Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Stressed...

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by scholls22, Jul 14, 2015.

1. scholls22

Just purchased my first Phantom Saturday. First purchase of the kind for that matter. I've flown two or three times. Only one small mishap but it has flown since. I came across this site today and after reading a lot of the posts, I'm scared to death to fly it again LOL. 1300 was a LOT for me to drop on anything. I am a complete newb to this. I'm sure the confidence will come. I have so many questions but I'll keep searching on here. Nice to meet al of you who take the time to read this post.

2. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum and do read all you can .
    You will see more horror stories in here than anything else but don't
    let that stop ya from enjoying your new bird.
    Look in video's and you will see what you can do !
    Ya get hung up on something just ask .
    You won't find any smarter folks with these anywhere else !

JonasHess likes this.
  3. spskaya

Ditto

4. stephen.houser1

Agreed. Soak up all the info you can on this site. Fly smart, and practice in a good open area. Don't go too high too quick. Read the manual cover to cover several times. Try to enjoy it and learn from others mistakes.

You're just going to love your Phantom.

5. Chuck Young

Yupper, welcome and have a good time with that bird. Just remember to make sure if you have doubts about what not to do, always choose not to do it. Later on after many more flights then revisit and see if maybe you are ready to do it.

6. marg2

had the same feeling after 3 months of happy flying, reading to many mistakes do OP errors but, found ou, if you do it by the book, is a great bird, your sats and learning atti mode are your best friend enjoy, send some vids

7. Jbundy63

Welcome, Nothing wrong with asking questions. Does help a lot to just read all you can, watch tutorials, YouTube videos and just take your time, after a few flights you will love it!

8. RoyVa

First thing is to look up the IMU calibration, RC calibration and the compass calibration. These should be done after the bird was shipped, newly I boxed or after any major firmware upgrades. Good luck and happy flying.. There are thousands of good stories out here. Take care and have fun!

9. Cyclone

Ive had my P3P for 6 weeks or so and loving it. Im doing short flights so as to break the battery in but what Ive seen of it so far its an awesome little machine. With future firmwares it can only get better.

Have a look in the photo & video section to see what people have achieved so far.

Happy flying !! :)

10. scholls22

Thank you so much everyone. I'll send some videos and pics soon!

11. RedHotPoker

Welcome to the Phantom family.
    Plenty of great people here with much experience and generous with the helpful info.

RedHotPoker

12. louforgiveno

Imagine the total number of phantom 3s sold and consider the number of horror stories and then presume maybe 30-50 percent are user error (maybe even higher) and maybe you'll realize that the fear is overrated. Fly and be smart worry less, have fun.

atki likes this.
  13. zobiwu

I've flown various multicopters since 2008, fpv and non-fpv, and "regular" helis and planes before that
    I've built countless of them from absolute scratch. i fly "atti" when not filming (which everyone calls diff. depending on the flight controller - except you also control altitude usually) - on the p3 i mostly fly gps since you can focus on camera angles.

when i fly the phantom 3 fpv, and the camera moves a little more than it should (you see a few pixels moving) it scares me for a second.

i dont think you get rid of it ;P the phantom feels too disconnected from the piloting, so you dont feel "in control". that said, never really had a "real" problem with it so far..

14. scholls22

Okay, two questions just came to mind.
    1) are there any battery issues that I should be aware of? Any best practices with these batteries such as not draining them past a certain point during use?
    2) can someone explain the return to home feature? When "home" is set prior to taking off, can it be changed during the flight? Is it establishing home as the controller or the particular GPS coordinates when taking off.

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I don't mean to offend anyone!

15. bobmyers

Check this video out regarding battery care--

and also Type in Phantom 3 Battery Battery life in youtube and you will find a lot of information on the P3 Batteries

You can also search and find return to home video descriptions on you tube--

To explain all this information in a post takes some time -- if you have further specific questions, please ask.:)

16. ScottyT

A lot of good info in the manual and on this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/#HowTosP3

17. 2k3sgm

As they say, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask".

18. scholls22

19. scholls22

Alright, I've seen a lot about the new firmware. I didn't not update out of the box so I'm not sure what version I have but I just purchased this last weekend.

So, what are the issues with the firmware and should i download?

Thanks again for everyone's help

20. Buckaye

Flight is very fun
    Test your own limits wisely
    Be done with your stress

#Haiku4Drones
    #Justhavefun
    #Ihatehastags