Storm SD-10 gimbal?

Reaction score
Did some searching on the web as well as this forum and can't seem to find much information on this Gimbal, perhaps it is new to the market?

http://www.helipal.com/storm-sd-10-brushless-motor-gimbal-for-dji-phantom.html

I'm looking to purchase a gimbal in the next few days but can't seem to make up my mind on which one! Of course I'm looking for the essentials; durability, reliability, ease of install, stability, etc... I'm fairly new to aerial photography and I just got my Phantom delivered yesterday. While looking at gimbals, all I read about and see is the Zenmuse from DJI, but like any skeptic I figured there were alternatives for a better price.

I've done some research on other gimbals and it seems as though most are pretty comparable using similar software and servos, and like others I can't justify the cost of the Zenmuse when products such as the Airy, the Tarot, and this SD-10 (which seems like a lighter, refined version of the airy) are cheaper alternatives with similar quality images.

Here's what I've learned so far:

The Zenmuse sounds like a nightmare to install, not to mention the extra equipment needed. While certainly the most aesthetically pleasing, it is also the heaviest of all gimbals I'm interested in at a staggering 230g+. The Tarot is not originally designed for the Phantom and will require an adapter plate, and extension of the landing gears, adding unnecessary weight, and making it look goofy. The Airy, designed for the phantom is a quality product with easy installation but has some messy wiring and weighs in at 209g. The SD-10 with carbon fiber anti-jello plates is just 197g installed, and offers all the amenities that I need in a gimbal (listed above). It has clean wiring as well as a reset button which helps for easy re-calibration if needed. This Gimbal is also a plug-and-play with no modification needed.

I'm all about weight reduction and squeezing every ounce of performance out of this thing that I can, especially when it comes to flight time, so I have already purchased carbon fiber blades, and will be purchasing carbon fiber landing gears soon, future plans include FPV and upgraded motors.

I was hoping maybe someone else might know a little bit about the Storm SD-10 gimbal as I would like to purchase one in the next few days. Also, what are some key things I should know about other gimbals, I would assume there is a reason the Zenmuse is nearly twice the cost, besides being name-brand.

Thoughts??

Ksc said:
this looks like the goodluckbuy gimbal I just bought for $79

+1

Ton4 said:
I also bought 75 usd gimbal, don't have it yet, even my phantom has still to arrive, but I already know that a 2 axis gimbal will have the "yaw jitter" in many shots.

So, a 3 axis gimbal, like this maybe:

http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm3000- ... imbal.html

Will probably my next buy.

Sent from my SM-T311 using Tapatalk

Arris CM3000 will likely be my next gimbal as well, unless a different 3-axis comes out before that time comes. I went ahead and purchased the Storm SD-10. Not a bad price, not sure how it compares to those goodluckbuy gimbals, but I figured I could be the firs to use it and post up a review. Also bought the DJI pitch lever and something else, I honestly don't remember what it was, I'd have to look at the order haha!

Dave Pitman said:
Northboundndown said:
Also bought the DJI pitch lever...

V1.1.1 should come the a tx that already has the pitch lever installed?

Yes

This is the same board (same firmware?) with different frame and motors as the goodluckbuy- you can clearly see the blue board in the pics. Maybe the motors are better, and it is carbon fiber versus cnc machined... which may translate to less weight- and lastly- it is slightly shorter- meaning more clearance at the landing gear- but I think we are talking millimeters difference here.

Hiway said:
This is the same board (same firmware?) with different frame and motors as the goodluckbuy- you can clearly see the blue board in the pics. Maybe the motors are better, and it is carbon fiber versus cnc machined... which may translate to less weight- and lastly- it is slightly shorter- meaning more clearance at the landing gear- but I think we are talking millimeters difference here.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Weight was the most important thing to me. I think it was quite a bit lighter if I remember correctly. Not sure about the motors.

Beware!

I bought an almost indentical looking Gimbal from Helipal about six weeks ago. Advertised 100% tuned for DJI Phantom.

It does not fit the Phantom and also came incomplete. I have lost track of how many emails I have enchanged with them and still do not have the correct Gimbal. Lots of "please drill extra holes and it will work just fine" type emails but very little in a positive response to supplying the goods as advertised.

Further to my last post….

Today I receievd a replacement Gimbal from Helipal to replace the one they sent that did not fit the Phantom.

It is very different from the original and branded 'STORM'.

When the cut outs and screw points in the base plate coincided with the Phantom I thought the problem was at last solved. Alas, NO!
When the gimbal is powered up it settles about 15 degrees off the horizontal and the rubber mountings are so soft that just touching the phantom will send a shimmy down to the camera.
One quick flight confirmed this device is not fit for purpose - I have had smother video from the rigid DJI mount supplied with the Phantom!

That's really weird. Mine is not here yet, should arrive on Monday or Tuesday it looks like. Crossing my fingers for no issues, but I guess if there is, I will probably turn around and sell it to someone else who wants to deal with it. :lol:

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat at the moment and I am ready to get a gimbal with my phantom v1.1.1 on the way. Any feedback on your experience thus far with Storm SD 10 Northbounddown?

Thanks

Any additional information on this issue. I am also considering purchasing one of these gimbals.

I everyone! I received my gimbal Storm Sd-10 yesterday and it looks fine so far. Initialization is made within 5 seconds after power up. The tilt works with the V1.1.1 lever on the Phantom transmitter. I'll do a flight test next Sunday.

Hi, I'd be very interested in your review, could you post it soon? I'm leaving for a Cape town trip end of Jan and would like to have it before the trip. Looks to me to be the best "China Gimbal" option at the moment and I'm hesitating about getting the Zenmuse for its steep price and probably not better quality than SD-10

Got mine in the mail last week, but it's been -30 degrees here until today so I've only had the motivation to install the mounting plate thus far.

Here it is un-boxed, I have to say, the build quality is amazing! Feels good in the hands.

I will likely upgrade the rubber dampers to stiffer ones though, these seem a little soft.

Hi! I used it yesterday (4 flight tests). The gimbal weight 275g with GoPro Hero 3 on it. The build quality and finish is great.

I'll upload a quick video asap. Can't wait for your feedbacks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl