stress cracks on new PSA new motors

I think people are getting confused between the strong arm plates and the plates that only bolt to the motor mount.

You'd have to be blind if you cant see the benefits of the strong arm plates.
I would agree and I'm sure the engineers who own Phantoms would also.

Once again-- you are expressing an opinion-- it is absolute in your opinion--

In some opinions-- it may not be absolute-- and a backup to the motors that prevent the screws from pulling completely through the shell would prevent a motor from coming loose and if they are tight, the motor will not become misaligned. So if some of the flyers want to use the backup plates as an ounce of prevention-- then it is not absolute to those folks. Maybe they can get it on the ground if the four mounting points failed-- at least the motor would not disconnect--- Cheers:)
Fortunately, I have far more than a simple uneducated opinion to back my facts. As I said.. people are free to make their own mistakes. Its really no different than those falling for the flu shot scam. FACTUALLY... its absolute BS! Yet some still feel that its better to follow the hype and unfounded opinions of others rather than look at facts. And again... its their choice. But that choice doesn't make it globally correct or true.

Reactions: eyecon82
Fortunately, I have far more than a simple uneducated opinion to back my facts. As I said.. people are free to make their own mistakes. Its really no different than those falling for the flu shot scam. FACTUALLY... its absolute BS! Yet some still feel that its better to follow the hype and unfounded opinions of others rather than look at facts. And again... its their choice. But that choice doesn't make it globally correct or true.

Again, mistakes to you-- but maybe good solutions to others-- a definite difference of opinion.. and just because someone's opinion differs from yours, that does not make it in your terminology, absolute BS. I don't think anyone on this forum considers your statements as the ultimate authority.

Sheesh, relax and get a life and have some friendly discussions instead of defaming and insulting folks for differing with you.

Reactions: AmosMoses
I'd be interested to see this information as well. I just picked up a used P3P and it has the plates on it already. If they serve no function I'd just assume remove then but would like to see some factual data and testing to back up the worthless claim.
The design looks functional since it displaces some (all be it very little) of torque from the screws.
Those things are complete garbage. Snake oil at its best
It makes absolutely no difference if the motor mounts crack to a degree that it totally separates. If the motor isnt aligned properly its GOING to fall from the sky! Even a degree of variation will make happen.

There was a VERY lengthy conversation here in another link. Search is your friend!! Mechanically speaking, the only think the plates MIGHT do is maintain alignment of the screws into the motors, which isnt a problem. And if the posts that insert into the existing holes dont fill the holes completely it is actually INCREASING stress. This was found to be the case for several people that took theirs off after a period of time and found more cracks than anyone has ever reported prior. In the end.. its your toy! Do what you want. But expect the appropriate response when it comes
Correct. Some people can't think logically

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: III% Streve
Lots of angry folks here tonight with STRONG opinions. I'll have to do some research I guess.

The fellow I bought the P3 from has had the plates on from day one for MANY flights with no cracking issues. I of course took them off to see if there were any cracks hidden underneath and was happy to find none! since the case that the used bird came with was "modified" to accommodate them, I see no reason to remove them for now.
Back on topic for the OP, good luck with your replacement P3!

I can't see the pictures well, but the crack to me seems more like a pressure crack from side pressure or top down pressure.

I am wondering if maybe your box had a lot of pressure on it in shipping, or perhaps tools tumble in shipping.

I just had a replacement sent to me, and Amazon didn't package it all that well. The Phantom's box was in a much larger box with just a few prices of brown packing paper. The box most definitely got thrown around as the gimbal lock was almost totally off

Can someone talk about facts and options?

For instance:

Old Shell:

f1wf7k.jpg

New Shell:

6rts46.jpg

You can buy here the new V2 shell:
Buy Phantom 3 - Shell (Pro/Adv) | DJI Store

Lets be focus on positive and ways to solve this....
Mine went this week to Germany...lets hope they install V2 shell.

Also, DJI changed the Board and new Engines. The engines seems to be more "horizontal", in comparation to the old ones....and also they increased autonomy...

Compatibility Notice for New Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Motors | DJI

I did get a "OK" from DJI in a few hours to replace my shell. They did see my photos and went to the log files....not a user mistake, so they will replace the shell.

Waiting your opinions about the links above....:D;)

There was a VERY lengthy conversation here in another link. Search is your friend!! Mechanically speaking, the only think the plates MIGHT do is maintain alignment of the screws into the motors, which isnt a problem. And if the posts that insert into the existing holes dont fill the holes completely it is actually INCREASING stress. This was found to be the case for several people that took theirs off after a period of time and found more cracks than anyone has ever reported prior. In the end.. its your toy! Do what you want. But expect the appropriate response when it comes

I have searched on here and have found a number of discussions with a lot of speculation. I have seen no hard data to support your assertion.

There is NO company that doesnt have some production problems. NONE

But there are plenty that don't make the same mistakes over and over. I had cracking problems that go back to my first Phantom 2 years ago which have continued with my P2V+V3's. I haven't flown my P3P enough to find any because I am still waiting for Flytrex to have a working tracker for it. Time will tell, but after seeing and reading about all the issues people are having, I suspect a replacement shell will eventually be in my future for it as well. I will keep a close eye on it like I have to do with my other Phantoms.

There has been plenty of time to address the issue but we still have Phantoms with shells having all kinds of stress crack issues. The new shell finally addresses the motor screw mounts cracking problem, hopefully that will fix most those problems. Now maybe they need to beef up the top shell.

Reactions: bighi
But there are plenty that don't make the same mistakes over and over. I had cracking problems that go back to my first Phantom 2 years ago which have continued with my P2V+V3's. I haven't flown my P3P enough to find any because I am still waiting for Flytrex to have a working tracker for it. Time will tell, but after seeing and reading about all the issues people are having, I suspect a replacement shell will eventually be in my future for it as well. I will keep a close eye on it like I have to do with my other Phantoms.

There has been plenty of time to address the issue but we still have Phantoms with shells having all kinds of stress crack issues. The new shell finally addresses the motor screw mounts cracking problem, hopefully that will fix most those problems. Now maybe they need to beef up the top shell.
As has been stated over and over again... There are very few people having crack issues. VERY generous figures show that there MIGHT be a 2% instance. I have over 200 flights. Almost all in high winds. And have no issues at all. No, I'm not saying that I am the norm. Just that the reality is that cracks are are a problem, but extremely rare. There is a simple solution. Yet most are unwilling to take advantage of it. In that, they no longer have the right to complain.

I have searched on here and have found a number of discussions with a lot of speculation. I have seen no hard data to support your assertion.
If YOU found that there is no definitive data showing that they don't work, then there is also no definitive data showing that they do.

As has been stated over and over again... There are very few people having crack issues. VERY generous figures show that there MIGHT be a 2% instance. I have over 200 flights. Almost all in high winds. And have no issues at all. No, I'm not saying that I am the norm. Just that the reality is that cracks are are a problem, but extremely rare. There is a simple solution. Yet most are unwilling to take advantage of it. In that, they no longer have the right to complain.

I also have done a little research, I found that of my four Phantoms 75% of them developed premature, unwanted cracks requiring a shell replacement. That number might be slightly tilted since the fourth Phantom has only been flown a total of 11 times so far.

Once again-- you are expressing an opinion-- it is absolute in your opinion--

In some opinions-- it may not be absolute-- and a backup to the motors that prevent the screws from pulling completely through the shell would prevent a motor from coming loose and if they are tight, the motor will not become misaligned. So if some of the flyers want to use the backup plates as an ounce of prevention-- then it is not absolute to those folks. Maybe they can get it on the ground if the four mounting points failed-- at least the motor would not disconnect--- Cheers:)

Here are some facts for you guys. My last P3A cracked in its first two flights before I put strong arms on. I deceived to return it so o took them off and it cracked again the very first flight they were off. I was very careful not to over tighten.

Reactions: bobmyers
So far they're working for me.
Do you own a set or are you just following others?
Applying logic and a lifetime of experience in dealing with aviation, including air frame crack inspection and vibration management as a retired air frame inspector to the parts I have examined. There is nothing offered buy the existing products beyond weight, and equal securing action that would be afforded by filling the lower part of the case with silicone at the mount point.

There are no links proving one way or the other, only discussions on whether they work or not. I have 130 plus flights with them and no signs of cracks yet so I will keep them on.
Which means nothing. There are easily hundreds of thousands of P3s in the air without them with no cracks. Your argument has no value.

Applying logic and a lifetime of experience in dealing with aviation, including air frame crack inspection and vibration management as a retired air frame inspector to the parts I have examined. There is nothing offered buy the existing products beyond weight, and equal securing action that would be afforded by filling the lower part of the case with silicone at the mount point.

Can you please post a picture of what you think we're talking about?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl