Storm SD-10 limits

Reaction score
Hi... installed the Storm SD-10 on my Phantom 1 today and took a test flight. Nice stable video. I played a little with the NAZA assistant and was wondering if I can program values to allow me to use the Phantom control on the back to go from level to 90 degrees down so as to be able to do fly overs videos. Playing with the pitch numbers got me a few degrees up (toward the props) but couldn't seem to find values to swing the camera parallel to the ground. Any thoughts? Steve

ems_pilot said:
Hi... installed the Storm SD-10 on my Phantom 1 today and took a test flight. Nice stable video. I played a little with the NAZA assistant and was wondering if I can program values to allow me to use the Phantom control on the back to go from level to 90 degrees down so as to be able to do fly overs videos. Playing with the pitch numbers got me a few degrees up (toward the props) but couldn't seem to find values to swing the camera parallel to the ground. Any thoughts? Steve

Are you already controlling tilt with your remote control?

Sorry that I cannot help you much with your question.

On the other hand I've seen this gimbal and it seems interesting. Would you recommend it. Do you have any video example ?

M

I recently purchased a DJI Phantom and have been looking at gimbals. I noticed on the Storm SD-10 description page that it says the following... "Rotation Angle : Both Axis 45 degrees". I was wondering the same thing as you, if I would be able to angle the GoPro straight down, based on this description, I'm assuming the answer is no. But if anybody has more incite, I'd love to hear it!

http://www.helipal.com/storm-sd-10-brus ... antom.html

Update on Phantom 1.1.1 I have attached a link to my Youtube channel... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy29xe- ... 16A/videos

The last two have been with the Storm 10 and with two lipo 2200Mah batteries I consistently get 8-9 minutes flight time. At 8-9 minutes the red light starts flashing and I have not been brave enough to push the envelope and see how much more I could get out of it. Also I don't think running lipo's down too far is a good idea as they tend to overheat and shorten life.

The lever on the Phantom controller works but only a small number of degrees of total travel. I will be playing with the NAZA settings one of these days to see what effect they have on the SD-10. So far it does what it claimed to but I would not mind being able to swing it 90 degrees down to get true overhead shots.

One of my friends back in New York is a professional helicopter pilot (check out www.hoverviews.com) and the Wescam (?) camera mounts can do full 180 degrees which keeps the subject in view as you approach, fly over, and pass by... of course we are talking hundreds of thousand dollars !!

If you would like to follow my video's click on the 'subscribe' button on my Youtube channel.

Steve

Still have not hooked up the iPad ground station as I am not fully at ease with the Phantom yet. But that is the next challenge. Plan more videos later in the year as we travel a bit. Keep the shiny side up as we used to say in EMS :roll:

I have yet to get video using mine SD-10 but I did notice in your second video that there was some jello effect still. I'm curious if it is because of the factory props being not perfectly balanced, or because the rubber damper balls for the gimbal are too soft/hard. I have heard that the factory damper balls are not always adequate. Replacements are cheap and come in a variety of stiffness based on their weight. I may just order a handful of each and see which ones work best.

The only video since putting the gimbal on is the Golf Driving Range vid. All the others were taken with the GoPro mounted directly on the Phantom. Have a great day!

ems_pilot said:
The only video since putting the gimbal on is the Golf Driving Range vid. All the others were taken with the GoPro mounted directly on the Phantom. Have a great day!

Sorry I watched them in the wrong order. The driving range video is great!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj