Stock Transmitter Vs Futaba 14SG/Taranis Plus Range

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I just setting up a Phantom 2 Version 2.0 with the upgraded transmitter with training port for lightbridge. I see almost everyone upgrades to a aftermarket transmitter (Futaba 8FG/14SG/Taranis Plus). Is there even a benefit for range with swapping transmitter because to my knowledge the Lightbridge handles the Video/Controller signals to quad from ground station? I haven't done a range test yet or flown my lightbridge setup because of the weather here in NY but I don't mind changing the transmitter if it is going to have better range if that is the case. I know about the added benefit of aftermarket controllers but range number one priority.

Any controller, as long as it has a trainer port, would be the same. All control signals are handled by the lightbridge. Just remember to disable rf on the controller, unless you are using one of the newer dji controllers with port. Those disconnect rf automatically. It just comes down to controller feel and user preference.

MartyVT said:
Any controller, as long as it has a trainer port, would be the same. All control signals are handled by the lightbridge. Just remember to disable rf on the controller, unless you are using one of the newer dji controllers with port. Those disconnect rf automatically. It just comes down to controller feel and user preference.
Thanks for confirming, I have the newer style but really like my 8FG when I had it, took a break from the hobby and now I am back . Should have kept my 8FG, great controller. I want a 14SG but boy are they expensive! Was looking at the Taranis Plus but found little info on it working with lightbridge. I think it works but I am not 100% sure.

Most of the bells and whistles from these fancier radios won't matter when using lightbridge, save your money and put it toward batteries.

MartyVT said:
Most of the bells and whistles from these fancier radios won't matter when using lightbridge, save your money and put it toward batteries.

I agree... I switched back from a Futaba 14SG to a std DJI controller with trainer port once they became available. Solely for the sake of simplicity. Some things, however, I miss about the Futaba is the ability to tweak power curves of the throttle and other neat stuff. Just not needed for everyday flying for me.

MartyVT said:

Completely disagree. Expos, tilts, program mixes all very important for shooting smooth video. The stock P2 (non-vision) radio is so good that Lightbridge or not, the only reason for using an after market radio is for the advanced features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31