Strange sound from one of the motors

Reaction score
Hi All;

Brand new 2 week old newbie here. I've had my P3s for 2 weeks and about 8 flights no crashes, tree limbs, etc. From the first turning on of the motors and take off, there has been a sound that resembles the rattling of chains. It's not a high pitch metal on metal type of sound, but really does sound like rattling chains with a somewhat high pitch with or without props on. I thought that maybe it was normal since the only other drones I have or a couple little ones I practice flying on. The P3s flies fine. A friend of mine came over to see it and he instantly hears the sound and says I have a problem. I told him it's been that way since the first day and doesn't seem to bother anything. He flies small drones with nothing in the DJI class. He states I might be losing a motor.

My question: do any of you P3s owner's have any kind of sounds other than the spinning motors or wind from props???

I still have time to exchange it if I have too.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Whizzn

Sounds like your bird has an issue. I think I would exchange it right away. ;)

DJI
Hi All;

Brand new 2 week old newbie here. I've had my P3s for 2 weeks and about 8 flights no crashes, tree limbs, etc. From the first turning on of the motors and take off, there has been a sound that resembles the rattling of chains. It's not a high pitch metal on metal type of sound, but really does sound like rattling chains with a somewhat high pitch with or without props on. I thought that maybe it was normal since the only other drones I have or a couple little ones I practice flying on. The P3s flies fine. A friend of mine came over to see it and he instantly hears the sound and says I have a problem. I told him it's been that way since the first day and doesn't seem to bother anything. He flies small drones with nothing in the DJI class. He states I might be losing a motor.

My question: do any of you P3s owner's have any kind of sounds other than the spinning motors or wind from props???

I still have time to exchange it if I have too.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Whizzn
DJI Warranty might cover it.

You have tiny black metallic ferrite in your motors. It can cause the motor to make a metallic and sometime squealing sound..

Def take it back for a replacement. This could be the start of many issues to come and if the motor fails in mid air then it's bye bye phantom

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Being a "Brand new 2 week old newbie..." you might just be worrying over nothing.

Its very common here for (new) folks to immediately worry over noises and such with no past Phantom experience or perspective.

When it comes to motor health, post-flight temps., as compared to each other, is your best method for determining the relative conditions. If one or more is hotter than the other(s) then you may have some added friction from worn bearings or some other foreign material. All you need is your fingers.

The bearings are sealed and will last hundreds of hours so there's no need to try and add oil.
It will just retain more dirt, etc.

Being a "Brand new 2 week old newbie..." you might just be worrying over nothing.

Its very common here for (new) folks to immediately worry over noises and such with no past Phantom experience or perspective.

When it comes to motor health, post-flight temps., as compared to each other, is your best method for determining the relative conditions. If one or more is hotter than the other(s) then you may have some added friction from worn bearings or some other foreign material. All you need is your fingers.

The bearings are sealed and will last hundreds of hours so there's no need to try and add oil.
It will just retain more dirt, etc.

Why do you just quote (repost) my post?

Do you have something to add and forgot?

I'm curious as I see this occasionally and wonder what I'm 'missing'?

Hi N017RW !

I'm also a newbie to this forum and hit the wrong key before being ready to post....sorry for that!
Thank you for your reply. I can certainly understand your advice to a newbie ! Can I still see prior motor temps or is that something that must be done after landing and before turning of the bird?

Hi N017RW !

I'm also a newbie to this forum and hit the wrong key before being ready to post....sorry for that!
Thank you for your reply. I can certainly understand your advice to a newbie ! Can I still see prior motor temps or is that something that must be done after landing and before turning of the bird?

There is no sensor on-board associated with motor temp.

You'll just need to feel them by hand.

They should never be so hot as to burn you and I suspect you'd smell something first not mention melting or softened plastic at the mounts.

(Thanks for clearing up the re-post question)

Thank you for clearing up the motor temp. I will definitely try that. I really don't want to exchange it for a new one. It updated fine and flies like a Cadillac...lol. However, I forgot to add that there is a vibration that visibly effects the plane in a hover. I thought it was unbalanced props because I put the 2nd set that came with it on and it seemed to reduce the vibration. I took my props to a friend who tried to balance them and all 8 of them came out fine with no out of balance props. My friend again said he thinks that a motor is going out and besides the noise is causing the vibrations. The other folks that replied to this message trying to help, all feel either a warranty item or exchange needs to be done. I guess with this type of investment I should take the cautious role and exchange it before something bad happens. But, as a learning lesson, I will try a short flight to feel the motors as you suggest.
Thanks Much !
Whizzn

Thank you for clearing up the motor temp. I will definitely try that. I really don't want to exchange it for a new one. It updated fine and flies like a Cadillac...lol. However, I forgot to add that there is a vibration that visibly effects the plane in a hover. I thought it was unbalanced props because I put the 2nd set that came with it on and it seemed to reduce the vibration. I took my props to a friend who tried to balance them and all 8 of them came out fine with no out of balance props. My friend again said he thinks that a motor is going out and besides the noise is causing the vibrations. The other folks that replied to this message trying to help, all feel either a warranty item or exchange needs to be done. I guess with this type of investment I should take the cautious role and exchange it before something bad happens. But, as a learning lesson, I will try a short flight to feel the motors as you suggest.
Thanks Much !
Whizzn

Playing with fire! :D Goodness Gracious - just take it back and get a new one. Why even risk it? I can understand NOT wanting to wait for a lengthy warranty repair which is just might what will happen if you fry it first! The retailer may NOT take it back in that condition. If you take it back now before it's trashed, i'm pretty sure it's a simple swap - and they send it back. Good Luck, and if you're not listening to us, at least listen to your friend --that's what they're for. :rolleyes:

Playing with fire! :D Goodness Gracious - just take it back and get a new one. Why even risk it? I can understand NOT wanting to wait for a lengthy warranty repair which is just might what will happen if you fry it first! The retailer may NOT take it back in that condition. If you take it back now before it's trashed, i'm pretty sure it's a simple swap - and they send it back. Good Luck, and if you're not listening to us, at least listen to your friend --that's what they're for. :rolleyes:

Hi Gulf !
I did in fact listen to you as well as the others. I exchanged it yesterday. So far, all is good! Now to practice flying it and learning the camera settings. I know crap about photography and need to learn how to adjust the camera for cloudy days. At the default settings the pictures are darker than I like. I've tried the built in filters ie: dream, vivid, etc. They are ok, sorta but not what I'm looking for.

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions and help with my prior bird. You all were right. I feel much better now that I've gone through the exchange and new setup again.

Whizzn

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj