Strange Battery Charging Issue

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before - but I have done a fair bit of searching and cannot find this exact problem.

A brand new P3 Standard battery has been charged successfully once will not charge a 2nd time. When put it in the aircraft and turned on the first light glows green for a few seconds and then dies - the battery is flat....I believe.

When I plug in the charger 1) with the battery off, all the lights come on in sequence 1,2,3,4 + the on button is red and then all go blank - this is then repeated every 5 seconds or so. I have left it on charge for a couple of hours to see if it will sort itself out but it is still flat. 2) with the battery turned on - all the lights come on and the 4th flashes for a while then it returns to the same behaviour as 1) above.

Has anyone else experienced this? or is this just a dud battery? The manual does not cover off anything about this sequence of battery lights and after many hours Googling, I am thinking it could be a warranty job. Any help/suggestion would be gratefully received.

Welcome to the Forum!

I have read something really similar.
And I'm confused with your post.

So, what happens if power on the battery like it is in the Phantom?

If it does stay on, have you tried putting on the charger then?

You do have another battery to compare?

Rod

Thank u

and thanksfor responding.....

I can turn the battery on when out of the P3, it will stay on for a few second when I plug it into the charger. The end result is always lights in sequence 1 2 3 4 then blank for 5 sec then repeated. :-(

Thank u

I can turn the battery on when out of the P3, it will stay on for a few second when I plug it into the charger. The end result is always lights in sequence 1 2 3 4 then blank for 5 sec then repeated. :-(

I have a strange issue with one of my P3A batteries (original OEM, not 3rd party) - I tried different sequences: first connect battery, then to power, first to power outlet, then to battery, etc.
Usually, when I connect to charger, it goes dark after first 1234 lights, and it is. When I reconnect, It begins to charging normaly (battery is quite new, 5 charges or so).
I turn batteries off before connecting to charger. The suspicious one turns on by connecting to charger even if the charger isn't connected to power. And then goes blank and stays blank until I reconnect witch charger in power outlet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm not sure if your power on sequence is correct. Push and release then push and hold for 2/3 secs. All lights come on in sequence and then all on green

:)

I meant your P3..........all I do is take the battery out of the P3 and plug the charger into it. After a few secs you should see some of the 4 status leds come on green. They will then flash to indicate charging.....when done the leds will all go out....:)

I always turn on my batteries BEFORE plugging them in to charge. As I understand it, if the the battery is over 90% (not sure about that number), it won't charge the battery. Turning the battery on first forces a complete charge. This is good for those times I've had a battery sitting for just under the time required for auto discharge to start.

But, back to your problem. As the above poster said, make sure you are turning the battery on correctly. Press power, release, press and hold 2 seconds. But this affects the power on only. But if your other batteries are acting normally, I'm guessing you're doing it correctly.

If the battery is not charging using the abov sequence , it's probably a bad one. It happens. Especially if all your other batteries are charging fine.

Contact DJI for replacement.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank u

#1 Do you have another battery to compare?
#2 How long will it stay on not hooked to the charger?
#3 From your first post you didn't say if Phantom powers on or not?

Rod

Last edited:
OK..... many thanks for all your responses - it has given me a few extra tests to do.

At the moment I do not have a spare battery to test - I am in the process of getting one.

1) Turn battery on not connected to Phantom or charger - comes on normally (4 lights, then 1 light) then dies
2) Turn battery on connected to the Phantom - same thing (Battery flat?)

Tests
1) Battery off, plug in the charger. Result stays off for a few seconds then starts its 1234 sequence every 5 seconds
2) Turn Battery on (press once and then press and hold) - it does come on normally with the 5 lights and then does back to 1 light for 2 seconds and then goes blank. Plug battery into charger in those few seconds while its on and all lights come unblinking permanently then the 4th starts to blink. Stay like this for 5 minutes then reverts back to 1) above 1234 sequence every 5 minutes.
3) Plug charger into battery and have charger unplugged from power then plug into power, (i.e taking residual power from transformer) results in the same thing (1234 every 5 seconds).
4) Left it connected to charger over night doing its 1234 sequence - still no charge in battery :(

I have made 2 videos of 1) turning it on 2) connecting the battery see below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43028418/P3S Turning On.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43028418/P3S Connecting Battery.mp4

I am also having an Issue with DJI over warranty for this problem (the battery has only been charged once in its life and its brand new). They are tyring to wash their hands of the issue, stating that because I purchased the drone from a non-approved DJI dealer (Zapals) they are not responsible for the warranty! but that is a whole other thread!

Buy a new battery from a approved dealer, send the current one in for warranty.
But yes, you need another one to test.

This stuff is confusing, if you have the battery hooked to the charger with power, then power the battery on like it was in the Phantom. Same results?
As @MrMedic stated,
I top of my battery this way if I want to try to start with 100% charge.

It seems on the video that your pressing the second time to slow, but it still isn't acting right on the charger.

So what is twisting up my mind.

I have a three battery strip, that I bought for my P2V+, is not a DJI product, its before they sold one.

Depending on the charge of the batteries.
The lower charged batteries will do exactly like your stating, except they will eventually start charging normally.
I need to get some video of this.
If all three our low. Each one will do that sequence but not in the same sequence between each battery.

I don't dare power up one to do the top off procedure the other or others will charge from that one. I remove the others. I almost burned up the battery strip, even though it was powered from cig lighter, the P2 batteries were 12 volt. The vehicle may have been drawing power from it also. :eek:

Rod

Buy a new battery from a approved dealer, send the current one in for warranty.
But yes, you need another one to test.

This stuff is confusing, if you have the battery hooked to the charger with power, then power the battery on like it was in the Phantom. Same results?
As @MrMedic stated,
I top of my battery this way if I want to try to start with 100% charge.

It seems on the video that your pressing the second time to slow, but it still isn't acting right on the charger.

So what is twisting up my mind.

I have a three battery strip, that I bought for my P2V+, is not a DJI product, its before they sold one.

Depending on the charge of the batteries.
The lower charged batteries will do exactly like your stating, except they will eventually start charging normally.
I need to get some video of this.
If all three our low. Each one will do that sequence but not in the same sequence between each battery.

I don't dare power up one to do the top off procedure the other or others will charge from that one. I remove the others. I almost burned up the battery strip, even though it was powered from cig lighter, the P2 batteries were 12 volt. The vehicle may have been drawing power from it also. :eek:

Rod

Thanks Rod... Yes I do need to get a spare battery - in the meantime I am interested to hear that your lowest charged battery gives the same 1234 light sequence but eventually charges...... which may confirm something I have suspected.... my battery may be too discharged to charge normally??

The problem is, no matter how I connect it to the charger, it ALWAYS comes back to the 1234 sequence eventually........ and never charges :(.

I am trying to contact the distributor and get a replacement under their warranty but they are remaining very quiet at the moment !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31