Stress Cracks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just found my first stress crack on my phantom 3A. I bought it last May and it's still within the 1 year warranty period. For a crack like this should I seal it with some epoxy, or send it directly to DJI for repairs?
e43bb700d8727758696bc9f949280f26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Once you get the crack, it should be fixed else it would increase as you fly your drone more. If you can fix by yourself, go ahead else send in to dji.

I just sent mine back to DJI. The process was smooth and fast. They actually sent me back a new aircraft instead of a repaired one! I found the entire process pretty impressive.

Reactions: Dounin Front
I just sent mine back to DJI. The process was smooth and fast. They actually sent me back a new aircraft instead of a repaired one! I found the entire process pretty impressive.

Was yours covered under the warranty? I began to file a repair request online and am nervous about the "$65 per hour if you refuse to pay the repair quote". From what I've heard, DJI can charge a lot for fixing parts. When I looked at the warranty page, it said the frame isn't covered by it. I have no rush for time, as long as its repaired right.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I as well sent my out of warranty second hand pro because of the "ESC" error after upgrade, I was sent a brand new bird as well controller , less battery , did get a new set of props in a bag though , they were excellent with me

Reactions: Royr1957
I would give them a call and explain the problem . I have dealt with them over the phone not by the internet. If they fill that it was their problem they while have you print out a form for repairs and for free shipping to and back. After looking it over you will get a estimate for repairs.You can decline or tell them to go ahead and repair. I was told that if the repair was half the cost of a new drone you should buy a new one.This was the service center in So. Ca. , USA. Mine was still under warranty by 2days left.

Was yours covered under the warranty? I began to file a repair request online and am nervous about the "$65 per hour if you refuse to pay the repair quote". From what I've heard, DJI can charge a lot for fixing parts. When I looked at the warranty page, it said the frame isn't covered by it. I have no rush for time, as long as its repaired right.

Yes, they covered in under warranty. I've had mine since last April and had about 15 hours on it.

Last edited:
I just got a response from them, sounds like ill be able to print out a shipping label and send it in. Fingers crossed that the warranty will cover it. No reason why it shouldn't.

If you try to fix it with glue, DJI won't warranty the repair later.
I would argue that. I have stress cracks in that same place and patched it with some plastic weld, been working successfully for months. I checked with DJI beforehand and they said it would still be under warranty as long as no disassembly was done.

When sending it in, would mailing it in the original box be a good idea? Depending on how a replacement or return will go, would dji mail a repaired or replaced phantom in a box. kinda would prefer to have an official box, because it doubles as a backup case.

Hi everyone, just found my first stress crack on my phantom 3A. I bought it last May and it's still within the 1 year warranty period. For a crack like this should I seal it with some epoxy, or send it directly to DJI for repairs?
e43bb700d8727758696bc9f949280f26.jpg

Casey, I just sent my P3S in. I flew it for 3 months with the hairline cracks. After my 2nd flight of the day a few weeks ago, one finally broke through the shell where I could move the shell. So, I sent it in last week for repairs. Still under warranty.

When sending it in, would mailing it in the original box be a good
I sent in mine for a replacement mainboard a while back and used the original box. Just make you put that box in another plain cardboard one and use any packing materials you need to make sure nothing slides around. They returned mine in the same box.

How in the world has someone not started a class action? I sent mine in 3 times for stress crack and its been a few months since the last time I sent it in, but guess what? ANOTHER CRACK!! this is not just some random issue, this is a common issue and should not be happening in droves the way it is.

now that I'm out of warranty I'm screwed and pissed

Has yours been replaced with a brand new phantom or replaced with a refurbished new phantom, or did they just fix your old one?

mine was repaired, a new shell.

I thought after the third time, they installed a different shell because the last 2 before that cracked within a few hours or flight, or less.. This last time its been going a while, as a I said some months now.

But, nope, another crack!

I have sent mine in. I had it back in less than two weeks. Eat coast to west coast. Free shipping both ways.
They will cover it under warranty. It's a well known issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would argue that. I have stress cracks in that same place and patched it with some plastic weld, been working successfully for months. I checked with DJI beforehand and they said it would still be under warranty as long as no disassembly was done.

Well of course if you don't open it. But just spreading some glue on the cracks really doesn't fix the problem. The shell is made of badly processed brittle plastic and needs replacement. Or disassembled and the cracks filled in and reinforced.
It is really thin crap plastic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been hearing more that these stress cracks are over tightening of the screws. Makes sense since that is where they happen. When mine gets back, I am going to check all and make sure they are not over tightened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers