Storm FPV?

You'uns have some fine timing- I just received my "Deluxe" kit in the mail yesterday. Here are my initial, first 24 hour opinions on the entire process, including Helipal as a vendor:

1. Wicked fast order processing and shipping... brutally fast. (note- you must be at home to sign for package, but DHL offers a couple of options in case that is a hassle) Also- the contact throughout is amazing- I was notified of every step of the delivery process- without needing to prompt them (and no, I don't get no feckin commission)

2. Packed very well- easy to identify all parts.

3. I literally spent 10 minutes hooking everything up, and getting a picture on the monitor- it was that easy. *because I ordered the jst to balance plug adapter that will connect the vtx to a lipo on my v1.1.1- if you have a P2, you will need to tap the aux power wire.

4. Using the stock antennas, I set the vtx on a wooden table upstairs, and took the monitor with stock antennas (which had enough charge in it to test for an hour) downstairs and outside, and throughout the entire lower portion of my house. I had the picture drop in and out a little... and I stress a little- never lost the picture or felt as if I couldn't have flown using it as a guide, but here is the thing; my house was built in the 1850's (I know you folks in the old country chuckle at my youngster, but around here, that is old, dig?) and the floors and the walls are thick... layers of plaster and underneath is log and chink, so it is worse case scenario especially when I carried 2 cell phones, had another micro quad on, and the Phantom (not flying- just idle) and another 2.4 quad (RCLogger Eye Xtreme) the house router and several wireless laptops, and a gopro in an adjacent room with the wifi connected (not the one using the vtx) as well as no less than 4 other home networks in the immediate area.

The signal improved and locked in and rocked in once I walked outside. I have no doubt once I mount the vtx on the Phantom, and have the Rx outside, there will be no issues. **** rig is nice. Picture is clear and bright, and I have cataract in my right eye, so I am overly critical on monitors.

I have one complaint though- I tried- gently mind you, to remove the antenna on the vtx and it doesn't seem to budge- I sense it will spin the coaxial connector inside and I will not force it, which means the clover leaf upgrades I have will not work. Maybe I am just using kid gloves, but I am not going to break this- it works too well as it stands.

I will be mounting the monitor today on the stock Rx- to see how it fits and feels- I will be upgrading to a Futaba Rx and Tx eventually, but this is it for now.

Sorry- no pics, but the helipal website has that pretty well covered.

Don't forget the jst to lipo balance plug if your flying older than P2! Major hassle savings- I am waiting on a custom vtx mount, and will be able to put the fpv on or take it off in seconds depending on how I want to fly, which is how I wanted- even if you want a clean bird with all wires inside, this rig is pretty **** nice and has that ability easy enough.

FASTFJR said:
Someone must be using / have a review on this

I like the looks of the easy or deluxe……..http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... -easy.html

Strange, the Deluxe has a picture of a battery powering the monitor but scroll down it says the monitor has a built in rechargeable battery……..weird

http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... eluxe.html

The monitor has a jst to 12v adapter plug- there is a wall charger with jst plug for charging the internal battery- but you could connect another battery I imagine in the field- I am unsure about that. I believe the internal battery will last about 2 hours.

I ordered from Helipal as well. I have the Storm Deluxe kit which I ordered along with the P2 at the same time. Installed and working with no issues. I get a little static here and there when flying out of line of site or when it gets to about 1000ft away.

As Hiway said, helipal shipping was FAST. The experience so far has been good, despite the "engrish" which I find kind of charming. They send you updates through email and you can get more detailed if you want (text messaging).

I'm also a noob and only have 4 flights under my belt. The documentation says that the monitor is good for about 2 hours on a full charge.

I got the controller mount as well from them: http://www.helipal.com/fpv-monitor-moun ... itter.html which works great. Only complaint is that it's a little hard to tighten down the main screw that goes into the tripod mount on the lcd. I use the screwdriver that came with the P2 to give it a little extra, to make sure it's tight.

Thanks for the reviews. I read in another thread that the range is about 900ft, so that is similar to the 1000ft you are getting. Don't have my P2 yet, but I'm assuming I will want more range than that at some point. Hopefully antenna upgrades will do the trick.

I am also very interested in the package. But because of some tax law in my country. I am looking at the 'easy' setup... Anyone know how much of a big difference is it from the deluxe? The only diff i can see is the monitor.....

I got the "easy"it. Perfect. Extremely plug and play. Hong Kong customs "repacked" the system and damaged the monitor. But it works fine. Good deal for all the eauipment. I got the upgraded "mushroom" antennas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1