Stripped set screw for gimbal yaw arm

Reaction score
I had a P3 Pro crash that appeared to bend the gimbal yaw arm and the repair shop insisted on replacing the camera. I purchased a replacement yaw arm, but I noticed the original arm was not really bent -- it had been pushed out of position on the shaft. When I attempted to loosen the set screw, I discovered it was partially stripped! Unfortunately, I only succeeded in stripping the screw completely. Anyone know the best way to extract the stripped screw?

I have never seen how big the set screw is but you may be able to find a small enough left hand tap to get the job done. If not you may be able to use a dremel to cut a line in the screw so you can use a small flat head screw driver to pull it out.

Go next siZe up on screw driver. I believe u are looking for a Torx head screw t-6 possibly. Try t7/t8. And give it a go. If that doesn't work , try using an old t-6/t-7 screw driver and grind the tip off( to where what's left is beefier- more area for it to grip on ).

Last but lot least if that still don't work try stabbing a rubber band in the set screw and use correct size screw driver to twist it out ( rubber band adds grip )

Still no go? Try securing the gimbal best u can so that the screw head is parallel to the table it's gonna be sitting on. This is important because u will be tapping the butt end of correct size (or one size up ) screw driver while working and untwisting screw driver . This is a little tricky , your main goal is to tap the butt and untwist the screw in hopes that Torx bit digs in /grabs the set screw and be able to turn it .

All else fails maybe solder the screw driver in /super glue tonscrewdriver head in and hope it sticks so u can twist out

Reactions: Droneted
That set screw is so it holds the roll arm in place ( holds in place up and down and the shaft its on has a flat milled out so the set screw can catch. Try twisting the roll arm slightly, while holding the top gimbal board securely . ( trying to twist the rolls arm and set screw off the flat on the shaft ) This should loosen the screw some maybe help if u can't get it to budge using other tricks

See attached pics

And confirmed t-6 is the correct size.

Ps almost all Torx head screw on the phantom 3 will be either t6/t8. From my experience

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 566
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 620
Last edited:
I have never seen how big the set screw is but you may be able to find a small enough left hand tap to get the job done. If not you may be able to use a dremel to cut a line in the screw so you can use a small flat head screw driver to pull it out.

Your set screw in question . Little bitty thing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 508
Your set screw in question . Little bitty thing
since it is so small and doesn't look like it requires a lot of torque to spin, I would think if your suggestions don't work he could try gluing a bit in there with some gorilla glue or something similar and then once the glue is cured he could just twist it out.

I wonder if Torx is one of the P3P upgrades, because my P3S has an Allen screw in it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

One last machinist trick to back out a stripped set screw -( rarely works but when it does ---talk about CLUTCH )

Get a small pick with a sharp pointy point to it . You can grind down an old small screw driver etc . Get in their with the pick and try to spin the the set screw out . Pushing / prodding /nudging at the inside points on the set screw . This is usually my last resort before having to finding a super tiny drill bit and drilling the set screw out

I wonder if Torx is one of the P3P upgrades, because my P3S has an Allen screw in it

I think u may be correct. The correct size for the screw is 1.5 mm allen (hex head) Early morning brain fart

I think u may be correct. The correct size for the screw is 1.5 mm hex . Early morning brain fart
That being said, I have had a Torx grab in a worn out Allen screw, and vice-versa!
When in trouble, try ANYTHING before resorting to a drill.

Reactions: LamboH
That being said, I have had a Torx grab in a worn out Allen screw, and vice-versa!
When in trouble, try ANYTHING before resorting to a drill.

Yea no doubt. I would definitely try the pick and manually spin it out. The screw itself is short so not that many threads overall . I've successfully backed out some set screws that were put under a lot of pressure. Same set screw under a lot of pressure also dealt with very high temps( thus swelling the set screw )

Wow -- thanks for all the responses! I will give glue a try. (I can't seem to get a grip with any tool at this point.) I read another article that says the screw is an M3x4mm, so I'll order some.

I just re-taped mine with an 8-32 tap. New 8-32 grub screws arrive Saturday 07-25-20. Fingers crossed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik