Strategy to Grading P4P Clips

Reaction score
I am using Premier Pro CC 2017 to grade my P4P video clips obtained with Color = dLog and Scene set to -2,-2,-2 . I am relatively new to grading video but experienced when it comes to using Photoshop in adjusting raw files from Canon 5D Mark III.

A number of graders on this forum have written that all they really require is Lumetri Color to grade their video clips. I do not understand why individuals are using this strategy. Please help me understand where I going wrong with the following strategy (BTW I use the Lumerti meter to make certain I am not clipping highlights and shadows):
  • Add a level effect. Adjust white and black points. Also, adjust the gamma to brighten or darken the clip.
  • Add a curves effect (not certain why they obsoleted this effect in 2017). Change the curve to an "S" to bring back a little contrast.
  • Add an Unsharp mask effect.
  • Now add the Lumetri Color effect to increase saturation and make other fine adjustment to get the desired look and possibly adjust the color.
All the while I am looking at various locations in the clip to make certain I am not clipping the highlights and shadows. If I start to clip go back and adjust level and curves.

So folks help me out. What is wrong with this approach?

Donald Barar

I thought all of these settings you are doing are referring to the Lumetri Color Pallette Don. I am new to Premier Pro in the last two months myself. But I use the meter to check clipping as well. And then I am just going through all the normal exposure settings like setting a traditional Raw file from stills in Adobe Raw.

I thought all of these settings you are doing are referring to the Lumetri Color Pallette Don. I am new to Premier Pro in the last two months myself. But I use the meter to check clipping as well. And then I am just going through all the normal exposure settings like setting a traditional Raw file from stills in Adobe Raw.
Hi K,

I am a limited user of Adobe Raw adjustments with the exception of minor tweaks to color temperature, camera profile adjustments, and perspective adjustments.

I am essentially following the same strategy that I use to adjust still images once I get them out of Adobe Raw. I like my approach because I can turn off individual effects to see how they change the overall clip.

Hi K,

I am a limited user of Adobe Raw adjustments with the exception of minor tweaks to color temperature, camera profile adjustments, and perspective adjustments.

I am essentially following the same strategy that I use to adjust still images once I get them out of Adobe Raw. I like my approach because I can turn off individual effects to see how they change the overall clip.
Just saying you can turn off all of the Lumetri Color adjustments at any time to see your adjustments. Under the effects tab where all the Lumetri color controls are. Basic Correction, Creative, Curves, Color Wheels and HSL Secondary. Each of these has a little check mark by them to turn on and off the adjustment you made on them. Is this where you are tweaking your adjustments at? Under Effects?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl