Subtle differences in P4

Reaction score
I saw a P4 today at the RCX show, Orange County Fair Grounds, CA. The vendor let me check it out pretty thorough. They hadn't flown it either due not having an app, like everyone else.

The quality looks really good, it's a step up from the P3 on the materials and finish. The plastic does feel more rigid and stronger, but we'll see. It's funny, the bird actually looks trimmer to me when handling it, because the view from the top is what you see the most when looking at it, and we all know it is more slim from the top view. It's only from the side view that it looks chubby, however when you see it in person next to the P3 from the side, the P4 looks way sleeker, more modern looking. It's actually a very nice integration of the gimbal, no rubber dampeners exposed or gimbal brackets anymore, which are homely looking.

One thing that impressed me is the slots between the battery cells. I held the battery up to a light and you can see light through the battery array, which allows air passage for cooling. This should help to keep each cell more evenly cooled, versus P3 and Inspire where the 2 center cells are sandwiched in between others, and are more prone to getting hotter than the two side cells.. Pretty clever idea. There's a good sized fan in the belly of the drone near the battery. I've seen statement saying it can easily be heard when it powers up, before the motors are turned on. I'm guessing the cooling fan sucks air in from the bottom, pushing air UP through the battery somehow and over the circuit boards, then the air is exhausted through the motor arm vents, located on the bottom of the motor arms (versus on the sides with P3). It appears the air venturi of the props thrusting air downward aids to suck the air out of these 4 bottom vents. Also, pretty clever.

I got to install and uninstall the props, and I definitely like it. It's much quicker, no tools required, and it definitely seems secure. This has proven reliable on Inspire, so I assume it will be the standard going forward.

These differences are nice but subtle. Nothing huge, but it's clear the DJI engineers are doing a lot of homework for each new design. Kudos to those guys. I'm looking forward to flying one next week.

What else have people noticed for subtle differences?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!

FYI, I'm keeping an ongoing list of new changes and features here.

I do not know the reason for providing an additional fan in the belly of P4, is it maintainable with ease? Or designed for maintenance free operations?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to change the shell? Most of the hits will be taken by landing gear, cam, she'll and props.

At some point I stumbled across a photo of the P4 electronics bay & lower shell with camera/gimbal off the aircraft. There was a much bigger fan than the tiny gimbal fans atop the lower shell module. Looked like maybe a 1" fan out of a PC or inverter. I keep looking for those photos & can't find them... :mad:

I do not know the reason for providing an additional fan in the belly of P4, is it maintainable with ease? Or designed for maintenance free operations?

I'm wondering if the downward facing avoidance sensors will prevent putting the carbon fiber protection plate between the two downward legs?

Here is a picture of the gimbal mechanism & lower shell. You can see the 1" PC-style fan which explains the increased noise & airflow. The fan is MUCH louder in the P4 than the P3, even though the P3 Pro has two & the Advanced has one.

P06kHo-wMS_bKQcZ0UXaejlpyJkyA4OrO0Cmsd3x_7XuFEgWwOy4zZrd5fbiQVICMVxN_QsnGE3QuNcwuO3qZ0vQltJhl5ZyYlYTGViC6ZJu7E7IwpHUOmghR5DMWO261wm_YxQyJBdJ4sokrwIkhw0ZLZiRMZ_HKRisTXyT-JREyCzt6OkhnsSSd98ZgOVZjKVcTJpJF2TWllywqe-oEcYGDTFMvveHj5L-9K-QzOobsJNXBNFI3kj1uCwizqqkrc-_qjp2niqbPFOZMzvpQkGBAZtc5WGIhD1YqF2mQm0sphIvidGtNJWS_z6gcjC4dia9jO2MYe2ep0-1E-hIbveHTCbJtfIiKSI_9cstKki4qNRYVO-sCM7vEwf4DQgpv0iIsf8Z8CwKz9kMR2BWcmYlxdNq6L0_3N6FStknZUFwPf5B7vo2ADel98TM9I_bgkSiAPEu90CmqPbyoAEDiyID2Xe8dKJjQR7Kc_ltvvjLqsOe0BXZI1SwK5UDpE0qj98Cavkf4-5z1U8uWoORDs68JjVOxlFCXrH2ceFBIi96dx2lBg3BqQCkR5pG0spdMjAsOg=w476-h634-no

I saw a P4 today at the RCX show, Orange County Fair Grounds, CA. The vendor let me check it out pretty thorough. They hadn't flown it either due not having an app, like everyone else.

The quality looks really good, it's a step up from the P3 on the materials and finish. The plastic does feel more rigid and stronger, but we'll see. It's funny, the bird actually looks trimmer to me when handling it, because the view from the top is what you see the most when looking at it, and we all know it is more slim from the top view. It's only from the side view that it looks chubby, however when you see it in person next to the P3 from the side, the P4 looks way sleeker, more modern looking. It's actually a very nice integration of the gimbal, no rubber dampeners or gimbal brackets anymore, which are homely looking.

One thing that impressed me is the slots between the battery cells. I held the battery up to a light and you can see light through the battery array, which allows air passage for cooling. This should help to keep each cell more evenly cooled, versus P3 and Inspire where the 2 center cells are sandwiched in between others, and are more prone to getting hotter than the two side cells.. Pretty clever idea. There's a good sized fan in the belly of the drone near the battery. I've seen statement saying it can easily be heard when it powers up, before the motors are turned on. I'm guessing the cooling fan sucks air in from the bottom, pushing air UP through the battery somehow and over the circuit boards, then the air is exhausted through the motor arm vents, located on the bottom of the motor arms (versus on the sides with P3). It appears the air venturi of the props thrusting air downward aids to suck the air out of these 4 bottom vents. Also, pretty clever.

I got to install and uninstall the props, and I definitely like it. It's much quicker, no tools required, and it definitely seems secure. This has proven reliable on Inspire, so I assume it will be the standard going forward.

These differences are nice but subtle. Nothing huge, but it's clear the DJI engineers are doing a lot of homework for each new design. Kudos to those guys. I'm looking forward to flying one next week.

What else have people noticed for subtle differences?
You didn't mention about the camera has PLASTIC body...

Why exactly is that a bad thing?

I think it's a good thing,
1) I like the look, the matte grey is a neat new look imho
2) probably will be a bit more resilient if you crash as it will flex and hold its original shape, rather than bend and lose its shape like the aluminum
3) only a guess but it's probably lighter which will be good for the G forces when flying in sport mode !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mirrorimage
Either way ... I like it !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Very easy to find out. Ask the people who bough it to say what is made of.
I am old school, I like metal for cameras, I don't buy "is better", I know is MUCH better for DJI pockets.
Every time I hear "better and improved" I know I am taken for a ride and somebody else's bank account is getting fatter.

Touching it you can't really tell if it's plastic or powder-coated aluminum. Might be able to tell removing the camera back & flexing it but I don't really want to take it apart.

I know the camera, gimbal components, & gimbal base plate were all aluminum on the Vision+. V+ gimbal parts usually bent in a crash. I suspect the P3 cameras & gimbal may be plastic...especially the base plate...due to how many I see broken in two.

Very easy to find out. Ask the people who bough it to say what is made of.
I am old school, I like metal for cameras, I don't buy "is better", I know is MUCH better for DJI pockets.
Every time I hear "better and improved" I know I am taken for a ride and somebody else's bank account is getting fatter.

I got to install and uninstall the props, and I definitely like it. It's much quicker, no tools required, and it definitely seems secure.

I saw a photo on the DJI site where someone had put 3 of one prop and one of the other on the P4. Guess they didn't make this one fool proof?

Attachments

• props.jpg
    props.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 397
Yeah, Isn't that the rotor configuration, for inverted hover~auto rotation. ;-)

With an abrupt landing. Ha

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20