Strange grinding noise from motors

Reaction score
Hi everyone, noticed recently when flying my phantom 4, the motors are making a strange clicking / grinding noise. On closer inspection it's two of my motorways and when I manually move the motor, it feels as if it's catching on something.

I've uploaded a video, any idea what it could be? Change in motors needed maybe? Anyone else had this issue? I've had it since release day so it's
Coming up to a year old.

I've uploaded to YouTube as it won't let me through the app

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It sounds like the prop retainers are getting loose.
Hold the motor from spinning. see if the prop has any movement on it's retainer.

Definitely check on all of your prop retainer springs like Turbomania said. I had the same gripe a few months back with mine. Turns out that one spring was just barely a thou lwer than the rest. Bent it back and BOOM back in business.

There is also the Possibility that debris blown up from the take off point or from handling the aircraft in your workspace, that you now have small pieces of Debris inside your motor. If this debris is ferric the magnets inside your motor can attract them. The debris will try to bind The rotating part of your motor to the stationary part. I have had this happen and was able to use high-pressure air to blow the debris back out of the motor. But you may also have to disassemble the motor to be able to get the debris out.
I carry a 3' x 5' rubber door mat to put down for a take off point when I go to fly my phantom, definitely cut down on all the dust and debris picked up

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: DanMan32
Take the propellers off your motor and turned it just using the shaft then you'll be able to feel if the debris is between The rotating part and the stationary part.

There is also the possibility that your bearings in the motor or breaking down, if that is the case you will be feeling the balls inside the bearing trying to bond up as they disintegrate

Change in motors needed maybe?
no. I had the same issue. Just adjust the metallic tab behind the propeller. Move it up a little bit so the propeller will be better adjusted. That is.

How many hours do you have on the aircraft since new? Do remember that it needs maintenance as well. Engines should be replaced after 90-100 hours TT...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There is also the Possibility that debris blown up from the take off point or from handling the aircraft in your workspace, that you now have small pieces of Debris inside your motor. If this debris is ferric the magnets inside your motor can attract them. The debris will try to bind The rotating part of your motor to the stationary part. I have had this happen and was able to use high-pressure air to blow the debris back out of the motor. But you may also have to disassemble the motor to be able to get the debris out.
I carry a 3' x 5' rubber door mat to put down for a take off point when I go to fly my phantom, definitely cut down on all the dust and debris picked up

Doormat, why didn't I think of that?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4