Stock P2V 2.7 KM (8,850') Long Range Test

Re: Phantom 2 Vision 1.7 KM (5,600 Feet) Long Range Test

PVFlyer said:
I use UBNT Rocket M2 (http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#rocketm) to connect P2V, which is NOT a range extender (universal repeater). It's a bit complicated to use Rocket M2 connecting P2V.

This is great. Could you explain a little more about the Rocket M2? What it is? How it differs from a range extender? How you integrated it into your set up? How you set up the device itself?

Thank you!

Dan.

danvet said:
PVFlyer said:
I use UBNT Rocket M2 (http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#rocketm) to connect P2V, which is NOT a range extender (universal repeater). It's a bit complicated to use Rocket M2 connecting P2V.

This is great. Could you explain a little more about the Rocket M2? What it is? How it differs from a range extender? How you integrated it into your set up? How you set up the device itself?

Thank you!

Dan.

UBNT Rocket M2 is a professional grade Wifi AP/Station running AirOS. It does NOT have a range extender mode. For connecting to P2V, I need to add an AP (any AP for short range) for connecting my iPhone to Rocket M2 as below.

P2V <------> Rocket M2 <==> AP <--> iPhone
where <------> is long range wireless, <--> is short range wireless, <==> is short ethernet cable

Personally, I don't recommend Rocket M2 for general P2V flying purpose. It's way too complicated for casual flyers to configure the whole setup, plus it needs 12V-24V PoE as power supply.

If you use SR10000 as a repeater, then you do NOT need ARGtek nor the stock repeater. Simply use SR10000 to REPLACE the role of stock repeater. The connection is something like the case below.

Case 1. P2V Camera <--> SR10000 <--> mobile phone (iOS/Android device)
Case 2. P2V Camera <--> ARGtek <--> mobile phone (iOS/Android device)
Case 3. P2V Camera <--> DJI repeater <--> mobile phone (iOS/Android device)

You can simply configure SR10000 (or ARGtek) binding P2V camera with specified SSID as other threads described.[/quote]

goy it, thanks PVflyer

oukenfold said:
If you use SR10000 as a repeater, then you do NOT need ARGtek nor the stock repeater. Simply use SR10000 to REPLACE the role of stock repeater. The connection is something like the case below.

You can simply configure SR10000 (or ARGtek) binding P2V camera with specified SSID as other threads described.

goy it, thanks PVflyer
[/quote]

If you decided which repeater to go for, you may share with us and let us know your result.

oukenfold said:

You can simply configure SR10000 (or ARGtek) binding P2V camera with specified SSID as other threads described.

goy it, thanks PVflyer
[/quote]
maybe I missed this, but how do you power up the SR1000? sorry if it was already stated

whitelens said:
oukenfold said:

goy it, thanks PVflyer
maybe I missed this, but how do you power up the SR1000? sorry if it was already stated[/quote]

For the Docooler and other equipment I use this : http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Pi ... s=poweradd

themosttoys said:
whitelens said:
oukenfold said:

goy it, thanks PVflyer
maybe I missed this, but how do you power up the SR1000? sorry if it was already stated

For the Docooler and other equipment I use this : http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Pi ... s=poweradd[/quote]

SR10000 requires 12V, which is the same voltage and power socket as ARGtek. I simply use old Li-po 3S battaries (2200 mah or any capacity) to power my SR10000. I think you can share the same Poweradd to power SR10000.

PVFlyer said:
danvet said:
PVFlyer said:

Thank you!

Dan.

UBNT Rocket M2 is a professional grade Wifi AP/Station running AirOS. It does NOT have a range extender mode. For connecting to P2V, I need to add an AP (any AP for short range) for connecting my iPhone to Rocket M2 as below.

P2V <------> Rocket M2 <==> AP <--> iPhone
where <------> is long range wireless, <--> is short range wireless, <==> is short ethernet cable

Personally, I don't recommend Rocket M2 for general P2V flying purpose. It's way too complicated for casual flyers to configure the whole setup, plus it needs 12V-24V PoE as power supply.

Great work! What is the gain on those home made cannons???

May I ask about the 5.8Ghz link? Did you need to do anything there, or is the WiFi link the limiting factor to range?? If the stock 5.8Ghz control goes 1.7km I'm amazed!

I have the docooler setup with 9db Omni's but haven't tested the limits yet, so far I'm happy though.

BTW I am able to get to the docooler control gui without having to reset the router, either with a direct cable to my laptop or wireless from my iPad. I have accessed it but haven't needed to make any changes since setting it up but it looks like it's no problem to do.

RemE said:
Great work! May I ask about the 5.8Ghz link? Did you need to do anything there, or is the WiFi link the limiting factor to range?? If the stock 5.8Ghz control goes 1.7km I'm amazed!

For 5.8G transmitter, I changed to a small 11 dB panel http://www.amazon.com/JMT-High-gain-Ant ... el+antenna. I estimate this panel providing >2.5 KM range in open field without booster.

I believe the Wifi video downlink can go >2 KM without booster on P2V. I'm tuning my homebrew helical during this Chinese New Year holiday by adding a cross-frame to make it stiffer. Hope this will stabilize and optimize the RF signal. I need to buy a SWR meter after the holiday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,003

RemE said:
Great work! May I ask about the 5.8Ghz link? Did you need to do anything there, or is the WiFi link the limiting factor to range?? If the stock 5.8Ghz control goes 1.7km I'm amazed!

I have the docooler setup with 9db Omni's but haven't tested the limits yet.

Under perfect conditions, the 5.8Ghz TX works to 1.1 miles (I have tested to >5800 feet). Replace the TX antenna with a patch (as I believe PVFlyer has done) and it will theoretically extend it to 2.5 miles, but I've not yet tested that and have not seen it proven. I have the antenna and plan to someday test it.

PVFlyer said:
RemE said:

For 5.8G transmitter, I changed to a small 11 dB panel http://www.amazon.com/JMT-High-gain-Ant ... el+antenna. I estimate this panel providing >2.5 KM range in open field without booster.

I believe the Wifi video downlink can go >2 KM. I'm tuning my homebrew helical during this Chinese New Year holiday by adding a cross-frame to make it stiffer. Hope this will stabilize and optimize the RF signal. I need to buy a SWR meter after the holiday.

Great, So when you change the TX to a patch is that 45 degree pattern easy to deal with? I mean now you really need to somewhat pay more attention to pointing at the model. But that's what we do currently with the stock WiFi Range extender so why not the TX as well I guess.

RemE said:
Also, what do you think of this 13db patch for the TX?
http://immersionrc.com/product-details. ... e=SpiroNET Patch, 5.8GHz CP Antenna

I use one of these with the P2Z for the 5.8Ghz Video RX and it is a great antenna, small and compact, but not cheap!

Edit - Strike that, I forgot that it's circular polarized, never mind!

You can use that, you will lose 3dbi but it will work.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

themosttoys said:
RemE said:

I use one of these with the P2Z for the 5.8Ghz Video RX and it is a great antenna, small and compact, but not cheap!

Ahhh, I'm an electronics guy, but not R/F, so we only loose 3db mixing Circular and Linear polarized antennas?? So this patch is still good for 10db, nice!

RemE said:
PVFlyer said:
RemE said:

I believe the Wifi video downlink can go >2 KM. I'm tuning my homebrew helical during this Chinese New Year holiday by adding a cross-frame to make it stiffer. Hope this will stabilize and optimize the RF signal. I need to buy a SWR meter after the holiday.

Great, So when you change the TX to a patch is that 45 degree pattern easy to deal with? I mean now you really need to somewhat pay more attention to pointing at the model. But that's what we do currently with the stock WiFi Range extender so why not the TX as well I guess.

The panel beamwidth is 45 degree horizontal 30 degree vertical according to the spec. 45 degree beamwidth means -3 dB lost if you fly beyond that angle, but it does not mean that no RF signal at all beyond such angle. The more angle away from central axis, the higher -dB lost.

Imagine, if you fly 1 KM range, 45 degree (22.5 degree on each left & right) means 250+ meters away from central axis. For long range flight, I usually prepare my flight plan in advance and just don't fly too far away from the plan.

RemE said:
themosttoys said:
RemE said:

Ahhh, I'm an electronics guy, but not R/F, so we only loose 3db mixing Circular and Linear polarized antennas?? So this patch is still good for 10db, nice!

When circular polarization pairing with linear, you have 3 dB lost. The video is on 2.4G Wifi, I'm unsure how it works with 5.8G antenna though.

RemE said:
themosttoys said:
RemE said:

Correct. BTW, you are losing the same 3dbi by using the linear wifi antenna. The P2V camera uses circular polarized antenna.

themosttoys said:
Correct. BTW, you are losing the same 3dbi by using the linear wifi antenna. The P2V camera uses circular polarized antenna.

??? I thought the stock Vision's video WiFi patch antennas were linear???

PVFlyer said:
The panel beamwidth is 45 degree horizontal 30 degree vertical according to the spec. 45 degree beamwidth means -3 dB lost if you fly beyond that angle, but it does not mean that no RF signal at all beyond such angle. The more angle away from central axis, the higher -dB lost.

Imagine, if you fly 1 KM range, 45 degree (22.5 degree on each left & right) means 250+ meters away from central axis. For long range flight, I usually prepare my flight plan in advance and just don't fly too far away from the plan.

Makes perfect sense. I've got the RP-SMA adapter cable for the TX to put a connector on it so I can swap antennas. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Since you have so much experience, what do you expect the range is for the Docooler 1500mW repeater with 9db dipoles on it to be? Just looking for a educated guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj