Storing Phantom 3 Advanced Batteries for months at a time

Reaction score
Hello!

I will be attending American University in Washington, DC this fall. I love DC, except for the fact that no drones are allowed. Therefore, I will be leaving my P3A at home. I have two batteries for it.

Is it okay to have the batteries discharge through the software and then leave them for months at a time until I come home and fly it at breaks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas? If they need to be turned on once in a while or plugged into the aircraft, I could have someone at home do that for me.

It's okay to store them for months, but you don't want them to drop below 30% charged. It would be a good idea to check them after 2 months and charge them back up (until at least the 3rd light is blinking) if the second light is not illuminated.

It's okay to store them for months, but you don't want them to drop below 30% charged. It would be a good idea to check them after 2 months and charge them back up (until at least the 3rd light is blinking) if the second light is not illuminated.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Is it ok to leave them on 30% for long period ? I mean near Low Battery alarm ? I have 3 of them on 1 solid LED, should I charge them to 2 LEDs and then leave them stored ?

Is it ok to leave them on 30% for long period ?
Yes. Keep in mind they will slowly discharge even further over time though.

I have 3 of them on 1 solid LED, should I charge them to 2 LEDs and then leave them stored ?
Charge them until the 3rd light starts blinking.

Reactions: Karanba
Ok, thanks, will do that tommorow. Does it count that like 1 charge then ?

Are you asking if that increments the battery "Times Charged" count? If so, that number is only incremented when the battery is charged 100%. Since the battery never goes down to 0%, it'll take at least two charges to increment that count.

Reactions: Karanba
Yes, just asking to know if it will get a lot of total charges only by charging them to store level every time. So it adds percentages to 100% and then counts 1 charge. Thanks for clarification.

Hello!

I will be attending American University in Washington, DC this fall. I love DC, except for the fact that no drones are allowed. Therefore, I will be leaving my P3A at home. I have two batteries for it.

Is it okay to have the batteries discharge through the software and then leave them for months at a time until I come home and fly it at breaks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas? If they need to be turned on once in a while or plugged into the aircraft, I could have someone at home do that for me.

30% is OK, but I prefer to leave them at the optimal level of 50%. Not only is it best for the battery, if you forget to check them it provides a little more room before they are discharged too low (3v per cell) and likely ruined.

I realize you can't fly in DC proper, but it's only a 60 minute drive west and your in the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Shenandoah river. Some gorgeous scenery in that area!!

30% is OK, but I prefer to leave them at the optimal level of 50%. Not only is it best for the battery, if you forget to check them it provides a little more room before they are discharged too low (3v per cell) and likely ruined.

I realize you can't fly in DC proper, but it's only a 60 minute drive west and your in the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Shenandoah river. Some gorgeous scenery in that area!!
Oh that is true! I'll look into that, but it is far away for a college kid. Not many students in DC have a car: it's needed and not too useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl