However, it's now occurring to me that my neighbors may start tiring of my buzzing the neighborhood far sooner than I will. None have complained. In fact, everyone has been interested and several have asked for pictures of their property, home, landscaping, overflowing gutters, etc. But I suspect anyone unhappy might be keeping it to themselves.... at least for now :-(

So, before I wear out my welcome, I figure I need some alternate plans. So, for those living among people, where do you fly? Unfortunately, I have no deserts nearby (though I wish I did for the first time in my life) :)

We have plenty of local parks, but they are all cut into pretty heavily forested areas. Typically might find a soccer field or two, but then densely surrounded by trees, then neighborhoods.... Beautiful to live in, but sub-optimal for my phantompiloting desires!

Local high school? Bzzzzt. locked-up tight as a drum when not in use....

I found a local RC club, but it looks like its mainly a runway for rc plane pilots... with a application process and $180 annual dues!...

where do you live?

I find that there are lots of places around me that have promise, but I live in a place where there's still land being developed. As I drive, I look at the world differently now. For example - there are a few golf courses where I drive by holes that I would love to capture on video - and I take note of where I would park - what time of day would the hole be empty (like right before sundown) and make a plan to go and do a couple quick flights. I figure the worst that can happen is some security guy comes by and asks me to leave (and my plan is to happily comply - no need to push the issues).

Also I found a place that has been prepped to build a subdivision - but has clearly run out of funding - it has been sitting there for years with perfect roads and no houses :)

You just have to keep an eye peeled!

I took a quick look - yeah lots of trees... but it looks like areas are still being developed (but who knows when the map was updated) - The High School on Sunday might be nice too :)

Buckaye said:
I took a quick look - yeah lots of trees... but it looks like areas are still being developed (but who knows when the map was updated) - The High School on Sunday might be nice too :)

Yeah- tried that.

Local high school has entire athletic fields fenced/gated and locked when not in use :-(

Lowepg said:
Buckaye said:

Yeah- tried that.

Local high school has entire athletic fields fenced/gated and locked when not in use :-(

Locking up the field???? Now you can't fly there OR steal the stadium....

Hi Lowepg,
I just go on google earth and find a nice open place within a short drive. What about WakeMed soccer park? Your trees should be in color soon, get some picture posted up for us! :)

Cary, NC.... suburb of Raleigh, NC.

not so much wide-open spaces here.... lots of trees! :)
Bond Lake (park) is very fun! It's also in Cary. I made this video there:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31