Stopped by the local airport the other day

Reaction score
I am within about 3 NM of a small airport, no control tower. I stopped in to introduce myself and chat for a few minutes with the guys and gals there, they were all really friendly and helpful. We talked about notifying airports, what the rules are, etc.

They, like a lot of us, were not 100% sure about every single rule and situation but said that a few other guys had also stopped in and what others were doing was to send a quick email letting them know where/when they would be flying.

It was a positive experience although I was a little hesitant at first, thinking I might get an earful about how awful these things are but it was nothing like that. I sent a quick email to them this morning letting them know I'd be flying and got a 'Thank you for letting us know' email.

So there you have it, reaching out and being friendly can make everyone a little more at ease.

Reactions: microraptor
I've had the same experience notifying my local non-towered airport as well, also notifying Care Flight at hospitals has been the same, they are glad to know when and where you are flying.

Reactions: microraptor
You're lucky. My local ATC won't issue permission to fly at all, even under 50 feet. I'd like to inspect roofs, but they are playing god with the airspace.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You're lucky. My local ATC won't issue permission to fly at all, even under 50 feet. I'd like to inspect roofs, but they are playing god with the airspace.

You may be doing it wrong.

You mentioned inspecting buildings. Are you 107 licensed?

You may be doing it wrong.

You mentioned inspecting buildings. Are you 107 licensed?
Thanks. I'm not licensed yet. I was calling around to get an understanding, before I get the license. I asked if the 107 license would help me out and was told it would not. I still wouldn't be able to fly( with permission) in the warning zone.

I think a bit more research is needed on your part.
Calling an airport tower or contacting an airport operator to investigate such is not the proper way
There are ways to obtain waivers once licensed so don't give up just do some more research on the process for obtaining the required training and licenses.

Reactions: aermale
I'm planning on taking remotepilot101 very soon. I imagine this will clarify alot for me. Calling the ATC really put me off track. I thought, why get a certificate I can't use, if the ATC will simply deny it? You're absolutely right, though. I need to get the knowledge directly from the source. Thanks again

I think a bit more research is needed on your part.
Calling an airport tower or contacting an airport operator to investigate such is not the proper way
There are ways to obtain waivers once licensed so don't give up just do some more research on the process for obtaining the required training and licenses.
Agree. IF you are planning to inspect roofs, that is going to require a Part 107 certificate. And getting authorization to fly in controlled airspace requires going through the FAA webpage to submit the request. ATC has been specifically told not to 'authorize such done flights. If its just hobby flying, you just go back to calling the airport or tower of any airport within 5 miles of your location and 'notify them of your intentions. You mentioned a 'warning zone', what type of airspace are you trying to fly in ? and yes, having the Part 107 can help depending on where you are flying and what your intentions are.

Agree. IF you are planning to inspect roofs, that is going to require a Part 107 certificate. And getting authorization to fly in controlled airspace requires going through the FAA webpage to submit the request. ATC has been specifically told not to 'authorize such done flights. If its just hobby flying, you just go back to calling the airport or tower of any airport within 5 miles of your location and 'notify them of your intentions. You mentioned a 'warning zone', what type of airspace are you trying to fly in ? and yes, having the Part 107 can help depending on where you are flying and what your intentions are.

Yep, when I email them to let them know I'm flying, I am informing them I am going to fly, not asking if I can fly. This is for hobby flying though, not 107.

Where does it state you email for hobby notification?
You are to call IIRC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4