Stop picking on the new guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was flying my bird at my ex's son's house, out in the woods. Well, houses are a good 200-300ft apart down here in Arkansas, it seems. And trees everywhere. I was landing, and didn't notice that his wife's parents had arrived. As I packed it up and headed over, I introduced myself to them. Some folks you can just know right away that they're grouchy old farts. He was flapping his gums about seeing a drone in the hood (they live 3 houses down), and I sensed it immediately that he wasn't to happy about it. Over a cookout supper of burgers, I tried to strike up a conversation with him. I told him how I'm a photography buff, and how this thing opens a whole new avenue of angles to shoot from. First thing out of his mouth......................... "wait til one of them brings down an airplane." Oh. My. God. I started telling him about the FAA recommendations I follow, all of the preflight checks, safe operating practices, etc., etc. I was really nice about it, too. But I could tell he was just another uninformed person with a negative view of them. So I dropped it. I couldn't resist saying to him, as we were leaving, "It was nice to meet you, Robert. If you see or hear a drone flying in the neighborhood, you'll know who it is!" The look on his face was priceless.

Oh, wait.........................................

There seems to be quite a mix of opinions on Drones/quad-copters/UAVs/spy chopper(as one person has told me). I have found in my short week owning one that people either think it's the most amazing thing they have ever seen, or a satanic piece of equipment designed to destroy the world as we know it. But generally the impression I get is a positive one especially when you show them the amazing video and photos it can take. Being a pilot I have taken some great photos from 1,500' and above, but the phantom can get angles and shots that someone in an airplane or even a helicopter for that matter just can't get. These things are nothing short of amazing, and when used responsibly and respectfully the nay-sayers will all but vanish.

Reactions: snerd and IflyinWY
It's hard to "clarify" what isn't there, I'm confused with your reply/quote, no mention was made about anyone apart from encouraging Dirk to use his blank stare more to peoples rudeness.

This one has me beat. I normally wouldn't respond to an individual post like this but you seem to want clarification of something that more likely required comprehension, hope that helped.

Sorry I was unclear and hope that fixed it up a bit and I also hope that didn't sound not nice.
:) (a happy smile)

Cool,

Guess I just read it wrong. Thanks for clarifying.
clapping.gif

Hey All - this thread got me thinking about how to help out the new guys (including myself) so here's a new thread I started that i'd love to hear feedback on... Basically my thought is create a very comprehensive video series for all of the new people that covers almost everything. Check out the thread and let me know what you think.

There seems to be quite a mix of opinions on Drones/quad-copters/UAVs/spy chopper(as one person has told me). I have found in my short week owning one that people either think it's the most amazing thing they have ever seen, or a satanic piece of equipment designed to destroy the world as we know it. But generally the impression I get is a positive one especially when you show them the amazing video and photos it can take. Being a pilot I have taken some great photos from 1,500' and above, but the phantom can get angles and shots that someone in an airplane or even a helicopter for that matter just can't get. These things are nothing short of amazing, and when used responsibly and respectfully the nay-sayers will all but vanish.
Sorry, it really is a satanic piece of equipment. Watch the vid for proof!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry, it really is a satanic piece of equipment. Watch the vid for proof!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
blank stare.png
is OT o_O
:D

Hey All - this thread got me thinking about how to help out the new guys (including myself) so here's a new thread I started that i'd love to hear feedback on... Basically my thought is create a very comprehensive video series for all of the new people that covers almost everything. Check out the thread and let me know what you think.

Good thought.

Use the search link in my signature and I bet you can find most of what you are looking for.
Some of us are working on putting together stickies on the most popular questions/problems.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey TJ, can't you and Dirk see that this is serious stuff...
Ya Got Em Good.gif

Hey, I think I finally figured out why I had to wait so long to get my P3A. It's a clever ploy on the part of DJI to give us time to lurk in the forums...which is exactly what I did for a month. I wasn't even a noob yet cause I didn't have anything to fly. I crawled through over a hundred pages of forum discussion topics on here, and more on the DJI forum. It truly is a gold mine, but like any mine, there's a lot of coarse rock there too. But it was time well spent to give me a heads up on common problems, and different ways to avoid or circumvent them so I could be prepared when I finally got my P3. There were also tips to get the most out of your Phantom, from homemade sunshades to various solutions to the UV filter problem. To those who were on the frontlines and had their birds early, thanks for all the tips you left here in the forum.
So, with that said, I have two suggestions...
1. If you're a total newcomer to the P3 and this forum, take some time and just scroll through the pages here. Don't even look for anything specific. If something catches your interest read the posts. Then move on. You'll notice two things. There's a lot of really good information here. And there's a lot of really good information here that keeps getting repeated, and repeated, and repeated, and repeated...

2. So, when you finally do get up the nerve to actually post here (and it took me a month before I did), and you come across a new post asking (for instance) what the best tablet is to use with a P3, welcome them to the neighborhood, and post a link to one of the many spirited threads on that subject in this forum. It'll be a shorter post, and the OP will get more info than you could provide on your own. (perhaps TOO much info.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dalebb
Just keep ragging on the newbies till they don't post anymore cause the Rat Pack will just jump on them and tell them how stupid they are.

Well said. Not to mention the self-appointed do-gooders who are obsessed with providing uninvited warnings about everything from FAA police to the imminent extinction of mankind from a Phantom accident.

Hey, I think I finally figured out why I had to wait so long to get my P3A. It's a clever ploy on the part of DJI to give us time to lurk in the forums...which is exactly what I did for a month. I wasn't even a noob yet cause I didn't have anything to fly. I crawled through over a hundred pages of forum discussion topics on here, and more on the DJI forum. It truly is a gold mine, but like any mine, there's a lot of coarse rock there too. But it was time well spent to give me a heads up on common problems, and different ways to avoid or circumvent them so I could be prepared when I finally got my P3. There were also tips to get the most out of your Phantom, from homemade sunshades to various solutions to the UV filter problem. To those who were on the frontlines and had their birds early, thanks for all the tips you left here in the forum.
So, with that said, I have two suggestions...
1. If you're a total newcomer to the P3 and this forum, take some time and just scroll through the pages here. Don't even look for anything specific. If something catches your interest read the posts. Then move on. You'll notice two things. There's a lot of really good information here. And there's a lot of really good information here that keeps getting repeated, and repeated, and repeated, and repeated...

2. So, when you finally do get up the nerve to actually post here (and it took me a month before I did), and you come across a new post asking (for instance) what the best tablet is to use with a P3, welcome them to the neighborhood, and post a link to one of the many spirited threads on that subject in this forum. It'll be a shorter post, and the OP will get more info that you could provide on your own. (perhaps TOO much info.)

I really like this post. I think it's the best one so far.

As far as #2 goes, how's this? I guess it could have had a smiley in it.

Hello Jimmy, welcome to the party.

Click this link and start scrolling down, and scroll through the next page and the next and you will find some threads on the subject. We would just rehash the same stuff explaining it to you.

http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/phantom-fc40-discussion.20/

There is a search link in my signature which is very good.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi
Proud owner of a P1 & the FC40 with 9450 props, mountain & high altitude flying. I love this show, what a crazy planet we live on
http://www.wynotweb.com/Advanced_IMU_Calibration.html
#2 IflyinWY, Today at 2:11 PM

What really sucks is when you get this kind of reply. It could be sarcastic or genuine.

Thank you so much!!

Who's Jimmy :confused:
I really like this post. I think it's the best one so far.

As far as #2 goes, how's this? I guess it could have had a smiley in it.

Hello Jimmy, welcome to the party.

Click this link and start scrolling down, and scroll through the next page and the next and you will find some threads on the subject. We would just rehash the same stuff explaining it to you.

http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/phantom-fc40-discussion.20/

There is a search link in my signature which is very good.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi
Proud owner of a P1 & the FC40 with 9450 props, mountain & high altitude flying. I love this show, what a crazy planet we live on
http://www.wynotweb.com/Advanced_IMU_Calibration.html
#2 IflyinWY, Today at 2:11 PM
Who's Jimmy :confused:

So, to the OP
We may not be able to walk on water but if there's a fire, we got a way to put it out.
Sometimes just reminding someone to be polite is enough. Sometimes the thread has the opportunity to become humorous, the problem is, it's usually at the OP's expense. But hey, if we can't laugh at what we and these crazy flying machines can do, then you just can't see life through my eyes. :cool:
Sometimes you may get replies from arrogant members, oh well, life sucks sometimes.
If it's that bad, hit the REPORT button and put a Mod to work. :)
Thanks for your post.

And to all those new guys that I've seen in this thread, I offer you my welcome, and say TIAFF...
This is a friendly forum... now go read the stinking manual. :D

Look in my signature for a good search link and follow the instructions telling you how to use it. :p

So, to the OP
We may not be able to walk on water but if there's a fire, we got a way to put it out.
Sometimes just reminding someone to be polite is enough. Sometimes the thread has the opportunity to become humorous, the problem is, it's usually at the OP's expense. But hey, if we can't laugh at what we and these crazy flying machines can do, then you just can't see life through my eyes. :cool:
Sometimes you may get replies from arrogant members, oh well, life sucks sometimes.
If it's that bad, hit the REPORT button and put a Mod to work. :)
Thanks for your post.

And to all those new guys that I've seen in this thread, I offer you my welcome, and say TIAFF...
This is a friendly forum... now go read the stinking manual. :D

Look in my signature for a good search link and follow the instructions telling you how to use it. :p
Ya left one out from Capt Dirk !
1361469896_jack_nicholson_deal_with_it.gif
just kidding.jpg
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member