Stress on landing gear with catch-landings.

Reaction score
Guys, I've been using catch-landings whenever possible to avoid stress or potential impact to the gimbal, or the remote possibility of tip-overs on landing.

It seems there is a bit of stress on the plastic of the landing gear because catching is usually done on one of four corners.

For those of you who have been catch-landing, how is your landing gear holding up?

I've seen the gear bend way before cracking and be coaxed or de-stressed back into shape with gentle heating.

Nevertheless just grab it up close to the body where it's more rigid.

Full disclosure: I have only hand caught about three times since my flying locations are typically smooth or otherwise permissible I prefer to set it down like a pilot.

Very few stories of people damaging landing gear by hand catching and it's pennies to replace.

I also only hand catch as a last resort, as landing on a glide slope into the wind and landing on the transit case is my party piece :)

I hand-catch my P1 by the landing gear and my P2 by the battery.

If hand catching puts stress on your landing gear, it sounds like you're doing something wrong.
Hard to imagine how it would cause a problem.

Meta4 said:
If hand catching puts stress on your landing gear, it sounds like you're doing something wrong.
Hard to imagine how it would cause a problem.

x2. I've been hand catching for a long time and never had a problem nor did it feel like I was stressing the gear. I had some pretty hard drops (some due to VRS) and have never had a problem with the landing gear.

I actually almost lost a finger and eyes because my leg cracked last winter and and almost tipped over on my head with spinning props when hand catching.

It's not worth (losing body parts) it so I just do normal landings now

eyecon82 said:
I actually almost lost a finger and eyes because my leg cracked last winter and and almost tipped over on my head with spinning props when hand catching.

It's not worth (losing body parts) it so I just do normal landings now
Totally agree

:lol:
I prefer to hand catch. Done it at least a hundred times with never a scratch.

I take few chances in picking up debris whether taking off or landing. THAT HAS caused Unexpected Immediate Failure in all Phantom series. I've had the same thing happen with fixed wing electrics. Unexepected because these little magnetic bits can at any time shift in relation to a fixed magnet and add drag to the motor at any time. The failure can be in the loss of rotation of the motor immediately, or at some point, the loss of a ESC through overheating.

Hand catching and pulling the throttle all the way back until the motors stop is how I prefer to land Phantoms. Not only does it demonstrate a control of the bird, but a respect as well. I grab the battery most the time anyway. :)

for example, when you have limited landing or recovery area.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/df attachment]f

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 556
I have a carbon fiber camera guard that bridges the skids so I usually grab that when I hand catch.

Of course, the safest way to catch is the BOD method. (a.k.a. Bird Of Prey) ;)

Attachments

• BOPcatch.png
    BOPcatch.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 392
Catch is easy. Catch is safe on quad. Catch stops a lot of landing damage possibilities. Or have a companion catch so you can more easily shut the power down via controllers.
Always stop camera video before catching so you don't lose footage if you power down first.

I've hand caught my P2V around 100 times and haven't had any problems at all. You need to catch it on the landing skid right where it meets the body, where it's strongest, or catch it by the battery. No worries.

-slinger

I'll have to try this battery catching thing out. I hand catch when the conditions/terrain make it absolutely necessary. I'm a physician/surgeon. I need my fingers ;)

eyecon82 said:
I'll have to try this battery catching thing out. I hand catch when the conditions/terrain make it absolutely necessary. I'm a physician/surgeon. I need my fingers ;)

Good call DOC. There are guys here that just love to hand catch. I only do so when ONLY necessary. I like my fingers as well. AND, I like to actually land my copter. It helps to refine my skills as a pilot!

houstonpilot said:
Guys, I've been using catch-landings whenever possible to avoid stress or potential impact to the gimbal, or the remote possibility of tip-overs on landing.

It seems there is a bit of stress on the plastic of the landing gear because catching is usually done on one of four corners.

For those of you who have been catch-landing, how is your landing gear holding up?

I have UAV bits guard installed which adds support to the legs.
RB

So do I. BUT, sooner or later if you hand catch, YOU WILL GET BIT!

It's like DUI's. Not like it was the suspect's first time. He/she probably did it 100s of times before being caught (cut by props)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair