Stills vs Video Capture Grab

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to test this. I want to compare a video still grab to a still photo. I figure the still is better but since Video needs to be stopped to capture an image I, sometimes grab a video frame from the HD Video.

Opinions?

A 4k frame is around 8 Mega pixel. Quality and the flexibility of so many frames is fine for me doing surveys for building point clouds and orthomossaics. It might not be good enough though for more purest photography.

A video frame grab is only going to have the same resolution as what your video card is sending to the screen.
That's going to be much less than the resolution of a still.
Phantom 2V+ res = 4384 x 3288 My screen res = 1920 x 1200
That's 14.4 million pixels vs 2.3 million pixels
If you are wanting quality photography, frame grabs aren't the answer.

Its got nothing to do with screen resolution. I am referring to saving a frame from video editing software at the 4k resolution not a screen grab.

A frame grab will give a just about OK results if you just wanted a still at small size.
I sometimes do it to make a youtube thumbnail for example and they look reasonable up to maybe 800 pixels longest side.
I do find it annoying that in pausing video to take a still 'at the best bit' you can find a video cut is needed as something has moved.

IrishSights said:
Its got nothing to do with screen resolution. I am referring to saving a frame from video editing software at the 4k resolution not a screen grab.
OK .. I was answering for the OP who asked about HD - 1080P
But if you're shooting @ 4K then that's 14.4 million pixels (still) vs 8.3 million pixels (video)

Difference depends on Phantom's camera format settings. Generally, a still photo from the Phantom has about 5x the pixel density as a video clip.

A Vision+ jpeg at 14 megapixels is generally about 4mb in size. The same image in RAW is about a 25mb file. Grabbing an image from 1080p video results in about a 2mb file give or take 1/2mb. While good for a image on the net, its not going to have the quality of a RAW file or a original JPEG. It will show some noise from compression in the MP4 format.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic