Stock Motor/Bearing Issues on DJI Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 Vision which I enjoy a lot. I have taken it out for 3 or 4 flight of about 15 minutes each. Everything was flawless on every flight.

I have had the Phantom inside for the past few days and have noticed 2 different potential motor/bearing issues after examining it:

First issue: The back right motor on the quadcopter is very "notchy", more so than the other 3 motors. It has much more coarse turns than other 3 as well. There doesn't seem to be much resistance, just more coarse turning.

Second issue: The back left motor makes a slight noise when I spin it pretty fast with my hand. The other 3 motors seem virtually silent. When I land the quadcopter, this motor does stop quite a bit sooner as well. There might be a little more resistance on this motor than the others, but not significantly more.

Are either of these a problem and if so how should I fix it?

Thanks a ton.

The bearings are replaceable. There are Youtube videos about it. It's not too hard, except:
- the little e-clip tends to want to fly away when you remove it
- sometimes you need to push quite hard to get a bearing out
Some bearing replacement kits come with new e-clips, so at least that solves the first problem.
You can find the kits on ebay by searching for: dji phantom bearings.

The not by motor could just be a difference in magnets, that one being a little stronger so you feel it mor between the poles. If i remember right some guys had an issue with the thrust washer behind the eclip rubbing on some motors. Your shaft may have moved and be putting to much pressure on it. With only 4 flights I'd talk to the retailer you purchased it from before replacing bearings your self. I've gotten replacement bearings from avid racing .com There cheap and decent but don't come with spare clips or thrust washers

Thanks for the replies. Do you think my phantom is safe to fly or should I wait and get the motors or bearings replaced?

aj5619 said:
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 Vision which I enjoy a lot. I have taken it out for 3 or 4 flight of about 15 minutes each. Everything was flawless on every flight.

I have had the Phantom inside for the past few days and have noticed 2 different potential motor/bearing issues after examining it:

First issue: The back right motor on the quadcopter is very "notchy", more so than the other 3 motors. It has much more coarse turns than other 3 as well. There doesn't seem to be much resistance, just more coarse turning.

Second issue: The back left motor makes a slight noise when I spin it pretty fast with my hand. The other 3 motors seem virtually silent. When I land the quadcopter, this motor does stop quite a bit sooner as well. There might be a little more resistance on this motor than the others, but not significantly more.

Thanks a ton.

Depending on where you bought it and how recently, look into sending it back for a replacement. This is what I do for our customers. Otherwise, it is under warranty, so you might want to consider that option. At the very least, DJI should pay for replacement motors, but they will want a return and at this time of the year, who knows when you will get it back.

PhantomFanatic said:
aj5619 said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks a ton.

Depending on where you bought it and how recently, look into sending it back for a replacement. This is what I do for our customers. Otherwise, it is under warranty, so you might want to consider that option. At the very least, DJI should pay for replacement motors, but they will want a return and at this time of the year, who knows when you will get it back.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buy 4 sets of ABEC-5 bearings. I have heard the stock DJI bearings are pretty bad quality. If the new bearings don't fix the problem, I will contact DJI. I have already contacted B and H photo, where I purchased the Phantom from about a week ago, but they just wanted me to buy new motors, paying full price. I'm assuming the new bearings will solve the problem?

Motors are fine.

As others have said there are a minor differences in the 'cogging' that each motor has due to magnet differences.

Mine are not the same and have flown over 100 flights since May '14.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers