Strobe, DS-30

Reaction score
I grabbed this one to try first

DS-30--1 Drone Strobe

I'll see how I see, lol. I have some mods already in place so getting this attached was pretty easy. This will serve as the positional strobe for a daylight waiver and should do the trick during the day to just help me look up and see the drone quickly. The thing I'll need to confirm though, is if the light will infiltrate night video, or even day video. That's a no no. Hopefully an upper most mount will do the trick. I'll fly and post a video soon and update my thoughts on this one.

20160914_182153.jpg

20160914_180642.jpg

Reactions: Airecon
What is that thing it is sitting on ?? How are the Gps working??

I grabbed this one to try first

DS-30--1 Drone Strobe

I'll see how I see, lol. I have some mods already in place so getting this attached was pretty easy. This will serve as the positional strobe for a daylight waiver and should do the trick during the day to just help me look up and see the drone quickly. The thing I'll need to confirm though, is if the light will infiltrate night video, or even day video. That's a no no. Hopefully an upper most mount will do the trick. I'll fly and post a video soon and update my thoughts on this one.

View attachment 64794

View attachment 64791

It's sitting on the top piece of the polar pro light kit. All I can say is that I've been flying with the polar pro kit installed for months- many flights. I average 12 sats on the ground before takeoff and usually see 15 to 17 sats in the air. I just haven't had a problem. I'm pretty sure the strobe won't interfere. But if anything becomes a problem, I'll adjust positioning.

The strobe is on the top of the drone, unless you fly at eye level seems pointless. At night it will be beneficial.

I thought of that but I don't think that will be a problem. It's a full hemisphere strobe, meaning it can be seen from the top and sides. When I'm up and out at distance I'm sure I'll see it. The only time I might not is when I'm directly overhead but that's a spot I almost never fly. Don't forget, this is a strobe for manned aircraft to see the drone- anti collision strobe. Me seeing it is of benefit, but not the primary purpose with this piece.

This strobe was ineffective during my daylight flight today. It was a very bright sky and the second I took my eye off of it at 1200' I could not find it again. Just reporting what I don't see. Very effective at night though, but this isn't a daylight solution.

Actually it is a daylight solution. I mounted mine to the bottom of my gimble guard. Then attached longer landing gear legs. This gave me the clearence I needed. Using a 9volt battery provides power. I also mounted a forward led lamp which takes its power off the main batter. Both lights have seperate on/off switches. The strobe mounted on the bottom allows me to see it up to a mile away. I cant see the craft or hear it but can still see the tiny strobe.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 386
Actually it is a daylight solution. I mounted mine to the bottom of my gimble guard. Then attached longer landing gear legs. This gave me the clearence I needed. Using a 9volt battery provides power. I also mounted a forward led lamp which takes its power off the main batter. Both lights have seperate on/off switches. The strobe mounted on the bottom allows me to see it up to a mile away. I cant see the craft or hear it but can still see the tiny strobe.
You know I may have to try that. Thanks for that info. With the strobe on top of the bird, at night I have no problem but in daylight, no deal. I'm gonna try mounting mine on the bottom of my extra battery shelf and see how it goes. I'm concerned in that position though, it will interfere in night video and the strobe will be seen. More testing for position is called for. It may be that I have two and use the bottom for daylight when the strobe flicker has low or no chance of getting into the video, and just use the top one for night flight. That could solve it. I'm really only trying in daylight for an added vlos out there. My rather poor eyes aren't helping but all I'm going for is to look back up to the day sky and catch a strobe flicker easily enough at a few thousand feet away at times. Thanks for weighing in.

You know I may have to try that. Thanks for that info. With the strobe on top of the bird, at night I have no problem but in daylight, no deal. I'm gonna try mounting mine on the bottom of my extra battery shelf and see how it goes. I'm concerned in that position though, it will interfere in night video and the strobe will be seen. More testing for position is called for. It may be that I have two and use the bottom for daylight when the strobe flicker has low or no chance of getting into the video, and just use the top one for night flight. That could solve it. I'm really only trying in daylight for an added vlos out there. My rather poor eyes aren't helping but all I'm going for is to look back up to the day sky and catch a strobe flicker easily enough at a few thousand feet away at times. Thanks for weighing in.

Your welcome, my eyes arent what they used to be and Im overly concerned with losing sight of my drone. So for me this works. I might ad another strobe in the same manner but blue in color. I dont fly at night so but agree with you it might cause some flash back on the lens. The forward led is so bright I know quickly where the front is facing. I actually try and fly by sight for as far as I can see it. And it looks pretty cool too lol

Where can I buy one of these battery powered strobes bearing in mind I'm in the UK, fancy one for my daytime exploits

I made a good strobe from a T6 flashlight I got on Ebay for 6$. I gutted the light portion and powered it with a 1s battery. 1 mile range in daylight and 4 miles at night( only tested in daylight)Mounted unit on a P4 leg brace3$ off ebay

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 318

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1