Stopping the motors

Reaction score
Haven't flown in a while but I remember being able to pull the sticks down and in to stop the motors. If I do that now the P3 goes out of control and just flips over.

I have to just pull the left stick down for a few seconds to get the motors to stop.

Shouldn't I be able to use both sticks down and in to stop the motors?

Thanks

Last edited:
After you land, you should hold the left stick down until the motors shut off. A CSC (both sticks down and to the center) should only be done in the air in the case of an emergency. If you do a CSC on the ground, your Phantom might tip over (as you found out).

Reactions: Arvidj
i just pull the left stick down to stop. use both to start. why do you need to stop the motors with both sticks?

i just pull the left stick down to stop. use both to start. why do you need to stop the motors with both sticks?
Check mikes post above explaining both sticks CSC

Reactions: Arvidj
Thanks for the fast replies. Pulling the lst stick down is fine with me. I have no reason to use the CSC but I thought I use to be able to do it. Maybe that was with the FC40.

Thanks for the fast replies. Pulling the lst stick down is fine with me. I have no reason to use the CSC but I thought I use to be able to do it. Maybe that was with the FC40.
Yes different-- I use two sticks on the QAV 500

When on the ground and you move the sticks to CSC, you are starting with a turn of the Phantom before you get to the CSC position. The P3 is very responsive so this turn/move is more predominant. It can certainly be done but it needs to be quick and exact. No reason not to just hold the decent stick down.

I've always been confused about this. How come we can't just have a button somewhere that immediately kills the motors? Do something so you can't hit it accidentally, just give me a way where I can kill the motors immediately. In an emergency scenario, who wants to worry about the split second where the motors are responding to you moving the sticks into the CSC position? Seems kind of silly.

I've always been confused about this. How come we can't just have a button somewhere that immediately kills the motors? Do something so you can't hit it accidentally, just give me a way where I can kill the motors immediately. In an emergency scenario, who wants to worry about the split second where the motors are responding to you moving the sticks into the CSC position? Seems kind of silly.

When you're in the air and accidently hit that button to kill the motors, you'll be here complaining about how such a stupid idea crashed your bird.

And you got an answer, didn't you Mr ThinSkin?
It wasn't really an answer, since it was pretty nonconstructive, and kind of rude.

However, yes, there was a crash which led to the question, I handed the controller to a friend who may as well have been trying to enter the Konami code into the controller, and just happened to put the sticks into CSC and crash it while I was trying to tell him to take it easy. I am not about to blame it on DJI. It was my fault for handing him the controller without giving him a full run through of the controls. But it did get me thinking about ways it could be done better. Anyway. This wouldn't be any old button sitting in the open. What I was trying to suggest was some kinda scary button like this on the side of the P3 controller:

launch-button-250.jpg

Since, generally, we start as beginners in the app and use the "take off" function of DJI Go to take off. Then we get comfortable enough to use CSC to start the motors. Eventually we learn the CSC stops the motors as well, but it causes tipping when the aircraft is upright so that part of it is really only useful in emergencies. This way, it'd be a one touch method of starting and stopping the motors but you'd have to open the cover to use it, so experienced pilots know to quickly pop it open and use it in emergencies. Perhaps the braver (or dumber, either or) of us fly with it open, knowing full well what it does. So the question I'm trying to say is, what if we could have something like this rather than the CSC, or maybe as an alternative to the CSC?

Reactions: Luckie Gordon
From my point of view, being able to turn off the motors with the left stick only makes it easier to hand catch with my right hand and turn off the motors with my left hand, a big improvement versus the two stick nuance. The P3 is just fine as is.

From my point of view, being able to turn off the motors with the left stick only makes it easier to hand catch with my right hand and turn off the motors with my left hand, a big improvement versus the two stick nuance. The P3 is just fine as is.
Absolutely agree - in fact I can't remember when I didn't catch it, and I have been flying various phantoms for over a year.I don't think I have ever done it since one of my 2v+ got blown over a couple of times on landing in a stiff wind. They were the only props I have had to replace because of the nicks on the tips affecting the prop efficiency & sound so much, even after smoothing & balancing. Also, My Border collie [Katy] is totally nuts about anything with propellors, and I don't want to risk her getting hurt by it. It's a good job there is no recorded sound on these!

Last edited:
Don't be like that! This is a discussion, not a witch hunt. No harm or shame in being wrong. Experience is recognising a mistake when you make it for the second time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers