Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

stripped motor screw.

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Help' started by Firestat, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Firestat

I was in the process of putting on some new prop guards and stripped the motor screw. Someone used a little to much Locktite. What is the best way to get that screw out?

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Audaciter

First, try using a "Torx" bit, and see if it can get enough "bite", to remove it normally.

If that doesn't work, you will have to drill the "head" of the screw off. You will need a bit that is just slightly larger
    than the shoulder of the screw, but smaller than the head.

You will only have to drill 1/8 of an inch or so, to remove the head, but leave the shoulder.

Then remove the other screws, pull the motor out, and use "Vise Grips" on the exposed portion of the screw, to remove it.

Use caution, and don't allow too much heat to build up, as you drill, so as not to melt the surrounding plastic.

Good Luck.

3. tanasit

I would heat the tip of the hex key until it turns red and quickly insert the hot tip into the screw head socket, then let it sit a few seconds and try to turn the screw. You may have to repeat this a few times.
    If you have a Dremel tool, you can use the small cutting tip and insert the tip into the screw socket and cut sideway on the opposite sides so that you will end up with a straight slot on the screw head and use a small phillip screw driver to remove the screw. I did this successfully myself when I stripped the head of the screw by using the torx wrench in stead of the hex one.

4. Firestat

Thank you all for your quick responses. I will give it a try.
    Chuck

5. botbum

If you end up drilling the screw out (been there), make sure you do not get metal shavings into the motor. I would keep the other motor screws in place so that the motor dont move, and keeps shavings out. The magnets will draw them in. I had to take my motor apart and clean it out.

6. Firestat

Excellent information. Will try to keep the shavings out of the motor and look for a small extractor.

7. mikrob

I also have a stripped screw on a motor. When the time comes that I need to remove it I am going to super-glue an allen-key to the screw & see if that will turn it out. If not, I'll drill.

8. tanasit

JB Weld should work better than CA but takes more time to cure. ;)