Stress cracks... Great...

M_W

Reaction score
I've had my P3S since December 2015 and haven't had a problem with it. I thought I was in the clear as far as stress cracks go, but lo and behold today I found a crack by one of the screws on the bottom of one of the motor mounts. I contacted the DJI US support dept. but I don't have much faith in their customer support based on what I've heard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is the crack likely to spread? It still flies fine but it's really worrying me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Its a known issue so you should have no dramas getting repaired.

My P3P is off having a shrll replacement now.

I went to DJI china direct and they organised collection.

Screenshot_2016-06-14-13-15-37.png

They are repairing mine, no cost. Thet are covering me for freight both ways also.
Just for peace of mind.... Mark whatever you send to them so you know what "was" yours when you get it back and what was replaced. ie: the whole bird or just the bottom shell. For curiosity; if for no other reason.

Glad to hear they are stepping up for the shipping! Other repairs that I have read also fixes the firmware updates' issue if you had any.

Slap some glue on that and you'll be fine. No need to send it away and wait months.
Agreed it can be fixed with Bondic or some of the other suitable products available. Opening the shell (which i assume you have done given your confidence in suggesting a DIY approach), is recommend to have the best chance of performing a suitabe repair and can prove problematic for some.

If you have a later issue involving the shell or loosing a motor in flight your prospects of having DJI honour warranty may be an issue. They may well argue your repair contibuted to the loss and or/you should have given them the opportunity to fix the problem oresent

I've contacted DJI support about getting a repair.

Slap some glue on that and you'll be fine. No need to send it away and wait months.
I'm sure that glue would probably work, but I'd rather go ahead and get it fixed up properly. I don't use it for anything other than my own personal enjoyment, so I can live without it for a month or so.

What worries me now is what's to stop the same thing from happening on the new shell? I guess I could turn down the Active Braking setting, but I already have it turned down some and was very careful about not stopping abruptly. Has anyone had good luck with reinforcement plates such as the UAV Bits Strong Arm?

Support plates will do the job and give a nice chrome touch.

Attachments

• 1466785209184.jpg
    1466785209184.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 375
I would still bond the cracks with a jb weld or super glue from outer shell. Just getting bonding agent into cracks not all over the arm. Let dry the mount the plates

I asked the DJI Support if the repair would be covered under warranty and if I would need to provide my own box for shipping. They said whether or not the repair would be covered by the warranty would be determined by the Repair Team after I send it in and that I would need to use my own box. (Glad I held on to mine...)

Is this normal procedure? I just don't want to send it to their repair center only to hear back that it will cost a lot of money.

@With The Birds
Is this how they handled your repair?

I asked the DJI Support if the repair would be covered under warranty and if I would need to provide my own box for shipping. They said whether or not the repair would be covered by the warranty would be determined by the Repair Team after I send it in and that I would need to use my own box. (Glad I held on to mine...)

Is this normal procedure? I just don't want to send it to their repair center only to hear back that it will cost a lot of money.

@With The Birds
Is this how they handled your repair?
Yes.

I wouldnt have expected DJI to confirm AC would be repaired in warranty without the opportunity to assess based on my description alone.

Screenshot_2016-06-25-08-50-52.png

AC collected from me thursay morning and already assessed. Expected to be on its way back within the week.

The lady told me only delay might be if too windy for test flight.

I could have dissasembled and used glue or replaced the shell at my cost but why? This seems good support to me an reasonable timeframes.

As to cracking agan yes it might, it also might not. I think it is ridiculous to assume it is gauranteed to happen again aftet repair given the number of owners flying without issue.

Send it off and relax.

You mean having it repaired then installing plates? That should keep it from happening again. My guess is the heating and cooling of the plastic makes it brittle in that area. I will probably get the plates before mine does that. My bird is still very new and only flown 5 times so far. I'm still very protective of it. I have 4 other birds but my p3s is far the greatest!

You mean having it repaired then installing plates? That should keep it from happening again. My guess is the heating and cooling of the plastic makes it brittle in that area. I will probably get the plates before mine does that. My bird is still very new and only flown 5 times so far. I'm still very protective of it. I have 4 other birds but my p3s is far the greatest!
Guess away by all means but allow yourself the benefit of what is known. It seems most users dont experience this issue. You certainly cant say its gauranteed to happen.

Fly and have fun.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and send it off. Was hoping to be able to take it to the beach soon but I guess it would be risky flying it around over water and stuff.

Oh, I guess I've been told! Now I can just ignore the many many MANY cases of it ALL over the Internet. Now that "with the birds" put me straight, I'm sad that I wasted my life with mechanics, engineering and a we bit of physics!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31