Stress crack of death

Strong Arm reinforcement plates did it for me and since you don't remove the shell i believe this would not affect warantee.

I could see this being a problem with everyone's drone. Stress cracks in my experience (not on drones) is the hot/cold hot/cold... Expansion and contraction. Eventually something has to give.

Not a problem here in Norway then; always cold here [emoji13]
Lol' maybe worse! Motors heat up, the cool way down due to the cold.. Expansion and contraction. Once again this is not experience with drones. I work in roofing and we put down pvc (plastic) roofs. They will get stress cracks over time due to expansion and contractions. Although why didn't it happen to the p1 or p2? Maybe it did, not sure. Just throwing a few things out there.

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
It happened on the phantom 2 as well. But it happened different. Usually from a motor mount screw on out towards the shell seam. Still not as drastic as on the phantom 3 which I figured DJI would improve at launch. The solutions were there with the only penalty being a little extra weight. Sadly they never bothered until maybe now as some folks have reported with improved screw holes on shells. A mil more thickness on the bottom of the motor mount area would also go a very long way.

If people start reporting stuff like this to the FAA then it will kill our hobby. How much will a drone cost that has to have an airworthiness certificate? Any any mods we do ourselves will have to be approved. You will have to have a certificate to change a prop!!!
Just stop and think people.

Reactions: AirApparent
If people start reporting stuff like this to the FAA then it will kill our hobby. How much will a drone cost that has to have an airworthiness certificate? Any any mods we do ourselves will have to be approved. You will have to have a certificate to change a prop!!!
Just stop and think people.
This is the history of modern government, they allready planned that out years ago, it is what they wan`t more tax for model pilots like us, mandatory training, certificates, approved crafts, all good for the economy, and their media puppets are allready working on creating the public opinion that will allow that, the only way we can fight back is to take and share everywhere nice photos, videos of our areas without invading public privacy and while being careful not to hurt or damage anyone, to create positive public opinion and maybe gain a couple more years before the government create abusive legislation on our dreams again.
This is why i've worked hard and have become a really well known freelancer model aircraft videographer/photographer pilot here in Northern Ontario, have over 300000 views on my videos on facebook, almost everyone 300km arround here know me and have watched some of my shots, i always do this for free for the community, and i encourage everyone to do the same in your area.

Fly safely, do proper maintenance, plan your flights, and share some nice art all over the place to show the world we are good peoples with a passion, before the media make us look like devils with an obssession !

P/S: When i noticed haircrack on 1 screw i stopped flying for 2 weeks until i receive the Arm reinforcement kit, for obvious security reasons.

Last edited:
I just bought a new shell. I mixed some glass fiber into some zpoxy and used that mixture to coat all the areas that I think might have problems. It takes 24 hours to cure but it should be rock hard without adding much weight.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442036477.460138.jpg

I keep seeing about people using epoxy or hot melt or whatever. Plastics are very hard to glue. Epoxy doesn't bond properly. You need a solvent based adhesive for plastic.
Having said that if it spreads the load and stops the cracks maybe all out bond strength isn't important. Time will tell.

Google "Metalset A4". Hands down the best stuff I have used. It's like a military grade JBWeld. I used it patch together my P3P that I received crashed. I use it on everything, even a crack in a boat engine block...point is it holds. Superglue is very weak and can not take any type of stress.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj