Substitute RC Controller for FC40

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of using a none DJi RC controller with the FC40 which also has a gamble control I am keen to upgrade but need to know manufacture and feedback on its performance?

Pretty hard to find a 5.8 GHz transmitter/controller.. I know coz I tried...

With the Phantom 2 also being 5.8Ghz you would think a supplier would switch....

At the moment, only DJI seems to make 5.8Ghz TX's. I don't know if anyone has bothered trying to hack the tx module in the DJI remote to work with some other remote.

So your only other option is to switch the control TX/RX to 2.4 Ghz and change your FPV to a different frequency.

Btw, the DJI remote does have gimbal control (hidden 7th channel for pitch). What more do you need?

CityZen Thanks yes already using the gimbal control just curious to see if there was a better TX/RX around.

Hi Fuji-flyer. I came to this same problem with my set up a short while back too, except my controller had ended up smashed to peices on my local mtb track :( unfortunately there is not really much in the way of 5.8ghz remotes out there aside from the official dji one. What I ended up going with was the futaba 8j remote which uses s-bus just like the stock dji one. Made it so simple to set up with only a little programming and then added a 5.8ghz fpv system and never looked back. If you don't want the hassle of a full 5.8ghz system I have heard good things about the new blade camera / go pro clone. It teathers to your phone like the fc40 camera and apparently gives better range.

http://www.marionvillemodels.com/rc-sho ... LA900.html

While it is a bit steep price wise if you don't already have a go pro and want better recording with better fpv it's fairly solid.
If you've got any questions about the 8j feel free to inbox me about it or post on here. :)

Thanks Joesrevolution detailed reply, unfortunately I got a GoPro 3 on ebay for a deal and went that direction. Just added a Walkera G-2D Gimble. The gimble control on the DJi controller is not too good so perhaps I will fit a 5K poti as shown in many posts / youtube. However, the Phantom is a great little piece of kit and I will research your suggestions

No problem. That's a shame. Would make a nice set up. Would be well worth changing out the lever on the back for a dial. Do your reading on the procedure first though it does require breaking the orriginal of the main board and soldering in a very confined space. I've heard stories of people writing of their remotes with this but if you feel you're up to it its well worth while. Cost no object though without a doubt go down the same route I did though. Means you can have a proper 5.8 fpv system which is easy as far as legality is concerned. With some decent antennas you'll have more range than you're ever likely to need.

Fuji-Flyer said:
Thanks Joesrevolution detailed reply, unfortunately I got a GoPro 3 on ebay for a deal and went that direction. Just added a Walkera G-2D Gimble. The gimble control on the DJi controller is not too good so perhaps I will fit a 5K poti as shown in many posts / youtube. However, the Phantom is a great little piece of kit and I will research your suggestions

im looking at getting the same gimbal as you but there only seems to be one carbon fibre lever out there but it looks crap and cheap, is this the same one you are having problems with? if so what are the problems with it, if you dont mind me asking?

HI ELHEAPO fitting the lever was difficult as you have to ensure the lever cross connection fits into the Poti on the PCB when you reassemble the controller or you cam damage the poti. The shaft can also not reach the poti and then you swing the level and nothing happens. I have purchased a second controller on ebay and intend to fit an external poti to the original control for the gimble pitch. (Pleased with the Gimble works v well so just have to get the pitch working well) This way if a mess up I still have a fully working controller.

ELHEAPO said:
Fuji-Flyer said:
im looking at getting the same gimbal as you but there only seems to be one carbon fibre lever out there but it looks crap and cheap, is this the same one you are having problems with? if so what are the problems with it, if you dont mind me asking?

It is cheap but it does work when you have carefully installed it and is better than nothing. Mine was £3.29 inc post from China. The main problem I have with it is that the lever that you move is fastened to the shaft with just a fine machine screw and no positive indentation to take the turning torque. After mine came loose a couple of times I used EvoStick contact adhesive on the end of the lever to provide a more durable connection. The EvoStick bonded well because of the contact force provided by the machine screw. However, I will probably fit a proper 5k pot and control knob if I can find somewhere convenient on my DJI controller. I don't want it to look like a bodge, and the obvious place to put it would be where there is already relief-writing on the case. I have heard of someone fitting it to the bottom of the controller with a large thumb wheel but if that were the location, I would want a sprung detent corresponding to slightly-below-horizontal gimbal position. Get this wrong and the barrel distortion ruins the picture. Horizontal and Vertical positions no problem as I have set the calibration so that they are the limits of the control travel.

I did look at getting a spare controller (or case) on ebay so I could modify that and keep mine original but the ones I have bid on have gone for too much money!

Hi Vintage Mark, re ebay controllers, I bid for a number before I got one at reasonable price however, the PVT581's keep coming up so with time you will get one good luck. I have given up on a substitute for now, real pity the new Dji controller with gimble control isn't compatible with our FC40. Regarding the lever question by others, there is a DJi level (white plastic) which I got via Amazon however, still got to be careful installing.

Why do you think the new remote isn't compatible with the FC40? It is (provided you get the 5.8Ghz model).

Hi CityZen I was referring to "DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus V2.0 5.8Ghz" Transmitter with Gimble control and Lipo battery. Called my Dji retailer and emailed Dji direct when it appeared. Both said no it is not compatible with FC40. However, I have purchased a second controller on ebay which is from a Phantom 2 and this works fine.

So was I told the wrong info ??

Further, just called my retailer again and while the controller will fly the FC40 the gamble wheel control will only work with the DJi gimble as on the Phantom 2 + according to them....

Your retailer seems to be operating from the point of view that "If the docs don't mention it, then it doesn't work."

My view is that "parts is parts." It would be silly for DJI to make multiple parts that do the same thing and make them incompatible with each other.

Your best bet is to ask people here "Have you tried this? Does it work?"

People have hooked up gimbals to the FC40 and controlled them from the 7th channel, which is what the gimbal wheel controls. Why should it not work?

Hi, I m am new to owning a FC40, any follow up on this question? Will a Phantom 2 remote work with FC40?
Does the Phantom 2 (not vision) have Gimbal Control?

I would love to know if the new controller would work on a fc40 as well, anyone have an answer?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Yes,it will .i have been using one for about a year. I went round and round with a DJI uninformed phone rep. I asked if it would work ,she said no. I told her I wanted to control my gimbal....again I was told no because my FC40 didn't have a gimbal...I ordered one off Amazon for $99.00 ,if it didn't work I would send it back. Well it worked and controlled my Walkera gimbal perfectly.

Reactions: dtitus6297
Yes,it will .i have been using one for about a year. I went round and round with a DJI uninformed phone rep. I asked if it would work ,she said no. I told her I wanted to control my gimbal....again I was told no because my FC40 didn't have a gimbal...I ordered one off Amazon for $99.00 ,if it didn't work I would send it back. Well it worked and controlled my Walkera gimbal perfectly.
Thanks for the reply! That's wht I have been waiting to hear. I now know my next upgrade

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20