stock motor

yappy said:
Are the stock motors really 2212/920kv ?

Thats what are marked on my motors, but they are grey.

When i search online i see red ones.

But this website says differently: http://www.dronesvision.com/dji-p330-ph ... f450-f550/

Confused. I want to get the correct motor.

Grey are stock motors. Red are replacement for DJI quadrotors including Phantom. Their shaft is smaller so you need adapter to fit stock props or use standar 8x5 DJI props.

Sometimes when I power up my phantom I see 1 motor start to spins last.

3 spins at the same time on start up and 1 spins like 1-2s after.

If i shut it back down and restart them, all 4 spins at the same time.

Does this mean something is wrong with the motor ?

Also another motor on the phantom is very grinding, what does that mean?

noises from the motors usually have to do with bearings going out. There are 2 per motor. I use bearing oil with a needle type spout to get into tight small areas. I oil my bearings maybe once every 5 runs with 2 or 3 drops. This will make the bearings last a lot longer. I hear there is a bearing rebuild kit for these motors but anyone can go to the hobby shop and get the correct sized and rated bearing to replace. I want to say the stock bearings are shielded bearings typically for high speed use. Bearings are pretty easy to get to and don't take much to replace. Cost 1 to 3 dollars per bearing depending on their quality and brand name. I'd stay away from Traxxas bearings as I feel they are junk and that comes from personal experience. Boca, Avid, Acer are good names.

I haven't balanced my motors, pulled them out or oiled a bearing. i've had 30 flights now, totalling about 200 minutes, a few hard landings and I'm on my third set of props. I balance the props on a dubro and check the IMU after each flying session, it usually requires a software basic calibration each time.

Tonight I ran the quad in my house, in ATTI, with a fresh battery at a low setting, not enough to lift, until it ran the battery down to red lights flashing. That took 45 minutes, and the battery was at 10.7 volts on my voltmeter. Was nice having the fan effect except for dust bunnies blowing around! I immediately checked the four motors for temperature with a point and shoot temperature sensor that measures a spot 1 cm in size. The outside of the motors were 28c plus or minus .5c, ambient temp was 22c. The coils in the motors all were around 30c plus or minus .5c. Each motor was slightly different, a degree or so, but because this was done in my house they should all pretty close. Not a lot of variation.

I've read in these forums that if one motor feels warm it may be about to fail from bearings etc. The Thermohawk 420 thermometer pen is about $40 on ebay and is a lot better and faster than guessing with your fingers which is warmer. Its also useful for checking out sick kids or hot spots in car engines! So i'm assuming all is well and I dont need to oil/balance/replace anything. yet! I'd be interested in others experience about why you changed out the motors or what maintenance you do on them.

jumanoc said:
Grey are stock motors. Red are replacement for DJI quadrotors including Phantom. Their shaft is smaller so you need adapter to fit stock props or use standar 8x5 DJI props.

I bought DJI red motors to replace a few of my Phantom motors (one was in a crash, and had a slight nick in it, so figured i'd replace it anyhow)
. they are nearly identical to the Phantom motors - however they have bullet connectors and the wires aren't color coded.
But the prop shafts are identical.

But if one of your motors is making a noise, you definitely want to look into replacing the bearing or the whole thing.

freelanceshots said:
noises from the motors usually have to do with bearings going out. There are 2 per motor. I use bearing oil with a needle type spout to get into tight small areas. I oil my bearings maybe once every 5 runs with 2 or 3 drops. This will make the bearings last a lot longer. I hear there is a bearing rebuild kit for these motors but anyone can go to the hobby shop and get the correct sized and rated bearing to replace. I want to say the stock bearings are shielded bearings typically for high speed use. Bearings are pretty easy to get to and don't take much to replace. Cost 1 to 3 dollars per bearing depending on their quality and brand name. I'd stay away from Traxxas bearings as I feel they are junk and that comes from personal experience. Boca, Avid, Acer are good names.

Coming out of Texas (the land of Traxxis and Avid) all I can say is all bearings come from China. I still order from David Joor (Owner of Avid) cause he's a friend but his are still out of China.

mercillus said:
freelanceshots said:

Coming out of Texas (the land of Traxxis and Avid) all I can say is all bearings come from China. I still order from David Joor (Owner of Avid) cause he's a friend but his are still out of China.

what was that line from the movie "Armageddon"? "Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr