Stress Fractures

Reaction score
Does anybody know if prop guards plays a role in either causing or preventing the Notorious stress fractures

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does anybody know if prop guards plays a role in either causing or preventing the Notorious stress fractures

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been flying for 2 years now with prop guards and no cracks.

After reading lots of threads and opinions and also after fixing a few cracked shells myself (for friends, mine never cracked and my oldest P3 has almost 400 flights and even a few nicks on the tips from rough landings but no cracks), my opinion is that it makes no difference at all. Won't prevent nor cause cracks, because I have a firm belief that it's related to the plastic mix and/or curing process, thus a QC related issue. It's a lottery indeed, but I suspect only a small part of P3s suffer cracks.

Reactions: Oso and N017RW
After reading lots of threads and opinions and also after fixing a few cracked shells myself (for friends, mine never cracked and my oldest P3 has almost 400 flights and even a few nicks on the tips from rough landings but no cracks), my opinion is that it makes no difference at all. Won't prevent nor cause cracks, because I have a firm belief that it's related to the plastic mix and/or curing process, thus a QC related issue. It's a lottery indeed, but I suspect only a small part of P3s suffer cracks.
I agree with you about stress cracks, as do most (all?) of the forum staff.

I dont think prop guards or those strong arm things prevent cracks at all, but I also dont think they do anything to cause cracks.

What I hear most about prop guards are that they change aerodynamics too much, and people seem to often find a way to use the wrong sized screws when installing them and damage their motors.

Last edited:

What I hear most about prop guards are that they change aerodynamics too much, and people seem to often find a way to use the wrong sized screws when installing them and damage their motors.

Indeed the guards can interfere in some situations, and increase the size and bulk of the P3 as well. I find the P3 a lot more stable and reliable without those so I´ve never used prop guards in any of my quads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
My Phantom 3 Pro was one of the first to be delivered in the UK, and I immediately fitted a set of Bestem Aerial removable prop guards before ever flying. I thought they would help in avoiding stress cracks, but after 11 months cracks were visible around two of the motors. DJI replaced the shell under warranty, and I have subsequently fitted these:

Extended Guard Mounting Base for DJI Phantom 3 (All models)

Bestem claim that these extended mounting bases will help prevent stress cracks, but only time will tell.

My Phantom 3 Pro was one of the first to be delivered in the UK, and I immediately fitted a set of Bestem Aerial removable prop guards before ever flying. I thought they would help in avoiding stress cracks, but after 11 months cracks were visible around two of the motors. DJI replaced the shell under warranty, and I have subsequently fitted these:

Extended Guard Mounting Base for DJI Phantom 3 (All models)

Bestem claim that these extended mounting bases will help prevent stress cracks, but only time will tell.

They look very similar to the mounts for the clip on guards that I have.
I was thinking of just fitting the mounts to beef up the shell by spreading the load on the screw holes and not using the guards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31