Struggle with Osmo+ indoors

Reaction score
I've been shooting aerial exteriors for a local realtor and wanted to try my hand at indoor video. I shot the exterior paid but offered to do the interior free to see if there was any interest and get some practice at the same time. I've done a few test in my own home and haven't had much luck. I was under pressure to produce this within 24 hours but honestly not sure what more time would have done for the interior quality. Anyway, take a look at this, if you have any constructive feedback, I'd love to hear it. So far all I have is from the realtor saying the sellers were't happy with the clarity. I agree.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Badaxed
I found the slight bobbing motion (from your walking) of the camera to be jarring. For indoor shots, I like the 360 camera views instead of videos. It allows the user to control the direction of movement and to zoom on details. Another option would be to use a portable dolly system like the Stage One system in the video below. That would get you the tracking shots in a video, but it would be very stable.

Reactions: bad karma
I've been shooting aerial exteriors for a local realtor and wanted to try my hand at indoor video. I shot the exterior paid but offered to do the interior free to see if there was any interest and get some practice at the same time. I've done a few test in my own home and haven't had much luck. I was under pressure to produce this within 24 hours but honestly not sure what more time would have done for the interior quality. Anyway, take a look at this, if you have any constructive feedback, I'd love to hear it. So far all I have is from the realtor saying the sellers were't happy with the clarity. I agree.

I think if you practice your stealthy walk you could hide that bounciness. Kind of walk with your knees bent to absorb the shock. Also, the color seems off on the interior. White balance maybe? The music is a little dreary for me, otherwise, I think you did a good job!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, I really need to work on smooth horizontal movement. I've tried the z-axis stabilizer but haven't had much luck with that either. I have noticed an improvement from doing what PD said by really focusing on keeping knees bent and absorbing vertical movement with my joints. The color was tough due to the lack of lighting. I may try rerunning this through premiere pro again and play with the color correction. I can never find music that I'm really happy with, I usually just end up settling on something that isn't terrible. I think I need to spend some time building a personal library of royalty free music for certain types of video.

I've been shooting aerial exteriors for a local realtor and wanted to try my hand at indoor video....

I really like it overall. As I'm sure you are already aware, the exterior is stellar - you did a masterful job. Regarding the interior, I feel you did a fantastic job in terms of composition and timing and some really interesting angles that show off the property well. Sliders are a great addition as pointed out above, but as you master your stabilizer you can can do slider and crane moves very well. The walking motion is distracting only in a couple of places, and you can correct that by filming almost painfully slowly (and speed up in post if you like), bending the knees, and by using a dual grip to hold the osmo. Dual grips help right and left hand motions in the z-axis kind of attenuate each other. Use a DIY bicycle handlebar rig and see for yourself.

The color was definitely too warm as you know, so you should be able to adjust that in Premiere or Davinci Resolve quite easily. Overall, at our house, we were certainly impressed with your work. Off the subject, but I just have to ask, is the seller R-I-C-H or what?! Must be nice - Wow!

Last edited:
I agree with @Phil Tuggle overall it was a nice video. Not sure why it's super jittery while playing back right now but that's just me. I just did
this shoot and it was one of my first interior and I had a heck of a time with White Balance issues. I DID NOT have the WB set to AUTO to keep everything in sync but all the rooms had different color lighting and wall colors in some spots so the video has a very yellowish tint on much of the indoor. Also while trying to keep my FPS at 60 I had to constantly adjust my aperture which led to focus/sort of in focus/bad focus shots. Everything was done on a tripod with pan shots (obviously) so I love seeing your osmo movement and I'm in love haha.

I agree with @Phil Tuggle overall it was a nice video. ...Everything was done on a tripod with pan shots (obviously) so I love seeing your osmo movement and I'm in love haha.

Ron(?), your video is wonderful, too! I was holding my breath going through the carport and up the roof - soooo cool! Your neighborhood-to-the-sea journey is just great. After viewing that and the interior shots, you leave no doubts in the potential buyer's mind what they are viewing in terms of layout and environment. That home will sell in about 2 minutes if the price is right....where do I sign? My only constructive criticism - if you are also looking for comments - is to try to keep your panned scenes vertical; you know, the walls converging, tripod height and camera level, etc. Nice. You guys are better than I can do at this point, both you and @fatalPORKshank. Very enjoyable experiences, both.

Phil.. When you say keep the pans vertical... Do you mean just to try to pan up and down and not left to right? I am also new and have a few jobs that I will be doing in the next week. Will post them for criticism as well.. I really admire and respect the senior experienced members on here that are willing to help.. I have 4 large vacation rental Beach homes I need to do in the next 2 weeks.. Am I understanding that the pan shots should only be up and down? I kinda liked the left to right to showcase the size of the room and furniture.. Thanks the the original poster's video. Great job, hope mine come out as nice as the last few I have watched on here

Phil.. When you say keep the pans vertical... Do you mean just to try to pan up and down and not left to right? ...

No, no. Forgive me for not being clear -- What I meant by that was to try to keep the walls on the left and right of your frame from converging or diverging; do your best to keep the camera in a plane which is parallel to the floor. By keeping the camera level in both the lateral and the pointed directions, the walls of a room will be straight up and down.

NOTE! The above is NOT to say that your shots tilting from the floor up to the ceiling (in small rooms and in rooms with wonderful features going up or down) fall into this convergence category. THOSE shots are an exception, and are awesome in the OP video.

You only need to avoid convergence angles on walls when you are panning horizontally or shooting stills of a room. The human eye is just not happy when verticals are not shown as ...well, vertical in these situations.

Hope that is not about as clear as mud.

Last edited:
After the shoot with the Osmo, I decided to invest in something to handle the lower light. I'm still struggling with the vertical movements from walking but this is only my 2nd handheld shoot. I need to spend more time practicing. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this video? Keep in mind, the client gave me exactly 24 hours to edit and deliver, it's not perfect. This client requested interior and exterior photo and video. Time on site was 5 hours. I didn't sleep much that night and delivered the media the next evening. I'm not going to agree to that kind of timeline at the expense of my reputation again...

After the shoot with the Osmo, I decided to invest in something to handle the lower light.

I really like it. Considering the fact that this is intended to expose and help sell real estate, I think you have nailed it, my friend. My only constructive criticism is to make sure the sellers turn on ALL the lights; I noticed (maybe non photographers would not notice) only the one table downstairs with several lights over it did not have them turned on. The cut at :55 was a bit abrupt. No biggie. The verticals were much better than before - keep working on that.

It definitely makes me want to call the agent for a showing. Great job!

Reactions: fatalPORKshank
I really like it. Considering the fact that this is intended to expose and help sell real estate, I think you have nailed it, my friend. My only constructive criticism is to make sure the sellers turn on ALL the lights; I noticed (maybe non photographers would not notice) only the one table downstairs with several lights over it did not have them turned on. The cut at :55 was a bit abrupt. No biggie. The verticals were much better than before - keep working on that.

It definitely makes me want to call the agent for a showing. Great job!

Phil - Thank you for the feedback! When I first arrived I explained that I would like to have lights, fans, tvs, fireplaces, anything that moves, turned on for videoing. Well, they turned everything on before I started the pictures and I was so caught up in the shoot that I did not realize until I had shot half the house. Unfortunately, those lights over the table were not functioning. It's surprising how noticeable that is!

I agree on the abrupt cut, I wasn't really happy with the speed of that pan and should have slowed it down. I'm still struggling with the verticals and avoiding convergence. I came across an article earlier today about the importance of keeping the camera level to avoid this. I need more practice with my gimbal as I'm sure there's a setting or additional balancing to keep it level. I really noticed the issue in my photos and will make it a point to remain level while shooting in the future.

Again, I really appreciate your comments and feedback. I hope I can keep this client happy, move their homes, and get more work. It's a strange thing to enjoy a "job", but I sure do and am glad for it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen