Storing charged lipos...bad?

Reaction score
Is it true that Lipos should not be charged if not used same day? I got 4 fully charged and won`t use them all at once. I read about Lipos catching fire, saw videos on YouTube. Now I`ll order a custom container to store/transport/charge them well away from certain home and office areas.

its ideal to store Lipo's in a state of being half-charged whenever possible, it'll extend their longevity.

But it's not terrible to leave them fully charged for some days, or even a week.
nor are they really likely to spontaneously catch fire if left fully charged.

It's always good to keep them in a safe place while charging.

But the only thing to really avoid would be subjecting them to physical damage or heat.

In all the time I've been following these threads, the only accident I've heard of was when someone left fully charged lipo's in the back of a hot van and a fire erupted.

otherwise it's just guys intentionally destroying their batteries by hammering a nail into them or dropping in a bucket of water.

As Gizmo3000 said BUT store the batteries with a storage charge and store them in a Lipo bag or fireproof container

porl_hopkins said:
As Gizmo3000 said BUT store the batteries with a storage charge and store them in a Lipo bag or fireproof container
what is a storage charge? and can the stock phantom charger do this?

My charger gets them to 11.4v when I set them to storage but I only do this with batteries I wont be flying for a while. If I plan to fly again in the next few days I keep a few batteries charged.

I heard the best place to charge and store fully charged Lipo batteries is at the mother in laws, I cant argue with that logic. :lol:

simonthk said:
porl_hopkins said:
what is a storage charge? and can the stock phantom charger do this?
No mate the stock charger does not store them :!:

I store my LiPos fully charged. I've never had an issue with them, even back when I was flying helis and the technology was quite new.

Personally, I think all the fear and OMG LiPos will explode and kill your family is crap. As long as you don't over charge them, or let them discharge too far they are fine. Just keep them in the garage or in a shed or something.

This is all good information but the one thing that hasn't been brought up is the importance of balancing the cells of a lithium polymer battery. Even if a balancing charger is used it's real important to keep these batteries with even voltages in the cells. Bringing the cells to equal voltage is called balancing and a separate balancer should be used after flying once the battery has had a chance to cool and settle. Then, it's a good idea to balance them again after charging.

A number of different companies make balancers like Thunder Power, Common Sense and Astro Flight. They usually go for $30 to $40.

Subjecting a poorly balanced pack to charging is the leading cause of them catching fire.

rilot said:
I store my LiPos fully charged. I've never had an issue with them, even back when I was flying helis and the technology was quite new.

Personally, I think all the fear and OMG LiPos will explode and kill your family is crap. As long as you don't over charge them, or let them discharge too far they are fine. Just keep them in the garage or in a shed or something.

Hi Rilot. I have been using Lipos since they first came out. Keeping them fully charged isn't dangerous BUT definately shortens the life span on them :?

porl_hopkins said:
Hi Rilot. I have been using Lipos since they first came out. Keeping them fully charged isn't dangerous BUT definately shortens the life span on them :?

This is true but I replace my batteries after 100 flights anyway so it's never really a problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4