Storm SD-10 gimbal?

whitepuff said:
Colombus said:
Whitepuff, when you have a change I will be very interested on a demo video. That will help a lot.!!!

Cheers,

M
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4rpAmzocqw&sns=em

Wind was quite gusty -also fooled around with the pitch control. Short vid only but you'll get the idea.

One thing i noticed though is one needs to isolate the top carbonfibre shelf from the electronics, as i accidentally squashed the jellyballs while checking out the gimbal and the electronics rouched top carbon shelf causing sparks ans smoke

Added a layer of thick tape between the electronics ans top shelf to prevent reoccurrence

Thank you Whitepuff for the video. It looks very promising!!! In the meantime that I made my order, the gimbal at helipal went out of stock. They didn't know when it was going to be back on stock, due to the Chinese new year holidays, so I decided to take no risk and I've ordered a Zenmuse. Currently waiting for the gimbal to arrive.

Helipal just sent me the replacement SD-10 Gimbal so it should be back on the website soon. Once I'll get it I expect it to work as nice as in the video shown above from Whitepuff!!

Did a couple of flights again yesterday with the gimbal and works great, i did find however that its best to recalibrate it each time you connect the powercord up, and calibrate it with the phantoms powered up ( motors stationary). Easy to do with reset button....

But as it hasbeen said previously in this threas, gopro placement is very important as weight needs to be distributed correctly,

And don'tforget to insulate the circuitboard from the top carbon fibre mounting plate - the soft rubber mounts squash easily when hold or landing on uneven terain , pushing the electronics onto the carbon, causing fireworks.i am just glad nothing electronic popped when that happened to me...

Hello Again!

So I just received my SD-10 Gimbal replacement... and sadly still doesn't work properly. This time the motors are working fine but it seems that the gimbal just keeps reseting itself...

Have a look at the video below... an idea maybe?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzf9gf ... sp=sharing

I already sent an email to Helipal... waiting for an update.

Have a good day!

That's weird, did you plug it into the F1 port of the NAZA? Ifound mine did funny things when not connected to the naza, seems it needs a signal otherwise the input floats.

Also, mine has bright blue led under the camera tray coming from the gyro sensor circuit on the tray. Yours doesn't look like it has one or is dead? All the cables still in tact going to the gyro under the camera tray?

Tobrouk said:
Hello Again!

So I just received my SD-10 Gimbal replacement... and sadly still doesn't work properly. This time the motors are working fine but it seems that the gimbal just keeps reseting itself...

Have a look at the video below... an idea maybe?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzf9gf ... sp=sharing

I already sent an email to Helipal... waiting for an update.

Have a good day!

Hello Whitepuff!

I guess I'm really out of luck... I will send it back again! No tilt and random reseting...

The gimbal was correctly connected to the F2 port and it seems that the gimbal I got has been updated. Green led on the gyro (blue before) and 5 pin gyro connector so that you can't plug it wrong anymore.

So now last try... but I'm sur that most of you had better luck! Anyway, Helipal is handling the problem nicely.

Have a grest day!

Have mine loaded up as well and everything works correctly but I get no tilt. I followed whitepuff's settings to no avail - going to take it back apart later and make sure I have it connected to F2 properly, but 99.9% sure. *sigh*

Otherwise the gimbal itself seems to work great!

Hi,

I just got my SD-10 and had similar issues as mentioned in this thread: gimbal being little tilted both sideways and on the camera axel. After lots of reset button pushing it seems to stay a little bit more straight but now my challenge is that Phantom got so nose-heavy that it flips over before getting to the air :-( Any idea if there are gain settings etc. that could help here ?

Also I am getting no tilt despite connecting to the F2 port like advised in the (somewhat limited) install instruction in Helipal website. Any clues what to try or am I destined to start working with Helipal to get a replacement ?

Hey jiitee!

Looks like you're in the same bout as Tobrouk and myself. At least with regard to no tilt. :(

I haven't actually even flown mine with it on yet so no comment on the weight. I may give it a go this afternoon, but it's been rather cold out - high for today is 2 degrees F. I checked, rechecked and checked my F2 again and it is definitely the gimbal unfortunately. I sent Helipal an email yesterday and have not heard back as of yet (not surprising since it's the weekend).

If I get any video of the gimbal in the air today I'll post later, not that there isn't enough of that out there already. As I said before the gimbal itself seems to work very well - it's just that there's no tilt and, well - that's 50% of what I want it for.

I know the Tarot is another popular option - besides that and the Xenmuse, is there anything else that has been solid/reliable for a reasonable price (under $200 USD)? Maybe I'll just order 2 or 3 GoodLuckBuy gimbals and cross my fingers. :)

UPDATE:

Found the tilt fix!

So, as it turns out if you get an SD-10 and everything is working correctly but your tilt function is not working it's a rather simple fix. I figured out, through a lot of searching, that the board is BaseCam stabilizer running firmware 2.2b. For whatever reason I cannot upgrade the board (maybe it's a clone) firmware, regardless the profile that was programmed on my unit did not have the pitch control enabled. Simple fix.

So, go grab the 2.2b GUI from here:
http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/

...and then connect your micro USB to the computer and the board (do not connect the main power for the servos).

Once you're connected go into "RC Settings" and under "Source" make sure PWM is selected and for Pitch select "RC_PITCH". Do not select anything in the channel drop down.

Then below for min and max angle of pitch I'm using 0 for min angle and 90 for a max angle. So this is straight level for flight and straight down for bird's eye view. Adjust as you like.

Final thing to do is write the profile to the board using "Write". Done and fixed. :)

If anyone figures out how to upgrade the firmware let me know, I tried everything and couldn't get the board to take a write using AVRDude.

So I'm getting the same thing where my gimbal just does a crazy non stop quick vibration and never levels out any suggestions?

Hello Wheelsee!

Can you post a quick video?

Have a good day!

Fred

Hi again!

Looks like a serious problem. I would contact Helipal.

Cheers

Fred

So from the looks of this thread and lack of reviews elsewhere, I might opt for one of those goodluckbuy gimbals unless you can convince me otherwise!

Hello windexh8er!!

So finally after having sent back 2 SD-10 Gimbal, the third one is working beautifully! The only thing is that I had to enable tilt manually too!

Thanks so much for your advice windexh8er! Tilt is now working perfectly! And the fact that you can get 90 degrees down is sweet!!

One little thing you didn't mentioned is that you need to install a driver to add a new COM port to allow the PC to communicate with the board. Instructions about that are on page 2 of the Firmware 2.2b2 User manual!

Again thanks!

Have a good one!

Cheers
Fred

After downloading the driver I was finally able to use the COM port in the GUI interface. Unfortunately this gimbal has the 2.0 software which sucks apparently. I tried changing the pitch control and re-writing it to the board but it didn't work. Also, I'm pretty sure the board is fried, it won't calibrate, the motors seize into one position as soon as I plug the main power in, and the gyroscope on screen just spins, it has no idea which direction it's facing.

I'm taking the gimbal off and just going to enjoy flying this thing for the time being. I will take it up with heli-pal about a new one, I'm sure it will be 6-8 weeks for it gets here anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20