Strange Fetish

Well folks , I'm just a super newbie that still flys the ar drone,2.0, and in fact was about to purchase a phantom 3. But this site with all its information decided to wait on the p4. Will be ordering it next week. So I'm no expert on the bird. But I have been in this site for several months, and have been all over it. It's a great site!
But here is my situation. I have watched just about all the videos out there on P,1,2,3 quads. Where are folks flying these quads, most vids that I see here in the states are illegal, I love the long flights but, from what I read and see, the rules, you cannot fly over buildings, structures etc. even the ones flying in the line of site fly over buildings, homes, Walmart, major interstates,Etc. Not to mention all the rules in parks, state parks , and people complaining just because they see you with a drone. And wow! the airports, heliports, I would healthily say that 60 or 70 percent of all the flying I see in this site and YouTube are illegal. Please folks I'm just making an observation.
The main purpose for me and upgrading, is the capability of what the phantom can do, and that is flying a machine as if you are flying a real plane. You follow all the rules while you watch your drone travel, while looking at a screen.
My health and age won't allow me to fly real planes , but this is close enough for me.
But as to where legally, I have no clue.
I'm in the process of moving to another area, and hopefully I can find and area where I can fly long range over no mans land. I have flown a friends p3, and it has much more control than the ar drone, it's so precise.
Love it, knew right away that flying long range was for me. But where you folks fly seem so illegal. Am I wrong in stating this.
What am I missing. If I'm in a neighborhood, and I launch in between two houses, and take off way above down the road , am I not in violation. If registered and the bird drops out of the sky on the guys new car up the street. I'm in big trouble.
As I said I'm ordering my P4 next week. As to where to fly it, at this moment I have no clue, I'll just stare at it next to my flat screen and imagine where to fly it.
What I'm saying is that most folks are flying these birds against the rules.
Are there such things as parks that allow drones to be flown unhindered.
I would not mind driving out a few miles to a area where there is open fields , desert flat lands and trees , water and places to fly like a bird.
I'm not complaining, but flying these birds are much more complicated, than just going out in a big field and flying a ar drone.
So folks I know you will set me straight, and I deserve it.
Future Phantom flyer Robert.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As I said I'm ordering my P4 next week. As to where to fly it, at this moment I have no clue, I'll just stare at it next to my flat screen and imagine where to fly it.

First, I think to assert that most Phantom flyers are operating their aircraft illegally is a HUGE overstatement, and technically incorrect. But that has been debated to death in other threads.

Caltech, you indicate you are moving, but you don't say where, and yet you want advice on where to fly. Well, instead of a lengthy post about stuff that is mostly incorrect, why not share with us where you live and where you will be after relocating? That way, the folks on this forum can be of assistance to you, rather than just your straw men.

For me, the majority of my flying takes place in the desert where I don't experience any of the issues you complain about. In fact, on March 20th, I'm hosting a Phantom Fly-in near Landers, California, where I live part-time. You are welcome to come.

GMARS-13-02-16.jpg

Reactions: Fplvert
I don't fly a Phantom 3 to prove my manhood (or relive my kidhood). I don't pat myself on the back for a good flight. I fly a Phantom 3 because it is an aerial camera and it let's me take videos and still images that heretofore were impossible or absurdly expensive. It allows me to undertake projects of art and documentation that were previously unthinkable for single person on a modest budget. Some of the subjects of my work require flying a long distance to reach them. And I wouldn't trade most of that work for all the rolls and loops and engine tuning in the world.

Each to their own.

View attachment 46092
What kind of camera did you use to take this photo?

Please don't think I'm complaining , if so I apoligize. I'm sure you follow the rules. That's not where I'm coming from. Yes it will be difficult to fly in my area, I was just stating that a lot of flights that I see here, seem to be where one should not fly. Case in point, I have a soybean field behind my house, 2 miles square , surrounded by highways. I can take a chance and fly in the field, or go across the highway as I see in so many videos. I'm not being critical of how one flies there bird. In fact a year or so ago, no one was talking about all the rules and regs. After I was aware that I had to register , all of a sudden I was faced with all the new rules. So sir , please I'm just looking at what happens if I decide to go out and fly in the soy bean field, and officer stops me. Will,I be lawful. Right off the bat I will not, there are two airports with end nine miles of myself, and one runway they fly right over me.
My last grand child has left the state , so there is nothing stopping my wife and myself from moving.
Like yourself you have a place where you can fly unhindered, that's what I'm talking about.
I see a lot of folks in here and other sites, flying where I know that they should not be flying. I just don't have the nerve to fly over structures and people, and children standing around. Until I get a bank roll, I will take chances like the good pilots in here.
I have a daughter that lives in Las Vegas, I'm going out there and see my options, a lot of desert.
So sir I'm not complaining, just observing.
And don't temp me , I just might head that way.
Robert

You are correct, if you follow the rules as set forth by the FAA (for those living in the US) most of the videos you see on Youtube or Vimeo or where ever are in violation of those rules. As stated in an earlier post in this thread the "legality" of those FAA rules has been and is being argued to death. So, I won't EVEN touch that. But yes, you are correct if you base it off the FAA rules.

Well folks , I'm just a super newbie that still flys the ar drone,2.0, and in fact was about to purchase a phantom 3. But this site with all its information decided to wait on the p4. Will be ordering it next week. So I'm no expert on the bird. But I have been in this site for several months, and have been all over it. It's a great site!
But here is my situation. I have watched just about all the videos out there on P,1,2,3 quads. Where are folks flying these quads, most vids that I see here in the states are illegal, I love the long flights but, from what I read and see, the rules, you cannot fly over buildings, structures etc. even the ones flying in the line of site fly over buildings, homes, Walmart, major interstates,Etc. Not to mention all the rules in parks, state parks , and people complaining just because they see you with a drone. And wow! the airports, heliports, I would healthily say that 60 or 70 percent of all the flying I see in this site and YouTube are illegal. Please folks I'm just making an observation.
The main purpose for me and upgrading, is the capability of what the phantom can do, and that is flying a machine as if you are flying a real plane. You follow all the rules while you watch your drone travel, while looking at a screen.
My health and age won't allow me to fly real planes , but this is close enough for me.
But as to where legally, I have no clue.
I'm in the process of moving to another area, and hopefully I can find and area where I can fly long range over no mans land. I have flown a friends p3, and it has much more control than the ar drone, it's so precise.
Love it, knew right away that flying long range was for me. But where you folks fly seem so illegal. Am I wrong in stating this.
What am I missing. If I'm in a neighborhood, and I launch in between two houses, and take off way above down the road , am I not in violation. If registered and the bird drops out of the sky on the guys new car up the street. I'm in big trouble.
What I'm saying is that most folks are flying these birds against the rules.
Are there such things as parks that allow drones to be flown unhindered.
I would not mind driving out a few miles to a area where there is open fields , desert flat lands and trees , water and places to fly like a bird.
I'm not complaining, but flying these birds are much more complicated, than just going out in a big field and flying a ar drone.
So folks I know you will set me straight, and I deserve it.
Future Phantom flyer Robert.

I can understand the OP's thoughts. I also started flying RC planes. I built all of mine and they are semi scale. I liked having the plane within sight. It was a thrill to have a good realistic take off and landing per the type of craft it was. Roll, loops, etc was a skill to be learned. There wasn't any auto anything. You had to fly it. Now, having the quads go a long way via video is kind of cool but that's all you do. If all my flying was looking at a screen, I might as well save the money on the quad and play video games. I like flying my Phantoms and shooting video but that's all they do. I actually liked flying my planes more. I can see some reasons for the video flights. It gets you in places not normally accessible. When you build a plane from sticks, tune the engine, and have a good flight...it's something to be proud of. If you don't build it straight, can't keep an engine running, or even fly in a controlled manner and crash...it's all on you. When we got into trouble, we had to get ourselves out. We had no Return To Home button and auto land. So the next time you take your self flying gps self leveling bird up and think you did such a great thing...you really didn't. It did it. Go to full manual and report back to us old RC guys on how well you did. .
Where's your lawn, so I can stay off of it? :D

Really amazing that thing can stay so stable for 5 seconds.

Yeah, I was impressed, too, tho this was the sharpest of about six different exposures. It helped that there was no winds that evening - totally calm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1