STOP TIPPING OVER!!!

Reaction score
I am working on a design for a set of landing skid extensions. They must remain out of the camera frame, work on thick grass, and gentle inclines, be resilient, and have a nice appearance. What other qualities should be factored into the design?

Attachments

• spider legs on blk2s.jpg
    spider legs on blk2s.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 886
Getting it to fit in a case is a tough one. I have been trying different designs, but it either weakens it too much or impinges on the camera's FOV. Quick attach is a good idea though. I'll work on that.

Keeping it in the shadow of the Phantom's arms helps minimize the prop wash striking it.
I need to add some attachment points to make it easy on-off.

Attachments

• spiderlegs 22s.jpg
    spiderlegs 22s.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 789
fastsmiles said:
Getting it to fit in a case is a tough one. I have been trying different designs, but it either weakens it too much or impinges on the camera's FOV. Quick attach is a good idea though. I'll work on that.

Velcro straps, or snap over the bottom of the landing gear?

Here are my current modifications to the original guard. One shows a rear extension that slides in and out to allow for prevention of rear tip over and also added gimbal protection. The other picture shows the rear extension slid in to allow it to placed in the case. I usually try to land on either a flat surface or a slight incline to take advantage of the rear protection feature.

Attachments

• back protection out.jpg
    back protection out.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 736
  • back protection in.jpg
    back protection in.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 686
The prototypes are made from high impact acrylic and are holding up well. I can make them from this material and they should give good service and be less expensive.

Attachments

• spiderlegs 23.jpg
    spiderlegs 23.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 293
How come no one is working on something to extend and widen the landing skids at where it bolts on? Wouldn't that be better for air resistance?

Onezerosix141 said:
How come no one is working on something to extend and widen the landing skids at where it bolts on? Wouldn't that be better for air resistance?

There are "wide" landing gear available. They are wider and taller, and replace the factory gear. If you have a case the bird will no longer fit though.

I like the plexiglas idea, but somehow making it Removeable or adjustable for a case should somehow be doable.

Onezerosix141 said:
I'm working on a design with that very idea, but it becomes a complex problem very quickly with all the angles and curves involved. I should have a prototype out soon though. But the complexity translates into cost.

Is there a reason you just don't hand catch at all times( I don't, only on windy landings)? just a question. like...... is it frowned upon at the local RC field or something(handcatch)? Doesn't a $5 yoga mat in the trunk protect from grass. I have tip mine once from trying to turn off the propellers the wrong way. but other than that, can you help me understand the need (genuine question here..... sell me).

The question of handcatching has been well discussed. I personnally handcatch a majority of the time, but there are times I want to video landings or prefer landing. Also, many people are not comfortable handcatching. There are also times when carrying a landing pad is not practical, such as bacpacking or trail riding to a location. The demand is there, but it is not for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic