stress cracks on new PSA new motors

Which means nothing. There are easily hundreds of thousands of P3s in the air without them with no cracks. Your argument has no value.
And where does that statistic come from? Pure speculation-- there is no documentation to support that statistic.

And where does that statistic come from? Pure speculation-- there is no documentation to support that statistic.
And there is no documentation to prove that it is even slightly wrong. Even if 100% of the people here had cracks, that would account for less than 5% of the birds sold. Fortunately, there are less than 100 with crack issues here. So do the math! Do a little research on statistics and laws of probability. Then come back and tell me how you are right

Just the other week I had to install a monitor mount to a plasterboard ceiling. There weren't any beams at the point of fastening so I put a timber panel inside the ceiling to distribute the weight. So far the ceiling hasn't caved in and there's no signs of cracking in the surrounding area.

This is the same theory with the strong arm plates except the strong arm plates have extra securing points.

Just the other week I had to install a monitor mount to a plasterboard ceiling. There weren't any beams at the point of fastening so I put a timber panel inside the ceiling to distribute the weight. So far the ceiling hasn't caved in and there's no signs of cracking in the surrounding area.

This is the same theory with the strong arm plates except the strong arm plates have extra securing points.

Not even slightly similar. There is no vibration in a monitor mount. There is a 100% contact mount happening when you backed the plaster with a board. A strong Arms bracket has 6 individual mount points, with no contact except there. And is submitting to potentially insane vibration.

In that... IF the added mounts were to have a mating surface that cradled the lower part of the arm it would likely help a lot. BUT... the holes would have to be made perfectly the right length

Which means nothing. There are easily hundreds of thousands of P3s in the air without them with no cracks. Your argument has no value.
As apposed to yours? I didn't say it proved anything just stating a fact that I can verify, mine has no cracks yet, not blowing a lot of hot air like some.

Not even slightly similar. There is no vibration in a monitor mount. There is a 100% contact mount happening when you backed the plaster with a board. A strong Arms bracket has 6 individual mount points, with no contact except there. And is submitting to potentially insane vibration.

You're really into proving (for whatever reason) these plates are a waste of time. Yet you don't say "The Phantom 3 shell may crack - don't buy it - it's a waste of money"

I cant remember how many people found cracks when it was found out that crack developed WITH added support. And frankly I dont care. Believe what you will...

You're really into proving (for whatever reason) these plates are a waste of time. Yet you don't say "The Phantom 3 shell may crack - don't buy it - it's a waste of money"
I didnt say to not buy a car because every manufacturer has had recall issues either. Is there a mystical point buried somewhere in there?

I re-read what you said and I think I got it this time. This topic has come up a dozen times. It never matters how in depth the failure is defined, there will always be blind followers that swear I'm wrong. Obviously, you may never see a crack when using strong arms, just like I will never see any on my bird WITHOUT them. And we know they get cracks with them.. just some do without. Its a craps shoot what you will roll. but its very evident that spending money on something that has been seen to no solve the problem is NOT any more a solution than doing nothing.

I re-read what you said and I think I got it this time. This topic has come up a dozen times. It never matters how in depth the failure is defined, there will always be blind followers that swear I'm wrong. Obviously, you may never see a crack when using strong arms, just like I will never see any on my bird WITHOUT them. And we know they get cracks with them.. just some do without. Its a craps shoot what you will roll. but its very evident that spending money on something that has been seen to no solve the problem is NOT any more a solution than doing nothing.

My reason for buying them is to stop the motor from tearing away from the existing mount which is more of a problem than a small crack somewhere on the arm.

I've seen the photos where the complete motor mount area has broken away from the arm but remains attached to the motor - I guess this is some form of security in that area.
img_9371-jpg.19586

Last edited:
"We know they get cracks with them". I can't find any such validity to that statement. What is valid, is we know there are many that crack without them. That post made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Please read carefully before hitting post reply.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
Mine (advanced) is just 3 weeks old with 13 flights and no crashes, just discovered this exact same crack in the same spot on the top shell.
My guess as to the cause is that the screw has been overtightened.

Who do I contact, dji or the shop that sold it to me?

But there are plenty that don't make the same mistakes over and over. I had cracking problems that go back to my first Phantom 2 years ago which have continued with my P2V+V3's. I haven't flown my P3P enough to find any because I am still waiting for Flytrex to have a working tracker for it. Time will tell, but after seeing and reading about all the issues people are having, I suspect a replacement shell will eventually be in my future for it as well. I will keep a close eye on it like I have to do with my other Phantoms.

There has been plenty of time to address the issue but we still have Phantoms with shells having all kinds of stress crack issues. The new shell finally addresses the motor screw mounts cracking problem, hopefully that will fix most those problems. Now maybe they need to beef up the top shell.

Same for me since phantom 1. It's an issue that they are reluctant to address through better plastics. Plastics, I might add, that are now even failing in the controllers! In my 36 years if rc aircraft and helicopters, not once did I ever experience screw mount failure that some have been seeing in their controllers lately. While this controller issue could be reduced with longer screws, why is something so banal not taken care of instantly? If I didn't love the DJI phantom I would not even be in here stating my opinion. I would have simply moved on to another product. But in this case it is the best product out there. But the shell material quality has issues. Giving up, say, 10 to 15 percent of flight time for more strength would be quite acceptable to most people out there.

As has been stated over and over again... There are very few people having crack issues. VERY generous figures show that there MIGHT be a 2% instance. I have over 200 flights. Almost all in high winds. And have no issues at all. No, I'm not saying that I am the norm. Just that the reality is that cracks are are a problem, but extremely rare. There is a simple solution. Yet most are unwilling to take advantage of it. In that, they no longer have the right to complain.

If YOU found that there is no definitive data showing that they don't work, then there is also no definitive data showing that they do.

While I disagree that only few have streess crack issues, some of these few like myself have had every phantom crack. I am not new to DJI. I've owned them for years. I had two phantom 1, 2 phantom 2 vision, 3 phantom 2 vision plus, and 3 phantom 3. All but one cracked. The last one developed no cracks on the outer arms but instead spit out, over two months, every single shell clip from the center area of the shell. When a screw including the standoff fell out when removing the battery, I put it away and got a new one out of the closet. Of course there will be those that read this and ask if I opened the shell, flew violently, whatever. My answer is no. I leave that type of flying for my t Rex 600 or immersion vortex 250 pro. While I have zero interest in treetop altitude short range slow stuff, there should not be issues that use light bridge to it's fullest. 100% of my flights are 120 altitude, long range. And in that situation I've aways experienced shell failure. Sometimes quickly, sometimes much later. Yeah I fly long and far at the full 15 meters per second of the craft. The shell should be capable of the speeds advertised. And certainly, these aren't FPV racer speeds. Hence, the shell should be able to cope. Again, excellent bird and I absolutely love it including the form factor and have zero interest in Han Solo or any other unique craft. But what makes it a love and hate relationship with any phantom is the frustration I've experienced with these shell cracks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20