Stress Cracks Phantom 4, what do I do?

Please excuse my ignorance but what causes the range differences between the different Phantom 4 models?
Each model drone that DJI releases has subtle differences in communications technology. I think there are now 4 versions of Lightbridge today. Utilizing the original lightbridge from DJI, the controllers between Inspire 1, P3A, P3P, and P4 are compatible between the craft (98%). When I upgraded from P3P to P4 my range was disappointing with the P4, less than a mile, so I went looking for answers. I discovered the RCs actually have different RF transmission power, as found in my RF measurements last year. I found different radios from DJI (GL300A, GL300C, GL658A) are manufactured to emit different levels of transmit power to the craft. And for the RF power from the P4, it appeared to be MORE than the P3P, so the problem is in the GL300C that ships with the P4 craft. As a result I use the Inspire GL658A RC with my P4 craft, and the stock GL300C is in a drawer not being used. Today my P3P w/GL300A and P4 w/GL658A have about the same range, which is always over 2mi and sometimes up to 3mi using Windsurfer.

It's important to note that what works for me in the US will likely NOT work the same in Europe. DJI radios must adhere to the CE rules for Wifi transmit power, and when they determine the GPS coordinate, they detune themselves to have a lower transmit power. So if anyone travels to Europe from the US, don't expect the same range, unless you have a boosted RC.

P4, P4a and P4p all have different communications technology. They are all incompatible with each other. What's interesting is the P4 and P4a have the same model number on the RC, GL300C, which I deem a weak output RC. However, even though these two controllers have the same model#, they are apparently programmed differently to prevent them from being compatible with each other. Since the RF output is programmable (something I didn't believe initially), the P4a version of GL300C may actually be better RF power than the P4 version of the GL300C.

Last edited:
I have never seen reported experience with legs cracks with or without hand catching. Seems to be very rare then. There is some asymetrical force but very little and mainly dues to craft weight, and legs are not reputed to fail in any way, hand catching or not. The typical issue with legs is with the tiny plastic covers being lost, but also not especially in context of hand catching.

If screws are too tight it can create extra plastic stress around them and cracks can develop. This happened typically around motors mounts. It is then possible the screw of the legs are too tight.

If you return craft for repair cross fingers they just fix it and not send back refurbish one. Because I see some crack being part of body shell if I'm correct.

Last edited:
I have never seen reported experience with legs cracks with or without hand catching. Seems to be very rare then. There is some asymetrical force but very little and mainly dues to craft weight, and legs are not reputed to fail in any way, hand catching or not. The typical issue with legs is with the tiny plastic covers being lost, but also not especially in context of hand catching.

If screws are too tight it can create extra plastic stress around them and cracks can develop. This happened typically around motors mounts. It is then possible the screw of the legs are too tight.

If you return craft for repair cross fingers they just fix it and not send back refurbish one. Because I see some crack being part of body shell if I'm correct.
I agree with you regarding your summary, but in all honesty, when you are purchasing one of these phantoms brand new, there is a real expectation that the quality and degree of workmanship is equal to the advertised performance. I don't remember reading in the owner's to manually run a torque wrench over all the mounting and fixing screws. If the issues were related to reciprocating mass maintenance, then fine, but for static mounting points, like the landing gear, I have my reservations.

Agree. Even with RC helicopters to build there is no info re torque (there is some buffer per sure and common sense needed + loctite). These are made for owner's servicing whereas P4 I'm not sure, at least never seen any DJI info about.

190d68478e712a9424297044ac87b632.jpg

Last edited:
You're right Remi, we buy RTF consumer drones like these phantoms and probably expect to focus on managing the peripheral bits like props, batteries and condition of the flight frame and suspect the rest is ready to go. I suspect that is the plan regarding in having a planned obsolescence in the product to migrate to the next model and having your current car, drone, lawn mower or whatever give you confidence in moving up.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Each model drone that DJI releases has subtle differences in communications technology. I think there are now 4 versions of Lightbridge today. Utilizing the original lightbridge from DJI, the controllers between Inspire 1, P3A, P3P, and P4 are compatible between the craft (98%). When I upgraded from P3P to P4 my range was disappointing with the P4, less than a mile, so I went looking for answers. I discovered the RCs actually have different RF transmission power, as found in my RF measurements last year. I found different radios from DJI (GL300A, GL300C, GL658A) are manufactured to emit different levels of transmit power to the craft. And for the RF power from the P4, it appeared to be MORE than the P3P, so the problem is in the GL300C that ships with the P4 craft. As a result I use the Inspire GL658A RC with my P4 craft, and the stock GL300C is in a drawer not being used. Today my P3P w/GL300A and P4 w/GL658A have about the same range, which is always over 2mi and sometimes up to 3mi using Windsurfer.

It's important to note that what works for me in the US will likely NOT work the same in Europe. DJI radios must adhere to the CE rules for Wifi transmit power, and when they determine the GPS coordinate, they detune themselves to have a lower transmit power. So if anyone travels to Europe from the US, don't expect the same range, unless you have a boosted RC.

P4, P4a and P4p all have different communications technology. They are all incompatible with each other. What's interesting is the P4 and P4a have the same model number on the RC, GL300C, which I deem a weak output RC. However, even though these two controllers have the same model#, they are apparently programmed differently to prevent them from being compatible with each other. Since the RF output is programmable (something I didn't believe initially), the P4a version of GL300C may actually be better RF power than the P4 version of the GL300C.
Thank you very much for that concise, yet detailed explanation.

Hi all pilots. I purchased a Phantom 4 new in January and have lovingly taken care of it. It has had no crashes or hard landings, I hand catch all landings. Today after a flight I notice stress cracks on the upper landing gear that go right into the shell. Will DJI do anything about this under warranty, if not, what should I do to repair them? Epoxy?View attachment 82029
I had the same exact cracks on three arms. No crashes only used sport mode twice. At dji right now. Will not know if I get my same unit back. Sent in o. April 23. Still in "repair process".

I had the same exact cracks on three arms. No crashes only used sport mode twice. At dji right now. Will not know if I get my same unit back. Sent in o. April 23. Still in "repair process".

If it's under warranty you'll likely get a new craft with a new serial number. That's what I had happen.

mffish the Phantom pro has 2.4 ghz as well as 5.8 ghz the rest only have 2.4
Cheers
As much as I would love one for the camera alone, I am not prepared to take the hit on depreciation. I will have to wait a wile and let someone else take that hit for me.

As far as repair goes I used plastic weld which is light cured. Its basically the same material that 3d printers use. You put the material on and then hit it with the supplied UV light and it instantly hardens. Its worked very well to prevent the crack from spreading. My crack is around the battery compartment. I put the plastic weld on the backside and it has not spread and it was a super easy fix.

If it's under warranty you'll likely get a new craft with a new serial number. That's what I had happen.
I bought this drone on oct 19th 2016. contacted DJI with rma# on Apr 23, 2017. it is now may 17 and still at the repair center. if I am getting a different drone then why this: ( I paid this through my pay pal account and it took two days for that to register with DJI)
Dear Customer,

You repair service of Phantom 4 has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer: RobertsonRandy
Case No: CAS-593708-K1K6K9
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 05-07-17
Remarks:

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Phantom 4 Roll Motor 1 12.00 12.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor Cover 1 1.00 1.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Cable Sticker 1 1.00 1.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Bracket 1 6.00 6.00
Antenna Feeder 1 1 4.00 4.00
Antenna Feeder 2 1 4.00 4.00
Phantom 4 Left Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Phantom 4 Upper Cover 1 6.00 6.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Rear Cover V03 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Right Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Antenna Feeder 4 1 4.00 4.00
Antenna Feeder 3 1 4.00 4.00
Phantom4 Central Cover Module 1 8.00 8.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor V2 1 12.00 12.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Cable Cover V03 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Rear Cover 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Gimbal Yaw-axis & Roll-axis ESC Board 1 8.00 8.00
Repair Service Fee 2 65.00/H 130.00
Freight: 13.00
Total Amount: 239.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 239.00

I bought this drone on oct 19th 2016. contacted DJI with rma# on Apr 23, 2017. it is now may 17 and still at the repair center. if I am getting a different drone then why this: ( I paid this through my pay pal account and it took two days for that to register with DJI)
Dear Customer,

You repair service of Phantom 4 has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer: RobertsonRandy
Case No: CAS-593708-K1K6K9
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 05-07-17
Remarks:

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Phantom 4 Roll Motor 1 12.00 12.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor Cover 1 1.00 1.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Cable Sticker 1 1.00 1.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Bracket 1 6.00 6.00
Antenna Feeder 1 1 4.00 4.00
Antenna Feeder 2 1 4.00 4.00
Phantom 4 Left Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Phantom 4 Upper Cover 1 6.00 6.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Rear Cover V03 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Right Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Antenna Feeder 4 1 4.00 4.00
Antenna Feeder 3 1 4.00 4.00
Phantom4 Central Cover Module 1 8.00 8.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Motor V2 1 12.00 12.00
Phantom 4 Yaw-axis Cable Cover V03 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Roll-axis Rear Cover 1 2.00 2.00
Phantom 4 Gimbal Yaw-axis & Roll-axis ESC Board 1 8.00 8.00
Repair Service Fee 2 65.00/H 130.00
Freight: 13.00
Total Amount: 239.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 239.00
I assume you crashed the craft if they are charging you. If you crashed it, you may get the same craft back since you don't have a refresh policy. If you didn't crash the craft, then you should have argued with them about the charge, since there was no pilot error. Many others got their craft replaced under warranty for cracked bodies when there was no sign of pilot error.

it fell three feet into the grass when a prop came off. This was when the drone was fairly new. I never noticed any cracks until just recently. I do not know if that qualifys as a crash.

it fell three feet into the grass when a prop came off. This was when the drone was fairly new. I never noticed any cracks until just recently. I do not know if that qualifys as a crash.
If there were obvious scratches on the body they will classify as pilot error, usually. In that case you should have explained any scratches on the craft, explaining the prop coming off, and explained the new prop installation mechanism DJI invented ($18 upgrade) as proof DJI's original method of prop attachment had room for improvement, preventing props from coming off like yours did. You may have been able to reason with them on that matter and been covered under warranty, but now it's too late now.

I was told the body was not warrantied , the horizon started to be slanted to the right on my videos. I did a gimbel calibration and that did not fix it. so I was advised by dji to send it in.

1. Thanks for the info. My biggest worry is getting a functional drone back. I have read horror stories about reconditioned units that do not work well. I really liked my p4. Life is a learning curve. So are drones.

1. Thanks for the info. My biggest worry is getting a functional drone back. I have read horror stories about reconditioned units that do not work well. I really liked my p4. Life is a learning curve. So are drones.
My P4 was sent in twice for two different issues, ~8 months apart. Both times I got back a brand new unit with different serial number that worked like brand new, no problems. I haven't seen "horror stories" recently like you mentioned, can you point me to one?

Come on John don't play dumb you know how this company operates.
Play dumb? I know DJI has warts, but my experience hasn't been bad so far on the service side. I know they were terrible a couple years ago, but in the last 18mos or so it has improved substantially. I've heard refurbished units have an "R" at the end of the serial number, but haven't heard of any horror stories. I haven't even heard of refurbs being used for warranty replacement yet, am I wrong? I've seen refurbs for sale, but that's all. I did have to argue with DJI last week about them wanting to charge me for a Mavic warranty repair, but they conceded and fix my craft for free. I assume they simply reprogrammed the firmware, because my Mavic "gimbal obstruction" issue had a firmware fix just a couple days ago. Had I simply held off 3 wks I could have likely fixed it myself with new firmware, but who would have guessed that was a firmware issue?

Reactions: RémyHeli

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers