Stress cracks... Great...

Oh, I guess I've been told! Now I can just ignore the many many MANY cases of it ALL over the Internet. Now that "with the birds" put me straight, I'm sad that I wasted my life with mechanics, engineering and a we bit of physics!
This is a forum for people to talk about problems they have and get help with them. Most people aren't going to make topics about "hey my shell hasn't cracked". You only hear about the ones cracking cause they are the ones writing about them. They sold millions of phantom 3's and im sure that most are fine. And btw I'm one of them and mine was bought late last year by a friend of mine. And I've never posted a topic about my shell is not cracked[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh, I guess I've been told! Now I can just ignore the many many MANY cases of it ALL over the Internet. Now that "with the birds" put me straight, I'm sad that I wasted my life with mechanics, engineering and a we bit of physics!
Im not saying there isnt a design, manufacture and/or or material suitability issue with the shells.

As you would have seen from my posts it happened to me and as you have also observed from this forum and other sources many many others.

It hasnt happened to most and is certainly not a guaranteed eventuality as you have suggested.

Anyway. My suggesion to you was to relax and enjoy flying. Keep an eye out for any cracks and take action to rectify if required. In the absence of cracks present in visual inspection pre flight i cant envisage catastrophic failure.

Im not sorry I seemingly wasted my time in providing you with a well intentioned response.

Slap some glue on that and you'll be fine. No need to send it away and wait months.
Mine was out of warranty. I noticed the first crack and opened an email ticket. It was really fast. One week out and back, they even replaced a motor. All free for me. So my recommendation is don't bother with self repair. Send it in they are really fast.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will say that I put some serious miles on mine so I expected to see cracks develop at some point.

Repaired or not, it will do it again
It may but I don't think that is a given. I fly with a group of guys who fly a Phantoms and they have flown more than I have with 0 problems. So 1 of 8 Phantoms have a crack.

And I've never posted a topic about my shell is not cracked[emoji6]

Well, that's pretty **** selfish of you...;)

Reactions: With The Birds
I have about 400,000 feet on my 3S, but early on I put on clip on prop guards (which I have never used)-the mounts for the guards screwed onto the underside of the motors so if I am getting cracks the only way I'd know if I am developing cracks would be to remove them and inspect the shell, something I think I should do in the near future. I do try not to do sudden stops, but even with effort it seems like sometimes the stop is kind of dramatic-in what part of the menu can you change the braking force? What would be a good value to set it at?

Reactions: gvsukids
That's too bad. A life is a terrible thing to waste. [emoji3]

I have about 400,000 feet on my 3S, but early on I put on clip on prop guards (which I have never used)-the mounts for the guards screwed onto the underside of the motors so if I am getting cracks the only way I'd know if I am developing cracks would be to remove them and inspect the shell, something I think I should do in the near future. I do try not to do sudden stops, but even with effort it seems like sometimes the stop is kind of dramatic-in what part of the menu can you change the braking force? What would be a good value to set it at?

I set mine to 50%. It still stops well, but I'm also prepared to pull the stick in the reverse direction if I need to brake harder and coming from 3d helis I'm in fact used to it.

I set mine to 50%. It still stops well, but I'm also prepared to pull the stick in the reverse direction if I need to brake harder and coming from 3d helis I'm in fact used to it.
I just looked in my settings and it goes from 70-130%...it was set in the middle at 50%...[emoji848]

DJI has setup a repair for me and have provided a UPS shipping label. Will be sending it out tomorrow.

Once I get it back I'm just not going to worry about it or bother installing reinforcement plates. If it cracks again then I guess I'll just have to send it back again. I'd rather do that than try to fix/prevent it myself and risk voiding any warranty.

Reactions: gvsukids

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31