Strobe/Navigation Lights for P4 and P2V

rDp

Reaction score
I'm looking for a supplier for Strobe/Navigation lights for my P4 and P2V. At a distance I am unable to identify via line-of-sight my flight direction. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Those seem big and heavy. I am currently using these. Small, easy to install. But ....

Not quite bright enough in daylight. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anything that is going to be practical and bright enough. To get enough candlepower you need a rig that is too large to be useful.
Further, even if they were bright enough it is difficult to discern orientation due to the fact that the Phantoms are small. You see a bright, flashing dot. I have mine set as 4 separate strobes on the back rotor struts. I can tell back from front but not left / right. But back / front is difficult to tell from just a visible / not visible state.

At night or in low light they work fine.

Reactions: BigAl07
Ive got three strobon standalone (white, red and green), yes you are right, they arent very bright unless you are looking straight at them. I always use them when flying as you dont knt know what is coming towards you and every little helps

Bckmstr, WetDog & Mallettron - Thank you for your replies. I have contacted Lume Cube to see if they have a strobe version. The current one does not have this option that I could identify. However, for a photographer, this is an exciting possibility. I also went to the site referenced by Mallettron and found that there is now a "Strobon StandAlone" available. I found a US suppler and have ordered (2) each of the White and Red. You can get info at: Search Results : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond
I will post further information when I receive it.
Thanks again for your support.

I'm looking for a supplier for Strobe/Navigation lights for my P4 and P2V. At a distance I am unable to identify via line-of-sight my flight direction. Does anyone have any suggestions?
...rDp, heres another option (Amazon), of course you don't Have To wrap it 360°...

http://tinyurl.com/z5lj9gr
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

1801aefad4246d799eba0f798f3dca41_thumb.jpg

c25e7f29fd55270ff685a982fb3b6395_thumb.jpg

e5cfa4d6341f80a51a74e71c0c8a95e7_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bckmstr, WetDog & Mallettron - Thank you for your replies. I have contacted Lume Cube to see if they have a strobe version. The current one does not have this option that I could identify. However, for a photographer, this is an exciting possibility. I also went to the site referenced by Mallettron and found that there is now a "Strobon StandAlone" available. I found a US suppler and have ordered (2) each of the White and Red. You can get info at: Search Results : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond
I will post further information when I receive it.
Thanks again for your support.

I've almost pulled the hammer on a pair of those several times now. I want to add something but I just can't seem to hit the ORDER button without someone else ordering and trying them out first LOL.

I look forward to hearing your results AND seeing where/how you decide to mount them.

Give me uy
I've almost pulled the hammer on a pair of those several times now. I want to add something but I just can't seem to hit the ORDER button without someone else ordering and trying them out first LOL.

I look forward to hearing your results AND seeing where/how you decide to mount them.

Give me your CC number and I'll order one for you. No problem

Reactions: BigAl07
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471467850.718043.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471467882.581575.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471467921.269310.jpg

On my p2 with switch can pulse,strobe or steady need to plug to main voltage of bird not recommended if under warranty

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471467897.922158.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471467897.922158.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 431
Has anyone seen this review by shockwave199 and/or have experience with this product? Something I'm seriously considering for Part 107 night flying...
North American Survival Systems DS-30 Strobe:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Today I mounted a Strobon Standalone White to the camera lens side of my P4 and jotted down some empirical data. P4 and strobe were facing a full sun and I could see the strobe to a height of 70 to 90 feet at a distance of approx. 160 ft. The sun was at approx. 160 degrees from ground reference. Time was between 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM. Though this would be an excellent solution for night flying, it did not give me what I was originally looking for. So as a line-of-sight solution for day flying at a distance where you cannot see your drone, it is not feasible.

I think that I am going to try the DS-30-1 strobe from North American Survival Systems. They claim one nautical mile in daylight. My only concern is where to mount it on my P4. If you are at altitude, it doesn't make sense to me to mount it on the top of the P4 which seems to be the only place available. I'm open to suggestions on this..

Hi rDp,

For daylight operations I envision a bracket similar to this gimbal guard, but raised in the middle or a circle cutout in the middle to accommodate the DS-30 facing down. I have yet to get my hands on a DS-30 (and mock-up a bracket), but whomever gets around to trying it out first, please post it here.

Best regards,
AT

Today I mounted a DS-30 strobe to my P4. I used two sided tape and place it on the top of the P4 and over the DJI logo. I mounted a 9V battery which was in a 9V ON/OFF battery enclosure onto a Gimbal Guard Protector and placed it directly under the Gimbal post but far enough back to not interfere with the camera. As with the Strobon Standalone you could not see the strobe when the P4 was out of visual range in line-of-sight flight. But, you could see it at a greater distance; approx. 120 ft. height at 600 feet from Homepoint. However, being on top of the P4, there is a point at which you cannot see the strobe (I.E. directly overhead). Mounting on the bottom of the P4 would be the ideal position but doesn't seem possible without some type of modification. I will continue to fly with the DS-30.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers