Strange gps lost warning

Reaction score
hi everyone,

This morning i tried for the first time my new shield k1 with my phantom 3 advanced. I have the marshmallow 6.1 android version and i know it has compass calibration problems, so before takin off i turned it on and calibrated with field compass. Still the map wasn't rotating exactly as i was moving the controller as it usually does with my iphone 6, anyway...
After 5 minutes ( all pre flight checks done), The drone was 400 mt far from me, Signal strenght was full all and 17 satellites were locked on.
Then for appearently no reasons it switched to atti mode, and the no gps warning flashed on the screen.
I immeditly took it back to me and landed, as i don't like to fly out of sight in atti mode..
Do you think the tablet gps/compass bad calibration could have been the cause? In case a downgrade to the previois firmware of the tablet, would be the only solution as someone says this fix the compss malfunctioning problem.
Could be something else?
I'd like to avoid things like this, especially cause sometimes i fly 3/4 km far and it's not so great to fly back in atti mode only watchin at the screen..
Thanks for your help

Please upload your flight log here and post a link so we can take a look.

DJI Phantom 3 Log Viewer - Phantom Help

It's strange, from the flight log appearently the bird never lost gps signal and it never switched to atti mode...but that 's what the app on thr tablet was telling me..
So it has been a tablet issue? Probably depending on some compass\gps failure\interference?

Last edited:
DJI Phantom 3 Log Viewer - Phantom Help

It's strange, from the flight log appearently the bird never lost gps signal and it never switched to atti mode...but that 's what the app on thr tablet was telling me..
So it has been a tablet issue? Probably depending on some compass\gps failure\interference?
Sounds like the same thing that has been reported multiple times since mid January around when the new app was released. Here are a couple of the threads that seem to be similar to what you experienced. Says no GPS, but still acts like it has GPS. As far as I know, no root cause has been determined.

15 GPS satellites, but GPS repeatedly drops

Non gps mode moments + log

"Safe to fly - Non GPS"

Safe to fly NO GPS problem

Last edited:
Reactions: WetDog
We have been noticing this issue since DJI GO App 2.50 was released

appearently the bird never lost gps signal and it never switched to atti mode...but that 's what the app on thr tablet was telling me
Your logs look good. Did your Phantom ever appear to be flying in ATTI?

Mine did the same yesterday i had 18 sats and it switched to atti with yellow lights flashing i returned and landed. Did imu calibration today and flew 1 battery different location all fine.

SteUk, can you upload your log here and post a link so we can take a look?

Just on my way out to a appointment but will when i get back how do i do it?

Click my link above. You'll find instructions there.

Apparently, according to what I've read the craft still acts just like it is in gps mode. My response to this would be a wind check. Flip to atti, watch drift for a few seconds and flip back to gps mode. If function is not returned use your own judgement based on your skill level.

Looks like a bug in the newest release of the android go app.

It never happened with my iphone, first time has been the first time with the shield k1..
And yea, apperantly it's only a warning from the app cause from the log i can see everything was fine amd the phantom never lost contact with satellites! Dji go was flashing "atti mode".

Reactions: SteUk
I believe your log is showing a compass error when it shows "Yaw Error" at the 4:58 mark. That's where the mode switched to ATTI. Check your compass mod in the DJI GO app. It should be somewhere between 1500-1600.

Ok thanks i did check it before take off and i'm sure it was ok. I did a cold imu calibration today and a compass cal when i got to were i was flying and it flew nice. In go app its showing battery needs update dji updated my p3p to 1.5 so both my batteries got updated but i downgraded to 1.4 is it safe to fly with the fw version on my batteries? Thanks Ste

In go app its showing battery needs update dji updated my p3p to 1.5 so both my batteries got updated but i downgraded to 1.4 is it safe to fly with the fw version on my batteries?
I think you'll be fine as long as you're not running 1.5 on your Phantom. I'm not aware of any issues when using 1.4 along with batteries that have a newer firmware installed on them.

Reactions: SteUk
I think you'll be fine as long as you're not running 1.5 on your Phantom. I'm not aware of any issues when using 1.4 along with batteries that have a newer firmware installed on them.

Ok thanks. What would you have done in the situation i was in when it switched to Atti?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1