Stock transmitter

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just bought a phantom 2 from a dji dealer and they set it up with the stock transmitter. I start losing video out at like 200 meters and I am not impressed.. I have read in a few places that the transmitter won't even work with a lightbridge very good. Is this true? It is a version 3 so it does have the plug in the back.

I just ran mine out to 1500ft today and lost communication for a split second and I chickened out and turned it around. Sure I could of went further. I was at about 350ft high. What was your height?

Fishon0 said:
Hi guys! I just bought a phantom 2 from a dji dealer and they set it up with the stock transmitter. I start losing video out at like 200 meters and I am not impressed.. I have read in a few places that the transmitter won't even work with a lightbridge very good. Is this true? It is a version 3 so it does have the plug in the back.

The LightBridge completely bypasses the stock Tx and Rx for control and video. I routinely get 500 meters with no loss of signal and the only reason I haven't gone further is I am a wuss :oops: So basically, the actual joystick and the trainer port on the back (assumes use of non-DJI or Phantom 2 V2 (not to be confused with Phantom 2 V+ or anything associated with it) of the controller is all that is used. On the ground side, it plugs into the LB transceiver via the trainer port and on the bird, the Phantom/Naza controller plugs directly into the LB transceiver, bypassing the original receiver completely. I have removed the original receiver on both my P2V1 and P2V2.

Hope that helps...

Fishon0 said:

What transmitter are you using Fishon0? Post up a pic of your setup..

Here's my setup the LB is velcroed to the back I have a different mount ordered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 688
What you display should work just fine. It is a "stock" transmitter but it is V2 which has the gimbal control wheel and battery charge indicator lights on the front. What you hear about "stock" transmitters not working very well is probably related to the older (v1) transmitters which did not have a "trainer" port on the back. The Lightbridge requires this as input from the transmitter which is why all early Lightbridge users could not use the DJI transmitter.

I'm fairly certain that your issue has nothing to do with the transmitter. Please take another photo or two of the bottom of your quad showing clearly the antenna layout, etc. Thanks - Dave

I added the paddle antennas and put them on opposite sides. I have only flown it once and it still doesn't seem to very far without breaking up the signal. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 625
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 575
I may be wrong, but I think patch antennae only radiate forwards and backwards, not sideweays - or up and down for that matter.

What's the range with the supplied antennae?

Also worth checking that the TX is configured to run through the LB and is not running in stand alone - with both the LB and TX on 2.4GHz.

That's just about the exact configuration I am using. Everything looks properly placed and looks like a solid installation. I cannot remember if you had already done all of the resets and adv IMU calibration but if not it's worth a shot.

noiseboy72 said:
I may be wrong, but I think patch antennae only radiate forwards and backwards, not sideweays - or up and down for that matter.

What's the range with the supplied antennae?

Also worth checking that the TX is configured to run through the LB and is not running in stand alone - with both the LB and TX on 2.4GHz.

As long as they are on opposite ends and somewhat perpendicular to one another the antenna placement should be fine, but still it is worth trying a different config. But, like I said, my antennae are pretty much exactly the same with no issues. As for the transmitter, I'm pretty sure that the Phantom Tx turns off when the trainer port is in use. AFAIK, with the Phantom transmitter there is way to turn RF off like there is with other (e.g. Futaba) brands.

If you have gone through everything including resetting everything and then re-calibration, it is possible you have a bad LB. I only say this since I was shipped a DOA LB from Amazon so it does happen. I sent it back and bought the replacement from B&H and it works great. But really go through all resets, etc before sending it back unless someone else has an answer.

I had the same problem. 400 feet limited range. Sent it back to DJI and replacement unit works 1.7 miles
Check the signal strength - I found my left aerial dropped rapidly when I moved away fro the aircraft

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.