Stupid new Guy Prop Question

Reaction score
Good morning guys,
During prop install I looked inside at the prop threads and expected to see a metal insert.
All I saw were plastic threads.
Any reports of issues with these plastic threads failing ??

They work well if you don't overtighten your props and damage the threads.

Nope,
I did not over tighten,
I watched a DJI video and he barely snugged them.
Thank you.

No problem. Many people here enjoy helping :)

The plastic threaded props have more friction (and chances of thread damage due to over tightening) than metal threaded props. The P2, I believe had metal threads. About 6 weeks ago I saw a video by a guy promoting a Du-Bro prop balancer that explained the reasons why DJI went with a plastic threaded prop on the P3. It had more to do with the speed at which the P3 motors slow down. Apparently the motors slow much faster than the P2, which, if the prop is not snug or has low friction, could make it unthread and fall off, though I’ve never heard of this happening in the forum. Although this does sound plausible, I’m sure it comes down to $$ as the non-insert props would be cheaper to manufacture.

It had more to do with the speed at which the P3 motors slow down.
You're referring to the active braking feature. That was introduced in the Phantom 3. That's the reason DJI recommends not using props with metal hubs on the Phantom 3.

Yea this is not a cost issue.
Clearly one of performance.

Lot's of wacky 'conspiracy' type sentiment around here.

Reactions: Meta4 and BigKenny
I find my black props spin on and tighten with one flick of the finger but the silver ones have to be helped to spin on and then I have to hang onto the motors to finish tightening. Anyone else notice this?

Yes Stealth, i seem to have that too.
One silver is definately more resistant than all the other 3 in my current set (9450 white with gold stripes). Odd, but i think the thread must be a tiny bit tighter than it should be.

If it wont spin on freely, the thread has been damaged. I had a couple that did the same thing. As soon as I changed, the new ones worked fine. BTW, I damaged the thread by trying to screw them on ( the wrong way-- they will tighten down the wrong way if you force them.)

If it wont spin on freely, the thread has been damaged. I had a couple that did the same thing. As soon as I changed, the new ones worked fine. BTW, I damaged the thread by trying to screw them on ( the wrong way-- they will tighten down the wrong way if you force them.)

I think I would know if I was forcing them to go on the wrong way to the point of threading on......really you've actually done this and admitting to it?

I think I would know if I was forcing them to go on the wrong way to the point of threading on......really you've actually done this and admitting to it?
Yes, I did and am admitting to it-- it might keep someone else from making the same mistake. Cheers:D:D It was when I first got my P3 back in May.

Yes, I did and am admitting to it-- it might keep someone else from making the same mistake. Cheers:D:D It was when I first got my P3 back in May.
And by the way, I have made a few more of stupid mistakes since-- as I am sure most everyone has.:D:D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20