Stock P2V 2.7 KM (8,850') Long Range Test

Re: Phantom 2 Vision 1.7 KM (5,600 Feet) Long Range Test

Now that you guys have determined the camera's patch antennas are LHCP's, do you think L-Com's 8db LHCP patch panel (or a pair of 'em) on the range extender might offer fairly decent range + less dropout when yaw'ing, say better than a pair of linear TP-9's?

iDrone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 990

duneview said:
PVFlyer said:
szobell said:
Thanks for sharing the video - that is some impressive range!! I'd love to see an image of your antenna setup - please post!

This is my ground station setup of LHCP helical antenna for 2.4G video, and 11 dBi patch panel for 5.8G transmitter.

PVFlyer

many thanks for your testing and posts. Is it possible to purchase 2 of those LHCP helicals?

Briefly searched the web, it came out these 2.4G LHCP helical:

http://www.antennaexperts.in/docs/AH-2400-Datasheet.pdf
http://www.starantenna.com/helical_rhcp ... ntenna.htm
http://www.professionalwireless.com/sal ... lical-lhcp

First & second one seem heavy duty, third one is pretty expensive $450.

Simply because of P2V camera is LHCP, and I need to use LHCP helical to match it. If I use RHCP antenna, there is max -30 dB (1000X) signal lost. My Wifi video link would probably drop out less than 100 meters.

If I really need to go for RHCP helical, I need to change P2V camera antenna to RHCP matching the helical, such as cloverleaf CL or skew planar wheel SPW. This will further introduce another problems, such as:

1. Do I need 1 or 2 CLs or SPWs
2. Payload of 2 antennas
3. Where to install them
4. If I install only 1 on either left or right side, what happy if I yaw P2V left or right, then I may not have LOS to such antenna, thus video may drop out
5. If I install underneath lower the camera to ensure 360 degree yawning with LOS, the antenna is likely longer than landing gear, how can I land
6. If I extend the landing gear, what's the extra payload and how can it fit to my P2V case
So the simplest solution to me is LHCP helical.

PVFlyer. thays true all that you said, a have this questions,

1.- what cual be the diference between LHCP patch panel antenna and LHCP helical antenna? can i get the same range of both?

2.- how much payload will give me 2 CLs or SPWs for the camara ?

3.- so with stock camaras antenas you get 2 km, and 2 helical LHCP? can i just use 1 omni direccional 8db tp link and this LHCP patch panel antenna on the argtek repeater?

4.- if there exist CLs or SPWs LHCP? to put one on the reapeter instead of the onmi, with the helical antenna?
... Etc.

iDrone said:
Now that you guys have determined the camera's patch antennas are LHCP's, do you think L-Com's 8db LHCP patch panel (or a pair of 'em) on the range extender might offer fairly decent range + less dropout when yaw'ing, say better than a pair of linear TP-9's?

iDrone

I believe 8 dBi LHCP panel should be better than 9 dBi (effective 6 dBi only with -3 dBi lost due to mismatching polarization) linear panel. Circular polarization usually gets less multipath interference, thus stabler video.

Thanks PVFlyer & also themosttoys for all the R&DYI-D, really good info & experience you guys are discovering & sharing. I'll order the LHCP panel and give it a go & report back.

On another related item, have you or anyone measured the power out of the two range extender spickets? I ask because I'm measuring 45-62mw peak on one and 24-26mw on the other using an ImnersionRC meter suggesting I either have an NG extender or one is purposed for the Vision and the other (lower) for the nearby phone/pad.

[Edit: I had a bad test cable, see my later post for the final test results:] http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183&start=70#p63278

iDrone

iDrone said:
Thanks PVFlyer & also themosttoys for all the R&DYI-D, really good info & experience you guys are discovering & sharing. I'll order the LHCP panel and give it a go & report back.

On another related item, have you or anyone measured the power out of the two range extender spickets? I ask because I'm measuring 45-62mw peak on one and 24-26mw on the other using an ImnersionRC meter suggesting I either have an NG extender or one is purposed for the Vision and the other (lower) for the nearby phone/pad.

iDrone

IDrone.. Which of the two antenna outputs is showing 45-62mw, looking at the extender with the antenna outlets facing you at the bottom ? Thanks..

iDrone said:
iDrone

Did you connect directly to the repeater outputs? Or monitor via antennas?

FPV col said:
iDrone said:

iDrone
IDrone.. Which of the two antenna outputs is showing 45-62mw, looking at the extender with the antenna outlets facing you at the bottom ? Thanks..
There's a few "if's" to consider before everyone starts connecting their gain antennas to one connector over the other, but I'm getting the rated output on the one closest to the silkscreened letter "i" in DJI.

That's "if" others who have RF power meters can test & confirm similar measurements, and "if" DJI consistently sets one to communicate with Vision at higher power and the other to communicate with your nearby phone on lower power, and another "if" that they do that consistently from unit to unit if it's done in software (eg: setpower0 50, setpower1 25).

On the surface it would make sense to not saturate the front-end of the phone's wifi receiver, and to maximize extender battery life by consuming less power. But let's see what others measure, I may just have a bad extender with one low side.

iDrone

gpauk said:
iDrone said:
iDrone
Did you connect directly to the repeater outputs? Or monitor via antennas?
Measured directly at the extender's outputs thru RP-SMA pigtails.

iDrone

Are helical antennas different from linear antenna ?
The way I understood it is that if I use a 5.8 helical on a 2.4 system I would just loose a couple dbi
Is this not true ?

mr_3_0_5 said:
Are helical antennas different from linear antenna ?
The way I understood it is that if I use a 5.8 helical on a 2.4 system I would just loose a couple dbi
Is this not true ?

I doubt about that unless some dual-band antennas designed for both 2.4G and 5-5.8G.

iDrone said:
FPV col said:
iDrone said:

iDrone
There's a few "if's" to consider before everyone starts connecting their gain antennas to one connector over the other, but I'm getting the rated output on the one closest to the silkscreened letter "i" in DJI.

That's "if" others who have RF power meters can test & confirm similar measurements, and "if" DJI consistently sets one to communicate with Vision at higher power and the other to communicate with your nearby phone on lower power, and another "if" that they do that consistently from unit to unit if it's done in software (eg: setpower0 50, setpower1 25).

On the surface it would make sense to not saturate the front-end of the phone's wifi receiver, and to maximize extender battery life by consuming less power. But let's see what others measure, I may just have a bad extender with one low side.

iDrone

Yes that's definitely a few "if's" :) but well explaind thanks.. Just for the record I'm using the same output side you quoted and can get good range with my patch mod..

oukenfold said:
PVFlyer. thays true all that you said, a have this questions,

1.- what cual be the diference between LHCP patch panel antenna and LHCP helical antenna? can i get the same range of both?

2.- how much payload will give me 2 CLs or SPWs for the camara ?

3.- so with stock camaras antenas you get 2 km, and 2 helical LHCP? can i just use 1 omni direccional 8db tp link and this LHCP patch panel antenna on the argtek repeater?

4.- if there exist CLs or SPWs LHCP? to put one on the reapeter instead of the onmi, with the helical antenna?
... Etc.

1. Theoretically, same spec LHCP antennas should perform the same, but gain dBi is not the only characteristic of antenna. Axial ratio, SWR, beam width should also be considered in terms of FPV performance. In general speaking, helical has better axial ratio & SWR.

2. I guess each weight 15-25g, plus SMA jack, cable, etc.

3. Yes, I flew 2.3 KM with stock camera antennas. I believe it can get >3KM on wifi video link, but 5.8G control link dropped at 2.3 KM. I will try a simple mod on 5.8G transmitter. Once I figure out the 5.8G control link, I will test it again.
You can combine omni & directional patch on ARGtek repeater.

4. Yes, you may use LHCP CL or SPW to replace the omni on repeater, but keep some distance between antennas. I suggest to segregate them min. 13 cm apart to avoid interference between them.

FPV col said:
Yes that's definitely a few "if's" :) but well explaind thanks.. Just for the record I'm using the same output side you quoted and can get good range with my patch mod..
Well I just found out my imported test pigtail was the culprit. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and the results are much better & consistent.

Test conditions: Fully charged Vision & Extender batteries tested off the top 10-minutes, ImmersionRC w/30dBi attenuator in Peak mode, direct connection via RP-SMA heavy gauge pigtail to Extender, Vision / Extender / Controller / iPad mini all linked.

Results: "i" terminal*: 112.20mw peak, 107.98 nominal / "D" terminal*: 184.78 peak, 177.83 nominal

Interesting thing about the "D" terminal is that it drops to 158.49mw when playing back videoclips over the iPad mini. The "i" terminal doesn't budge when doing the same thing.

Sorry about the earlier numbers, still be interesting to see what other P2V'ers extenders are putting out.

iDrone

* {"i" terminal is closest to the silk screened letter "i" in DJI, and "D" terminal is closest to the letter "D" to avoid left-right ambiguity}

iDrone said:
FPV col said:
Well I just found out my imported test pigtail was the culprit. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and the results are much better & consistent.

Test conditions: Fully charged Vision & Extender batteries tested off the top 10-minutes, ImmersionRC w/30dBi attenuator in Peak mode, direct connection via RP-SMA heavy gauge pigtail to Extender, Vision / Extender / Controller / iPad mini all linked.

Results: "i" terminal*: 112.20mw peak, 107.98 nominal / "D" terminal*: 184.78 peak, 177.83 nominal

Interesting thing about the "D" terminal is that it drops to 158.49mw when playing back videoclips over the iPad mini. The "i" terminal doesn't budge when doing the same thing.

Sorry about the earlier numbers, still be interesting to see what other P2V'ers extenders are putting out.

iDrone

* {"i" terminal is closest to the silk screened letter "i" in DJI, and "D" terminal is closest to the letter "D" to avoid left-right ambiguity}

Thanks again for the testing. It makes a lot more sense than previous test results.

It also implies good quality antenna cable/plug playing important role.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl