Strange pixels on night shoot

Reaction score
Hi there, my fellow phantom pilots!

I took the quad out for a night session. Pics are really quite good but the video... I don't know what happened or what is causing this. At some moment strange white pixels apear and stay on the same spot while the quad is moving. Please take a look at the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bAh8OYdSc . I do not want to make a lot of nightshots and if this is normal behaviour I am ok with that. Just checking ;)

Could be.. but I do not see it on the pics I took. And it seems that bright lights are whipping away the pixels. But maybe you are right.. I will try again some other time.

Time to clean your lens.
I noticed the spots never changed dimension or location so that means they are on the lens itself.

I am sure it has something to do with the lens or the cmos (is it?). Lens is clean (I checked that).
It looks like some digital effect to me. You can see the bright spot in the top right corner is canceling out the pixels (0:11).

Yes it was all on auto. I just received a msg from the reseller and he also told me it is because of the low light conditions. I am ok with that as I was just unsure if this was normal behaviour and apparently it is.
Thank you all for the suggestions you made.
I think this thread can be closed. :idea:

That's definitely not stuff on the sensor or lens. As a pro photographer of 25 years, I know what dirty lenses and sensors look like. They are never in focus even with a macro lens because the depth of field doesn't include the front of the lens back to the sensor. Lens and sensor spots are almost always out of focus. Even stuff that flies in front of the image is often out of focus, which explains many of the "orbs" people see, they are simply dust or insects.

No this is a problem in image processing, either on the sensor as electron heat spillover or more likely in the image processing itself since this error seems to only be happening on the 1080P 30FPS Wide FOV setting. Either way it's definitely a flaw in the product.

As you apply more gain to the picture - to allow it to shoot in low light, some pixels misbehave and "white out".

Ask the astronomy boys who use low light CCDS. They film some dark sky first to identify the white pixels then invert the mask to get rid of them when they clean up the shot.

Professional cameras have a Black Level button, which closes the iris and then analyses a frame of black for duff pixels. These are mapped and masked.

You could do something similar in the edit, but would need to lock the gain, so you know where the pixels are and how much correction to apply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj