Strange ESC error ... and symptoms

Reaction score
After about 10 great flights with my new P3Adv I crashed into a tree late last week. It "appeared" as though the only issue was a cracked rotor arm, which I have now fixed.

However, I'm now getting an ESC error (sometimes) but it's intermittent and has some strange characteristics. Here is what I've observed:
1) 1 motor seems to be the issue, but it's NOT the motor on the arm that was damaged.
2) Sometimes it will rotate when turned on, sometimes it won't. It usually does not.
3) I cannot tell any difference between any of the motors and how hard they are to turn manually. There are NO physical signs of damage to any of the motors.
4) When I power on the P3, it now beeps like it's updating ... and occasionally when I try to start the motors I'll get a message on my screen that says it's updating ... but not all of the time.
5) I can LITERALLY "feel" the beeps through the "bad" motor, and the motor warms up (the others do not). If I turn the motor by hand it changes the pitch of the beeps. The beeps are a consistent B - B - B - B.
6) When everything is powered up and and I get the signal on my screen that it's safe to fly (GPS) - I start the P3, the 3 other motors start up, and then they immediately shut down. No errors indicated on the screen but the P3 is still doing the constant beep.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Unfortunately, I'm in a remote 3rd world country in Africa and won't have access to parts until Christmas. But I'd really like to diagnose the problem before then so that I can get the right parts. I'm a mechanical engineer and am comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together but I'm not sure where to start. I am thinking of swapping out two of the motors to see what happens - which "might" tell me if it's really an ESC problem (needing a new motherboard) OR if it's just a motor problem. I'm leaning towards a motor problem simply b/c the motor actually will start occasionally. If the ESC was burned up I don't think this would happen - would it?

Any suggestions, comments, things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sorry friend but if it's the ESC for the P3 it's built into the main board. Best bet is to contact DJI and RMA for them to fix. Couple od hundred bucks for that board.

I realize the motherboard will have to be replaced if it's the ESC - but I'd like to determine if that is, in fact, the issue. Wouldn't swapping two of the motors (one being the "bad" motor) tell me if it's the ESC or the motor?

If a known good motor is placed where the "bad" motor currently is ... and it also does not work - wouldn't that tell me it is, indeed, the ESC.

On the other hand, if the known good motor works in the "bad" motor position ... and now the "bad" motor is not working in it's new position - then its the motor.

Does that logic make sense?
It just doesn't seem that the ESC would intermittently work. Seems like it's either blown or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4