Stuck in a tree questions

Reaction score
I got my Phantom 3 a few days ago, and my test flights went fine! I absolutely love this thing, it's so amazing how quiet and serene busy life gets at a few hundred feet up in the air!

Anyways, I was at my local high school, and was going down low to the track, and realized it was time to pull up. Well, I was too late and it got stuck about 15 feet up into a soft pine tree.

I came back with a ladder and some tools, and recovered the Phantom. It had a few pine needles, and some green staining on the chassis and blades. I took some gauze, and applied alcohol and cleaned it up. You can't even tell anything happened now.

I took it back out for a test flight and it seemed 100% ok. No issues with stability, the motors sound the same, etc.

When I went to the tree initially, the blades were all stopped, and the gimbal was overloaded according to the app, which was expected. I spotted it in the tree, blades motionless less then 45 seconds after it got stuck.

My question is, does the Phantom 3 automatically shut the motors down if it detects an accident of sorts? I am concerned it was trying to spin them and possibly burnt out or damaged the motors since they were stuck in the branch.

From a durability standpoint, where do these things stand? Thankfully the impact seemed to have been soft since the branches were light and fluffy.

I'm sure people here have experienced a crash too, but man did my heart sink the moment it happened. I was certain it was destroyed or un-flyable, but amazingly I got away with what seems like no damage whatsoever.

Durable I would say after 2 tree crashes one that had the bird upside down spinning holes in the ground from the props, I could not shut it down! I had to pull the battery while it was running,
I have zero problems to date, The first one slammed into a potted tree and sandwiched itself between the tree and a metal barn.

I received minor damage and lost the props but she keeps on flying.
I call it Luck others have had similar and ended up with no P3's.
Both User Errors.

Sometimes you get lucky.
The Phantom sometimes will survive falls that you would expect to do major damage and other times the opposite happens.
The camera gimbal is the most delicate part but it doesn't always break either.
Trees are the natural enemy of the Phantom.
Be extra careful with them.

Reactions: tvckz

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20