Stripped hex screw removal help...

Reaction score
Do any of you guys know the best way to remove a Stripped hex screw? without damaging the plastic? :roll:

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 542
Get an Alan key you no longer want that is the right size and super glue it in the hex head socket. Wait for it to dry then unscrew it

It may not be the screw that is the problem but the wrench. At 2mm material strength and size accuracy become much more important than at 6mm for instance. Find a better quality wrench with a tighter fit and there's a fairly good chance it will come loose.

From a post I made in another thread on 1-10-14:

I've had my P2V for about 3 weeks and, since practice flying around the house presents a number of hard obstacles, thought prop guards might be a good idea. My set of metric allen wrenches included the right size for the motor screws that needed to come out and I went merrily about the business of removing the screws, affixing the guards, and installing the provided, longer screws ... until the 8th and final screw removal. Apparently that last screw had been over torqued (or was defective) because the hex hole was rounded out. If that had been the first screw I attacked, I might have conceded that I screwed up (no pun intended), but it was the EIGHTH ! I tried everything I could think of to get a grip so I could get it out. Eventually I resorted to drilling it out just enough so a small screw extractor I had could get a bite, and back it out.

So the lesson is, DO NOT over tighten those screws when you put them back in (they've got thread lock on them, and you're screwing metal into metal, compressing plastic - they shouldn't need to be gorilla torqued).

BTW - One of the things I tried was JB Welding an old allen wrench into the screw head. It didn't work (the JB Weld was kind of old so perhaps it wasn't curing properly).

I had that same issue but with the repeater, so I carefully drilled just the head of the screw off and after opening the case was able to use a small pair of grip-lock pliers to remove the rest of the screw. I did have to replace it with a tiny Phillips screw I had in my parts bin.

I had the exact same problem doing the same thing - installing prop guards. As others have mentioned, lightly tapping in a torx head bit solves the problem.

Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4