Strange noise after crash

Reaction score
Long time lurker here so thanks for all the helpful info out there. So I had a pretty rough crash yesterday. I won't go into details but let's just say I didn't check my surroundings as well as I should have. The shell damage wasn't as bad as I would have expected, but one of the arms is slightly bent and I don't want to risk flying so I am going to replace the shell. A couple other things though. Think I might have damaged the compass, as I cannot get it to calibrate after repeated tries in the same location where I typically calibrate it away from interference. Also getting abnormal compass reading. So I'm going to try replacing the landing gear and compass to see if that helps.

My main concern is this noise that seems to be coming from the gimbal while it's just sitting there. I'll try to include a video. The sound is usually heard once when powering up but as you'll hear in the video, it keeps going for as long as it's powered up.

Any ideas? P3A, by the way.

Noise from gimbal comes if motors are obstructed to complete their movement. Carefully watch for any bent part on gimbal. Gimbal is very delicate, it can't withstand crashes, it's flat ribbon cables are delicate too. You can disable gimbal totally and see if noise disappears and then move forward step by step.

I didn't hear anything not normal... except that thumping but that sounds like camera interference? I would take the .bin file off of the sd card. Take a pic of the damaged arm, honestly it looks a lot better then mine and she flies just fine

So the D-D noise that starts at 18 seconds is normal? I rarely have it running like this inside so maybe I usually don't hear that noise when I'm outside.

The gimbal looks to be moving correctly so I'm hoping it's ok. It didn't take any direct contact in the crash but realize it is sensitive to indirect impacts.

I was hoping that your video moved to the front so we could see the light on the gimbal. What is that light doing?

I'm at work so will double check the front of the gimbal tonight. I was so mad at myself last night that I hardly wanted to look at the thing.

Does it make the d-d noise when the R/C is connected? Or if you sart the R/C then the app then start the bird?

Our forum should have a feature to get video on so that we could talk to the concern person, see what's happening, instruct immediately and resolve issue faster. Is this a wishful thinking? :)

Also. The abnormal compass readings. I got that when one of the wires connected to the mother board came loose. It would say no data. But once connected it came back good. I ordered one when I was not sure. It's just sitting around if you need another compass. I don't need it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Also. The abnormal compass readings. I got that when one of the wires connected to the mother board came loose. It would say no data. But once connected it came back good. I ordered one when I was not sure. It's just sitting around if you need another compass. I don't need it

Appreciate that. I have new landing gear coming in tomorrow with compass built in, so I'm hoping once I open things up that it will be a quick plug fix and I can return the gear.

When u pop it apart u may see that the compass wire is off or broken. Check where it plugs into the MB. It could have broken the solder joint at the MB.

Some else took mine apart. And that is exactly what the problem was. He re soldered it. And good as new.

Reactions: Droneted
When u pop it apart u may see that the compass wire is off or broken. Check where it plugs into the MB. It could have broken the solder joint at the MB.

Exactly what happened. Broke the solder on 3 of the little prongs that are soldered to the main board.

Bummer. Those are some tiny solder. And one looks to have pulled the actual thread that runs in the board out.

I had that happen. I didn't have a tiny solder gun back then. Now I would try to resolver it. Maybe directly. It is trash now so it couldn't hurt to try. I have soldered a pin on a gimbal board and it worked

Thinking this isn't good either. If it sits like this for more than about a minute, that sound goes constant and the only the red light stays flashing.

Do you have your SD card in the drone?

Yes. I tried a few times to update firmware and it would get about 1 minute into the update and then go to solid red light and solid DDDDDDD sound. Text output indicated firmware update failure. I'm thinking this could be due to having the compass and GPS unplugged from the main board. Would components being unplugged lead to a failure?

Found a board with motors attached on eBay that I am going to give a try.

Based on gimbal operation at startup I'm crossing my fingers that it is still in good shape. So if I can get back in business with just a board and shell replacement I will be happy, despite a hard lesson learned.

The d-d from the camera is the noise it makes while updating the F/W. See the red/green flashing camera status led.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj